Thread: how to keep CRS in a stable cherry shrimp tank

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Default how to keep CRS in a stable cherry shrimp tank

oh dear ...brought some CRS back.....they are so beautiful...when cherry is beside them then i reaslise CRS are so pretty...and cherry are so humble looking

Looks like i am going to invest on a chiller but can i seek expert advise how can i lower PH level consistently.
    1) add ada now => likely to cause ammonia spike
    2) ketapang leave => ugly water...what is the point when shrimp are beautiful but water are brown?
    3) add lowering PH dosing => cant keep PH constant...will stress shrimp

So i am at a lost how to make my present cherry shrimp suitable for my CRS
    Appreciate any expert advise.

AA24

if you wanna use ada.. then just soak it in a pail for a week - 10 days.. every day do a water change.. then you can put in ada in portions over a week... only problem you might get is the ada soil will crumble a little bit every time you shake it about with the water change.. but should be ok..

OR... set up another tank... use old water from your 1st tank.. then the cycle will be very fast.. think about 10 days ..

Regular
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks

You still haven't memtion your pH. Most adult CRS can do fine for pH up to 7.8. That's my tap water.
    But my tank is a planted tank, so invariably it swings to around 7.4 in a week, before I do another water change and swing it back to 7.8. They breed and a few shrimpletts will survive.
    Working under a higher pH just means your popluation growth is slower. It just means you won't be mass breeding your CRS. But over time, your population will grow and you'll have to start taking some out.
    The catch with tanks with a higher pH is that you can't really selectively breed them to a higher grade because too many baby shrimp die. And the shrimp that survive just means he/she is stronger than his/her sibling. And being "pretty" is not a factor in determining their ability to live under a higher pH.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by skysky View Post
    oh dear ...brought some CRS back.....they are so beautiful...when cherry is beside them then i reaslise CRS are so pretty...and cherry are so humble looking

Looks like i am going to invest on a chiller but can i seek expert advise how can i lower PH level consistently.
    1) add ada now => likely to cause ammonia spike
    2) ketapang leave => ugly water...what is the point when shrimp are beautiful but water are brown?
    3) add lowering PH dosing => cant keep PH constant...will stress shrimp

So i am at a lost how to make my present cherry shrimp suitable for my CRS
    Appreciate any expert advise.
    It is not alway true that adding adasoil will cause ammonia spike. You can add small amount at a time without raising the ammonia level with the help of good biofilter.

Use Africanna, by nature, it has very low ammonia, Amozonia has quite a bit of ammonia, but still safe to add into your tank, little by little.

Senior
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Images

I always have very bad luck with CRS in alkalin water , i see lot of people in europe have success with crs in this sort water, is it because my source of crs suck or is it me ?

Regular
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zapisto View Post
    I always have very bad luck with CRS in alkalin water , i see lot of people in europe have success with crs in this sort water, is it because my source of crs suck or is it me ?
    Alkalinity is only one of a few factors. Your water needs to be clean. Almost 0 in ammonia, nitrite and low nitrate. It has to be at least 5G+. Smaller ones require some skills.
    Java moss is not a must but it does help shelter and raise your young shrimps. I find that some kind of plant is a must. My shrimps don't do well in un planted tanks. You need to do an average of 1 water changes per week, even if it's 0 in ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
    Lastly, you need to make sure your tank and subtrate weren't medicated with a copper med in the past 2 years.

Senior
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Images

Well ,
    i think you did not get my question Well
    I am really not new in fish and shrimp keeping , i am already breed some other species and my water is clean , a bit too clean

it hard for me to have water higher than 6.5 usually, i use to kept dwarfcichlids and i am breeding hard dwarf and fish who need very acidic water.

my question is , how come some people are people to maintain and breed CRS in 7.6 water ?

Thread Information