Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Safe way to remove snails without harming crystals reds

Aaron

As i said in winter here humidity rises....the dehumidifier is almost always on..

Second i never said i leave the tweezer in the sun or rain (its obvious that the reasons for rusting would be those conditions) ...its on a self under a wide tent... and i mostly use it to feed...

Aaron

edit: although being outside rather then inside would create more favorable conditions for rusting...

echosaisis

Tweezing not being an option, what are other options? Does anyone know if clown loaches like to mess up arrangements of plants? It might be easier for me to remove the shrimp or add a clown loach while the shrimp have not been added yet and then remove the clown loach after all the snails are gone?

Regular
    Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Kenshin you are right about the humidity. Colder air cannot hold as much water, so durring winter there is a lower relative humidity. Meaning the percent humidity may be higher or the same as in the summer but the total amount of water in the air should be lower. ie 50 percent humidity at 80 degrees F is a lot higher than 50 percent humidity at 60 degrees F.

Aaron

Clown loaches start to attack tender leaves by punching holes in them. The specie of plants are important in determining which plants the loach might attack, it depending on the size of the fish.

I advise to add YoYo (Pakistan) Loach, which will surely eliminate the problem of snails witout attacking any leaves.

Aaron

echosaisis

OOOOOOOOOO yoyo loach excellent idea, thank you!

Plants are watersprite, java moss, christmas moss, java fern, foxtail, riccia fluritans

Aaron

echosaisis...you'r welcome...yes the YoYo Loach is the ideal one...

Aaron

Kenshin

How big is your tank first of all, echosaisis? If you have a small tank, then I really advise you do not put your loaches in there. You will never (or barely) see any shrimplets in the future since loaches WILL HUNT DOWN invertebrates as well (especially given the amount of tank you space you provided for the shrimps in the first place).

Another thing is this. Please try not to be lazy when it comes to aquarium hobby. Even if you do not want to use a stainless steel tweezer (because of what Aaron stated, based on clueless information), you can still use a plastic tweezer to fish out the snails. You can even use your fingers or a fish net to fish them out. That is the only way to slowly eliminate the number of unwanted snails in the tank (besides using chemicals and other fishes). How hard is that? Just pick them out whenever you get the time to observe your tank. You must be very lazy to even not do that!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Images

When you are feeding tablets or cucumber the snails are concentrated at one point. That´s better than to pick them up here and there.
    Macrobrachium shrimps eating snails too. Maybe other members can give more informations wich species would be right.

Aaron

Kenshin, i didnt based on clueless information...not every part of a tweezer can be dried, and if a hobbyist have those particular environmentalconditions that will decrease the rate of evaporation of water from the small parts of the stainless steel then yes it will rust...

Aaron

edit: and Kenshin, echosaisis intend to remove the shrimps from the tank...put the loaches...make sure all snails are eaten, remove the loaches and replace the shrimps into the tank which is now free of snails...in my opinion there is no risk for the shrimplets being HUNTED DOWN SINCE THE LOACHES ARE REMOVED...don't you think so?!.

Aaron

Frank thats a good idea, Macrobrachium are sometimes known for their predatory and aggressive behaviors towards other tank mates (and will surly eat the snails and shrimps as weel), but Macrobrachium cf. mirabile is a peaceful shrimp that will not harm your shrimp...Although i dont know if it will attempt and eat small shrimplets...

Aaron

Thread Information