Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ph and GH question for CRS

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Default Ph and GH question for CRS

I am about to get some crs. My water out of the tap has a ph of 8.0. what I was wanting to know is can i use like ph down product to bring the ph to 6.7 or are those kind of products not safe for crs? I have a low light tank with plenty of moss and other low light plants so I don't plan on using co2 which would bring the ph down. I also have hard water. What would be the best thing to do to get the water softer. My tank is 20 gallons so buying water would get kinda expensive.
    I would appreciate any suggestions you have.
    Thanks

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks
    Images

Please dont try to use any fluid pH down products~ it is not good for the CRS at all~ you might try some coconut matting to get the pH down a bit~ clean the coconut matting and put into a cotton bag. drop it into your tank and keep checking the pH. you might see the difference~

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Hi Roisu,

Thank for the suggestion. I tried it before using coconut net as part of filter medium, the water is very very clean and pH drop.

sunmiztres,
    I heard hobbyists in USA uses HCl acidic to treat their hard water.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

I have been using R/O water in my CRS tank and it works great since it provides them with clean, soft and acidic conditions. You can add R/O water to tap water to soften it and lower the pH or you can use pure R/O water.

About the cost, you can invest one time on an R/O unit for as low as $100 or just buy it at the local grocery store vending machine like I do for $0.30 a gallon. If you chose the second option it will cost you $1.50 for each 25% water change. Hope this helps you out .

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it

One question, when using pure R/O water do you have to add anything to it to get it just right or is Pure R/O water good all by itself?
    Thanks Again

Kenshin

Hi Sunmiztres,

If you want some pure HCl, I can send you some since I work in a laboratory. I have sent HCl to other people in USA already. I can send you a 50% strength or a 25% strength diluted with pure RO water. Just pay for shipping and the HCl is free.

The key is not to add too much HCl (therefore I recommend the 50% strength) so it would not make your water hard in the future (bad for CRS to have hard water). I have 20 gallon long tanks myself, and usually I only add 7 drops of 50% HCl to lower the pH from 7.0 to 6.8 when I first set it up. My tap water has a neutral pH of 7.0 and very soft.

Also, what kind of tools do you use to measure your pH? The strip tests they sell here in USA are not accurate at all. I would recommend a pHep 5. They costs a little bit more (around $68 to $70), but it is worth the investment since they last forever (without every changing probes) and super accurate.

Other stuff that can lower pH in the market has a lot of phosphate buffer in it in which in the long run can ruin your tank with algae and build up of toxicity in addition to potassium as well. Once you can lower the pH that you want, everytime you carry out a water change, you probably just need to add 1 or 2 drops (the most) of the 50% HCl to maintain the pH at around 6.7 to 6.8 (depending on how often you change your water).

Also, when you use 50% HCl, you only add 2 or 3 drops at a time and wait at least 12 to 24 hours to measure the pH to make sure it has been lowered. If you measure the pH right after you add the HCl is not accurate at all.

Finally, your tank's pH also depends on what kind of substrate you use to breed your CRS. Never use Seachem Sand Oxyn because they raise your pH. ADA soil or Flourite are one of the best choices for CRS. You can try to use Florabase (almost like ADA soil) but it can help to lower you tank's pH for only up to a year. However, it is a good substrate (price wise as well) because it helps you to lower your pH in the beginning when you set up your tank (probably adding only around 5 drops or so to lower the pH) and you only need to add 1 or 2 drops of HCl when you carry out your water changes (again depends on your schedule of water changes). The color of Florabase (light brown) is also a very good color to display your CRS especially the shrimplets.

I hope this helps.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Thanks for all the input Kenshin. How much for shipping? I am alittle confused about the HCI. Does HCI make water softer or does it lower PH.silane mentioned above in the post that people use it to treat their hard water. I need both.
    The CRS are suppose to be here Friday so I think I am going to go buy some r/o water and mix it with tap water to get the figures good for now. I have the Milwaukee PH controllers that I use for PH testing. I calibrate them every month. I just need to find an accurate test for testing the GH. I have the drop tests for that but not sure how accurate they are.
    Thanks again for the help.

Kenshin

GH is not that important actually for CRS or "most" shrimps in general. It is the kH that is more important (carbonate hardness). GH is just the amount of calcium and magnesium ions dissolved in your water. CRS needs it anyway to develop their shells and their colors. So do not worry about that. HCl (hydrocholoric acid) is just used to lower the pH. If you add too much, you will increase other ions in the water such as chloride ions and hydrogen ions. That will increase your kH which increase your water hardness. They sell kits out there to test for kH and GH. Check out www.drsfostersmith.com. Shipping will be $6 for me to send you some HCl.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

... the reason I laugh is because the man I bought the Crs from said he doesn't worry about the KH at all. He said it's the GH he worries about. Now I am worried about all of it.

Please tell me what is good water parameters for CRS (KH, GH, PH, TEmp) I am really hoping to breed them and want to get the water right.

I have RCS, Amano, and other types of shrimp that do great but was told CRS are much more sensitive, more so if you want to breed them and have the young survive. Is this true?

I do have a kit for the GH and KH. Right now my Gh is 4 and my Ph is 7.4. This is with half tap water and half r/o water. Normally with just tap water my Ph is 8 and my gh is 8. I will now test the KH. I didn't since the man I am buying the crs from said not to worry about the kh.
    thanks again for all the help.

Note: I tested my Kh and it is 5. Is this good or bad for CRS?

Kenshin

Alright, just read this article on this website because it teaches very clearly on the GH, kH, and pH.

http://www.drhelm.com/aquarium/chemistry.html

Thread Information