Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pest snails; how do I get rid of them

gibbus

Default pest snails; how do I get rid of them

Hi, I have a planted tank with shrimp. Problem is its gotten infested by snails! How do I get rid of them without harming the shrimp?

Country
    United_States
    Thanks
    Images

How often do you feed your shrimp? How heavily planted is the tank? Snail infestations usually are directly proportional to the amount of available food in the tank. The more they are able to find to eat, the faster they grow and reach maturity, and the faster they lay eggs for the next generation of snails to invade your tank. Unfortunately, chemicals that are harmful to snails are also harmful to shrimp, since most of them contain copper. The best thing you can do is lessen the feedings, and the snail population will eventually start to decrease, but it will not eradicate the infestation.

gibbus

Quote Originally Posted by retardo
    How often do you feed your shrimp? How heavily planted is the tank? Snail infestations usually are directly proportional to the amount of available food in the tank. The more they are able to find to eat, the faster they grow and reach maturity, and the faster they lay eggs for the next generation of snails to invade your tank. Unfortunately, chemicals that are harmful to snails are also harmful to shrimp, since most of them contain copper. The best thing you can do is lessen the feedings, and the snail population will eventually start to decrease, but it will not eradicate the infestation.
    thanks Mr retardo. actually I feed themsparsely, problem is they seem to be feeding off my plants. . I'll try decreasing the feeds. thanks for the advice. I never knew taking care of shrimps could be difficult at times but they're just so nice . So its worth it

Country
    United_States
    Thanks
    Images

Have you noticed the snails feeding on the plants themselves? There are some species that do, so you may have a vegetable garden for them to munch on. Otherwise, they will feed on the decaying plants, so that is in there, time to clean out the detritus...

And yes, shrimp-keeping is a real joy!

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Smile

hey man, if you really have a problem with snails, try removing your shrimps first then add one or two puffer fish, they ll clear your snails in a couple of days, then just remove them later. no chemicals or additives to the water is best i think, the biological ways the best.

gibbus

Quote Originally Posted by retardo
    Have you noticed the snails feeding on the plants themselves? There are some species that do, so you may have a vegetable garden for them to munch on. Otherwise, they will feed on the decaying plants, so that is in there, time to clean out the detritus...

And yes, shrimp-keeping is a real joy!
    Yup, I've seen the snails munching on my plants. Especiall my red lotus
    I've decreased the feeding and am now manually removing the snails and setting up snail traps( raw meat in a bottle).

Quote Originally Posted by kenji
    hey man, if you really have a problem with snails, try removing your shrimps first then add one or two puffer fish, they ll clear your snails in a couple of days, then just remove them later. no chemicals or additives to the water is best i think, the biological ways the best.
    I thought of that but I placed my shrimp in a large planted tank with rocks. Hard to catch them now. Looked around for a puffer but it seems most of our LFS don't have them in stock right now. Actually I havent seen any of our LFS here sell one for years. Wonder why

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

If you can't find puffers try loaches.
    I have had clown loaches and they work very well.

TKD

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Images

Don't forget the fish eat shrimplets.

I crush them against the windows. The shrimps love that!!!

fatboy

The fredshwater glass shrimp eat snails and snail eggs. I don't know if they also eat dwarf shrimp too. They might be safer than fish?

gibbus

I've given up on the hopes of eliminating them all. right now I just crush the snail against the glass. The shrimps seem to eat them as a treat

Thread Information