Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pest snails; how do I get rid of them

Adam

Pretty much all natural predators are going to snack on the baby shrimps, some will even have a go at the adults.

What you are doing now is pretty much what I do at the moment. My Cherry tank is more of a snail tank than a shrimp tank.

Occasionally I drop in a blanched spinach leaf for the shrimp, the snails will collect on the leaf too. After about an hour or so I take the spinach leaf out clean off the snails and pop it back in the tank.

Adam

acesk

gibbus. If you are really into eliminating the snails, I can only recommend you to change the entire tank content. Wash your equipment again. Change all the sponch and staff. Buy new clean plants and change the gravel. If you have drift wood remember to dry it for few days or boil it before putting in again. If dun wana change the gravel, spread it over any open ground and dry it. Water parameter should be fixed in a few days time. Do observe the plant tank of the shop that you bought the plant from. If snail is present, up to you to decide futher...

Snail will never die if there is light in tank. (light promote algae growth especially lite algae that grows on anything and it cannot be seen with naked eyes. Shrimp and snails eat them..)

Wad shrimp you keeping??

fatboy

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    My Cherry tank is more of a snail tank than a shrimp tank.
    Have you tried trapping them? Put some meaty food on a small plate, cover it with a saucer leaving enough room for snails to crawl in and leave it overnight. By the next day you should have lots of the snails in the dark, secluded space snacking away. For me it works better than a piece of veg.

Adam

Thanks for the tip Fatboy, I have heard of the saucer trap before but I have never tried it. Would one of those off the shelf snail traps be any good?

fatboy

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Thanks for the tip Fatboy, I have heard of the saucer trap before but I have never tried it. Would one of those off the shelf snail traps be any good?
    I don't know as I'm too cheap to buy one.

There's a risk that shrimp would also get trapped in some of the commercial ones that have a one-way trapdoor. The saucers (or any dark, enclosed space) are less a trap and more a collection point, a place snails favour and where they'll congregate if food is placed there.

gibbus

Quote Originally Posted by acesk View Post
    gibbus. If you are really into eliminating the snails, I can only recommend you to change the entire tank content. Wash your equipment again. Change all the sponch and staff. Buy new clean plants and change the gravel. If you have drift wood remember to dry it for few days or boil it before putting in again. If dun wana change the gravel, spread it over any open ground and dry it. Water parameter should be fixed in a few days time. Do observe the plant tank of the shop that you bought the plant from. If snail is present, up to you to decide futher...

Snail will never die if there is light in tank. (light promote algae growth especially lite algae that grows on anything and it cannot be seen with naked eyes. Shrimp and snails eat them..)

Wad shrimp you keeping??
    Hi Sorry this is a real late reply, been busy lately. cant turn off the lights my tank is exposed to sunlight. Its a 75 gallon tank too big too dismantle and it'll be near impossible to catch all my cherry shrimps

Thread Information