Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My shrimp problem ... Molt next day dead ....

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Default My shrimp problem ... Molt next day dead ....

Hi everyone .. I need help understanding what to do next ... I appreciate any advice, I am completely new to shrimp keeping,

Water param:

Gh 10-12
    kh 0
    Ph 6
    TDS I don't have a testing kit yet ..i order everything online and I don't speak Chinese(Canadian living in China) ...
    and added air-stone and pump
    hanging water filter 300l/hr

The tank is an established tank running for near 7 months with neon's, guppies, plants and substrate ( not sure what kind it is).
    Before this the planted tank and fish had no problems, no deaths or illness for 7 months.

Please understand I have been reading forums for the last 3-5 days looking up information to answer my own question .... I just would like a more concise answer or a confirmation as I am new to the hobby.

Background:

I was gifted 10 shrimp(some juv and some adult roughly 2 cm long) ... and after introducing them into the tank .. yes done slowly ... all survived, it wasn't until a few days later I noticed a molt and a dead shrimp. I removed the body and left the molt as suggested in other forums to allow the molt to be eaten by the other shrimp to replenish there minerals.
    I started to read more and pay attention to their behavior ...

They all swim around, and don't hide much ...they swim everywhere even among the 8 neon's who are also about 2 cm long.
    They are active, grazing swimming and even running head on into my other fish.

The ISSUE :

The problem is every other day I find another molt and dead shrimp( 3 thus far) ... I am down to about 6 or 7 ... the molts are clear and not attached to the shrimp, the dead bodies have all their appendages and no signs of damage ... but if I leave the dead bodies to long in the tank the other shrimp do eat it and eventually the guppies get into them too.

Is my Gh to high ? .. I have ordered peat moss and its on its way, also ordered cuttlebone in case it's a calcium issue.
    My kh is 0 ... i have done the test numerous times and it never changes into blue .. always stays yellow ( should be: add drops till blue add drops till turns yellow to get KH) The store is sending me another KH tester it will arrive in 3-5 days.
    How can my GH be over 10 and my KH be 0 is this normal ???
    Should I add coral chips to increase kh and help stabilize ph and add minerals to water??
    The Ph according to forums is about right for the Shrimp ... and most people state not to mess with it too much although, moss-cutt and coral will affect it.

Besides finding the molt and the owner of it everything looks ok?? they are all active, eating and swimming around.
    The neon's don't pay any attention to the shrimp and usually back away from them when one comes swimming head on into there group.
    The guppies do get close to them but do not nip, they kinda just recognize that they are there.
    The shrimp tend to graze together on the moss blanket .. usually 3-6 are always grazing there together .. even during the day (2pm as I write this)

Oh about feeding ... I don't feed them much .. I place one pellet of the food my friend gave me every other day .. the pellet usually swells some shrimp get to it and than the guppies eat it. Not all the shrimp go for it .. most stay on the moss or plant they are grazing on....

3 deaths have occurred after molting ... can someone please advise what direction I should go to prevent further losses.

(I will be moving the shrimp into their own tank soon, but until the shipment arrives I want to learn and not lose anymore. I would like to start getting into the hobby more and raise CRS and pandas etc...)

Thanks, looking forward to your advice.....

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

sigh .. no responses ??
    Well I came back from the weekend .. and feed the fish and shrimp , this time nearly all the shrimp came to eat ..only counting six ... I haven't found a corpse or a shell ... so I am not sure If I have lost another or if it is hiding well.
    ... oh nm found the seventh ... so two days went with no molting or deaths ... Lets hope it continues ...advice is welcome....
    Also I have set up my other tanks at home and will need a week or two to cycle and test .. once they are up and I solve the issue of molts and death .. Ill start a breeding tank of crystals..
    In a few days ill test the water again to post the parameters ..
    I went ahead and added coral to the tank on Friday before the weekend .. did this help ?

looking forward to hearing from anyone from the community..

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

I guess the Coral did not help .. another molt and death .. found ... can anyone help out .. I hope to save as many of my shrimp as possible ... down to six ...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Package arrived with cuttle bone .. still no responses .. did a KH test as that also arrived ...
    KH still 0 .. or I assume it is zero ...
    (color never changes to blue..than to yellow... from the first drop to 30+ drops, it stays yellow, this is the new KH test kit I got .. it seems its not defected .. the old test kit did the same and the store sent me another one that arrived today. tested 5 times with similar results to be sure)

I added a chunk of cuttlebone( 4cmx6cm, the width at thickest is around 3.3 cm) to the over head filter ..
    after 30 min KH was still 0...
    Tomorrow Ill bring back the PH-GH-NO2-No3 test kits from home and test the water again ... ... I have meetings all morning so I wont be able to check my office aquarium till the afternoon ...hopefully no more molts will occur and no more deaths ...

still looking to hear from anyone that has a clue what maybe happening ... or could shed some light if I am going in the right direction or not ...

I assume that:
    1. the KH is too low
    a. Causing possible PH swings that could kill the Shrimp.
    b. Shows there is a lack of Calcium or other minerals that are needed for shell development.
    added coral( 3 days ago) and cuttlebone(today)
    2. the Gh is too high
    a. waiting for peat moss to arrive.

besides the molt and death ... the other remaining shrimp are active .. Ill keep posting information as I go through this .. hopefully Ill get lucky and solve it before I reach ZERO shrimp ...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

ok i got off work and could not shake this feeling so I continued to do research and found part of the answer at home ..

Low Kh, ph with high Gh can be caused by just topping up the water without doing a water change. ... guilty ..... I have been doing this for the last 5 months, after 2 months I started just topping up the evaporated water with bottle water ... I didn't realize it was a bad thing to do. Now I understand the reason for the HIGH GH and rock bottom kh and also low ph.

I still dont know what to do to help my shrimp ... but at least now I have a clear direction to take with the water parameters .. if anyone is following this thread .. besides myself ... my tap water parameters are:
    GH 4-5
    KH 15
    PH 7

Compared to my tank
    Gh 10-12
    kh 0
    Ph 6

So first thing tomorrow after meetings .. I am doing a 10-20% water change not a top up ... sigh .. at least I learned something ...
    (I am not sure if I can post the original thread here as it is from another website ... A guest named JUSTME provided the answer quite clearly)

JUSTME had posted 1 year ago :
    High Gh, combined with low Kh and fluctuating or low Ph can happen when one doesn't do regular water changes and just tops up the evaporated water.
    Unlike the Kh, the Gh doesn't normally get used up much and creeps up slowly over time when the water in the tank isn't replaced, but just topped off because
    of evaporation, hence eventually the Gh will be way higher than the tap water, the Kh will be low and the Ph will be low or fluctuating.

Weekly water changes are normally best. Topping off with RO is not an option either, because your Kh isn't replaced with anything and the Ph will fluctuate even more.
    The reason the Kh lowers in aquariums over time is because of all the acidic processes going on, like ammonia to nitrite conversion for one, and then the end product of nitrite
    to nitrate conversion... Doing regular water changes will keep the Kh stable, unless the tank is highly overstocked(more ammonia,more nitrAtes to affect the Kh), or the tap water
    has a Kh below 4 dKh, but that value is recommended mostly for planted tanks with injected CO2. Small regular water changes can slowly equalize the parameters with the tap water,
    but one needs to be persistent and consistent.

And RO water is used only when the source/tap water is very hard, which isn't the case here.

Boiling the water will not change the GH, but will remove the Kh, so that suggestion is even worse.

Once I get my water parameters mainly GH down ... I will see if that solves my molt deaths ...my Kh will increase a bit which is good, as most websites say kh can act as a buffer to prevent large PH swings ... I will also leave the cuttbone and coral to see if I can stabilize the KH and prevent it from dropping back to zero.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Alright ... came back from morning meetings to find another molt and death .. sigh ...

Did water test before water change :
    Gh:13
    KH:0
    Ph:7

Did a water change about 40% (GH 5, ph 7 .. 2 day old tap water)

Water test after:
    GH: 6.5
    KH: 0
    PH: 7

Well .. I will keep checking water param and keep doing 10% changes every other day until I can get my GH down and stable to between 4-6, hopefully the added Coral and Cuttlebone will increase the KH to at least one and with the water changes.
    I have Peat moss arriving soon and will add that to the tank to keep the PH down.. but since my Ph from the tap really isn't that high I am not too concerned here.
    I added tap water over bottle water to add minerals back into the tank...
    Next water change if the test show 0 KH again will use tap, if it increases will use r/o or bottled.

I just hope the Shrimp dont keep dieing before I fix the water problem, hopefully fixing the water will fix the molt deaths ...

from reading on the forums I gathered..

Molt death
    If the shell is not attached to the shrimp it could be a lack of minerals, after molt the shrimp are more sensitive and their shells cannot harden fast enough to prevent injury-bacteria etc.
    If the shell is still attached it maybe due to too much minerals and their shells are too hard to remove .. taking too much energy and even suffocation ..
    or other fish are harassing them after molt, no places to hide .. stress = death.

Oh I also noticed its my juv shrimp that have died ... I have 5 adult shrimp left ...all around 2 cm in length .. lets hope the water change does not spark a mass molt .....

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

10% water change
    before
    gh 7.5
    ph 7.6
    ran out of KH will buy another from another company

Used bottled water with GH 2, PH 6

Will test again tomorrow ..
    Shrimp are less active this morning ..only see one adult swimming about .. no molts or dead can be seen , but I haven't looked through the plants and hiding places .. will wait till tomorrow to do a count.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Hi,

Sorry for no one responding to you.

May I ask the following information from you?
    1. What shrimp are you keeping?
    2. What kind of filtration are you using?
    3. What is the substrate you are using?

It will help if you could post a picture of your tank.

Cheers.
    shrimpydaddy.com

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Hi Hyoushoku,

Thanks for responding ..

1. I dont know what kind of shrimp they are .. as they were given to me .. as soon as I can Ill post a photo.
    2. The Filter is a hanging back filter.
    3. The substrate I also dont know what it is .. the tank was given to my wife originally and she gave it to me for my office.

I will do my best to upload a photo asap .. and also try to get a clear photo of the shrimp ...

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Post a picture of the filter too.

By the way, if you don't mind me asking. Which part of China are you living now? I'm an expat too. I moved to Hong Kong 5 to 6 years ago. I totally can feel the challenge that you are facing.
    shrimpydaddy.com

Thread Information