Thread: Awesome tribe...

Country
    Germany
    Thanks

Default Awesome tribe...

I thought I post this as it might be important for those looking to start the "shrimp" hobby and look at all those new (and established) shop pages around.

I wouldn't call myself a beginner. I have several tanks (my wife would say too many) and keep Blue Dreams, Bloody Marrys, KK, RW, RR, Pandas, BB, RB, etc. Since a couple of years. From time to time I sell some, whenever some tanks are getting too packed. Some of the tribes I got from stores (My super aggressive Blue Tigers), most from breeders around.

Some weeks ago I was looking to get into Pintos and luckily got into contact with a German lady breeding those babies. She was selling me a starter pack of 40 at a real great price.
    I had only a very small tanks ready at that time (20L Cube). So they were pretty packed from the beginning.

In general, I am not a big feeder, some P&B, some leaves, very rarely anything else.
    ...And there I started to realize something. Any kind of leave was simply GONE the next day. Actually anything I put in that was food- like was gone the next day. I tried a large piece of cucumber my Cherax would not eat in a day. ...Gone.
    so....within 4 weeks, I had 39 (one died, no clue why) fully matured pintos/Mosura in the tank of which at least 12 are currently carrying eggs.

I have tanks and shrimps since many years, but I have never seen something like this.

Why I post this is because I want to advise newcomers not to go for the first cheap super sale somewhere. Check out local breeders, they are happy to show you their favorite tribes and talk about the hobby. Check out recommendations in forums and talk to those breeders whose stock is immediately sold out.

Again, thanks B. from W... I am very grateful.

Cheers
    r1

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rastaone For This Useful Post:

schejk (16th Feb 2015)

Country
    Slovenia
    Thanks

great post. thank you. cause i am at the moment looking for shops in germany to buy me some CRS or tiger shrimp bunch and dont know who would be my best option.
    i do have a problem of postage because i am from Slovenia, and the cost of it is as high as the shrimp would be. And in the end you dont know what you will get.
    but here in Slovenia we do not have any breeders worth looking at.

if you have any good pointers would be a big help!

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

+1

Always go for local breeder first, and avoid importing from people who post on FB. Especially, those who post a couple of marketing pictures. ^^
    shrimpydaddy.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hyoushoku For This Useful Post:

schejk (20th Feb 2015)

Country
    Slovenia
    Thanks

thank you hyoushoku for your advice. hopefully i will find someone localy. but in our country there are only red cherrys and crs k2-k4 that can be bought local hehe.

Regular
    Country
    Greece
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rastaone View Post
    Some weeks ago I was looking to get into Pintos and luckily got into contact with a German lady breeding those babies. She was selling me a starter pack of 40 at a real great price.
    Yeap.. Buying locally should be the first option. But for many countries - as stated above - it is not an option..
    I always buy my shrimps from German breeders. It takes 2 days to get them and there are unfortunately losses from time to time.
    Since I cannot pm you..just a question.. Is this lady's first name Ruth??
    Cheers

Thread Information