Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My shrimp problem ... Molt next day dead ....

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hyoushoku View Post
    Trace nutrients disappear quickly in water; they precipitate out. Hence, it has to be dosed daily.
    Can you suggest something I can get on taobao?

Country
    Hungary
    Thanks

"My 2 cents": I think deaths around molting is closely related to the changes in waterparameters. This means that sadly it is very common that some shrimp die after they are introduced into a new tank. To increase the chance of success, you can try to match the parameters of the new tank and the water they come from, by using for example ro water + the same "shrimp salt", or you can buy more shrimp (20-50) to start with, and the ones that survive the critical acclimating period will breed and populate the tank. In this second case, the new generation born in the new environment is "made for" those parameters. And these crucial parameters are not just GH, KH, TDS, but the amount and ratio of the different dissolved substances.

hyoushoku:
    You say:
    "Trace nutrients disappear quickly in water; they precipitate out. Hence, it has to be dosed daily. "
    This sounds a bit unnatural to me. Shrimps must have some kind of "system" to store these trace nutrients. Don't they?
    Also shrimp can obtain these elements from their diet, right?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Garneland For This Useful Post:

Leon1975 (29th Jan 2015)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Thank you Garneland for your input.

I agree with your advice, I was just hoping to save the wild shrimp as they were given to me .. before I knew anything about shrimp ... In a mad dash to educate myself to prevent losing them all I read as much as I could and posted here to get help.

I still have 3(edit 4 yahoo) adult left .. and hope they will survive .. feel guilty that my poor knowledge base is the direct cause of a death .....

I have set up my tanks at home and will basically be doing what you said. (I wont order until I can understand the whole water thing .. I really never want to experience so many deaths again )
    I have asked the company who is sending me the crystal red and black to provide me with their water parameters.
    At home I do have a r/o water system built into my apartment, so as you said I can adjust the GH-KH-PH to what the shrimp have been living in prior to arriving to my home.
    Other minerals I'll be honest I haven't a faintest clue. So if It is suggested to get these fertilizers .. I will ....

I ordered 10 of each juv and hope I can acclimate them properly so they survive and start a colony, the company will not send them until I asked for them.. prepaid if you will.
    I also set up two smaller tanks for breeding purposes when I find a berried female.

Being an expat in China, and being in a 2nd tier City.. it is kinda hard finding things ... Shrimp salt ..for example ...not being able to read or speak Chinese is a huge challenge...

For now .. than is the simple answer .. the wild shrimp either acclimate to my water or die ???
    I will stop messing with the water para .. lt may be doing more harm than good.

I appreciate your comments .. and do hope other can pipe in ...

Cheers,

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Shrimp is a simple creature, it has limited stored supply of nutrients; they are not like fish. Water body in the nature has constant supply of nutrients. Hence, they are able to extract them easily.
    shrimpydaddy.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hyoushoku For This Useful Post:

Leon1975 (29th Jan 2015)

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Forgot to mention this. The shell hardening stage during moult, requires absorbing nutrients, especially minerals, to react with chemical releases from the body to form hard shell. This process is the same for shrimp, prawn, crab and lobster.
    shrimpydaddy.com

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Forgot to mention this. The shell hardening stage during moult, requires absorbing nutrients, especially minerals, to react with chemical releases from the body to form hard shell. This process is the same for shrimp, prawn, crab and lobster.
    I wanted to also say thanks to you Hyoushoku, I will do more research on what ferts I can use for the shrimp tanks ... can you recommend any that you are using currently ?

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Look for Seachem Flourish Trace.
    shrimpydaddy.com

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hyoushoku For This Useful Post:

Leon1975 (29th Jan 2015)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Thanks just placed and order ..

If anyone is following the progress of this thread ..

Summary thus far :
    1. 7 month old tank, added 10 shrimp juv and adult.
    2. after 3 days molt and dead found..
    3. every other day another molt and dead found.
    4. checked water param and done water changes to bring down GH-increase KH
    5 Over the span of the post a total of 5 confirmed died...
    6. Could be related to minerals in water (initially thought)
    7. Shrimp Identified as wild .. unknown water param .. decided to stop messing with water param that could further stress and cause deaths.
    8. Purchased .. water test kits, peat moss, cuttlebone, coral, Cattappa leaves ....and Seachem flourish.

Learnt:
    -importance of water param..
    -understand the water param of the place you buy or get your new pets, match it as best as possible with your tank before they arrive and keep in mind the species natural param as a guideline..
    -messing around with water param once your new pets have arrived can cause more stress, if needed lower param slowly.( this forum has an info table that shows this clearly.)http://www.shrimpnow.com/content.php...-GH-KH-NO3-CO2
    -first 1-2 weeks deaths can be related to poor acclamation to new environment, not much can be done at this point .. hope for the best
    -molt deaths can be due to lack of essential minerals not in your water, seachem flourish was suggested as a regular dose.
    -avoid mixing too many fish with shrimp, have enough hiding places, shrimp like moss,
    - ask people that know more and have more experience ..

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Did you order the Trace version, instead of the Comprehensive version?

One thing to clarify. They die on the same day as they moult or 3 days after moult?
    shrimpydaddy.com

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Did you order the Trace version, instead of the Comprehensive version?

One thing to clarify. They die on the same day as they moult or 3 days after moult?
    Hi Hyoushoku,

I ordered the Seachem Flourish Trace 500ml for Plants, it was the only one I could find ... hopefully not a fake ..

As for the Molt issues I believe it must be the same day ... as I always find a molt and a whole body ... if the body stays in the water too long the other fish and shrimp do eat it.
    I still have I think 4 left... this morning .. they all seem to be hiding .. they usually start becoming active in the afternoon, but I haven't found a molt or a body ...crosses fingers.

At lunch I'll do another check ...

Thread Information