Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Unsure about the gender of my CR shrimp

  1. #1
    Member Zolanski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Country
    Australia
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Question Unsure about the gender of my CR shrimp

    Hey guys,

    So a couple days back I bought two CRS in hopes of starting a colony of shrimp. I added them into my tank of 5 Red cherries. All has been well, apart from the fact that I do not know the gender of both my CRS. One of them is significantly bigger than the other, but I still have no idea. Occasionally, I will see the little one chase the bigger one around the tank, but I don't know if that means anything. It would be helpful if someone could tell me the gender of both of my shrimp, or give me some tips to observe myself. I have a photo of both of them, but it's not the best quality.

    Help would be greatly appreciated!

    (Sorry for uploading the same photo twice)
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Regular ShrimpmasterNL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Country
    Netherlands
    Posts
    185
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts

    Default

    Hard to say, we can only guess. Why just bought 2 of them?

    "Occasionally, I will see the little one chase the bigger one around the tank, but I don't know if that means anything."

    Could mean they want to mate. Happens after molting? But then you should see some eggs soon.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to ShrimpmasterNL For This Useful Post:

    Zolanski (7th Jan 2015)

  4. #3
    Member Zolanski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Country
    Australia
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShrimpmasterNL View Post
    Hard to say, we can only guess. Why just bought 2 of them?

    "Occasionally, I will see the little one chase the bigger one around the tank, but I don't know if that means anything."

    Could mean they want to mate. Happens after molting? But then you should see some eggs soon.
    Multiple factors actually. With my 5 cherries, two are male and three are female. I'd like them to start breeding more sometime soon. Also i'm on a small budget, and figured it would be best to build a colony ground up rather than buy more.

    To be honest I haven't seen any of my CRS molt since I put them in the tank. Is there any way to encourage molting? How do the eggs appear in RCS? I know that with my RC the eggs were yellow-ish green, but with CRS wouldn't it be harder to spot the eggs due to the colour of their bodies?

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    Indonesia
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zolanski View Post
    Multiple factors actually. With my 5 cherries, two are male and three are female. I'd like them to start breeding more sometime soon. Also i'm on a small budget, and figured it would be best to build a colony ground up rather than buy more.

    To be honest I haven't seen any of my CRS molt since I put them in the tank. Is there any way to encourage molting? How do the eggs appear in RCS? I know that with my RC the eggs were yellow-ish green, but with CRS wouldn't it be harder to spot the eggs due to the colour of their bodies?
    You can hope the shrimp on left = male and on right = female, but that's just amateur analyze from Me .

    then if You see the bigger shrimp molt and the other one start to swimming around like crazy, that means they are a couple, cause it's exactly same when they are in healthy condition, the male always swimming around looking the female after the female molt.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to cleeon For This Useful Post:

    Zolanski (7th Jan 2015)

  7. #5
    Member Zolanski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Country
    Australia
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cleeon View Post
    You can hope the shrimp on left = male and on right = female, but that's just amateur analyze from Me .

    then if You see the bigger shrimp molt and the other one start to swimming around like crazy, that means they are a couple, cause it's exactly same when they are in healthy condition, the male always swimming around looking the female after the female molt.
    Do you have any tips to encourage molting with shrimp? When I introduced my RCS into the tank, 3/5 of them hid and the next day I found their molts on the floor. But since i've added the CRS, they haven't molted nor shown signs of molting about to begin.

    Also it's quite clear in the picture, but there are two circular, brown blobs sort of where the front legs are, could this be the unfertilised eggs? My RCS are different, and have their eggs on the top of their backs.

  8. #6
    Regular ShrimpmasterNL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Country
    Netherlands
    Posts
    185
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts

    Default

    You could encourage it with a cold water change, but you should not do this. A female shrimp will molt when her eggs inside her are ready. When you force them to molt with temperature, they are panic molting. Not good and not effective. On the contrary, they (could) die if you make them molt before they are ready.
    Good environment, good temperature, good food, that's what they need. Then the will develop eggs en when ready they will molt en the female will cary eggs. Good luck!

  9. #7
    Member Zolanski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Country
    Australia
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShrimpmasterNL View Post
    You could encourage it with a cold water change, but you should not do this. A female shrimp will molt when her eggs inside her are ready. When you force them to molt with temperature, they are panic molting. Not good and not effective. On the contrary, they (could) die if you make them molt before they are ready.
    Good environment, good temperature, good food, that's what they need. Then the will develop eggs en when ready they will molt en the female will cary eggs. Good luck!
    I'm actually going to post a reply beneath this with an updated picture of the pair, not sure whether it's still clear enough to judge the gender. Used my olympia camera though.

    Thanks for the information! I guess i'll just have to wait for the eggs to be ready then.

  10. #8
    Member Zolanski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Country
    Australia
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Updated Picture of the pair:

    http://i.imgur.com/ioghYSG.jpg

  11. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    Indonesia
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    what ShrimpMaster said above is right and highly recommended, do not try anything to force the shrimp for molting faster, the risk for that is bigger.

    if they are not too old, We just need as long as 1 month/30 days, for their molt routine period.

    the other general rule is, the female of neocaridina or caridina shrimp have brighter coloration than the male (if the grade is same)

  12. #10
    Member Zolanski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Country
    Australia
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cleeon View Post
    what ShrimpMaster said above is right and highly recommended, do not try anything to force the shrimp for molting faster, the risk for that is bigger.

    if they are not too old, We just need as long as 1 month/30 days, for their molt routine period.

    the other general rule is, the female of neocaridina or caridina shrimp have brighter coloration than the male (if the grade is same)
    This picture i've got shows the outlines of their bodies. Too me they look different, but a second judge is always good.
    http://i.imgur.com/IrMcil3.jpg

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. wich gender ?
    By bamihap in forum Crystal Red Shrimp
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 9th Nov 2014, 07:31 AM
  2. my shrimp gender?
    By AnthonyS in forum Neocaridina Shrimp
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10th Mar 2014, 01:42 AM
  3. CPO gender
    By crsfrenzy in forum Freshwater Crabs and Crayfish
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 5th Mar 2011, 08:47 PM
  4. Please help ID Grade and Gender
    By brightsparky in forum Crystal Red Shrimp
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30th Jul 2008, 12:36 AM
  5. Shrimp Gender
    By FelixSu in forum General Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20th May 2008, 02:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •