Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unsure about the gender of my CR shrimp

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks

I;m checking Your photos with reading this one : http://www.shrimpnow.com/content.php...imp-and-Sexing

sorry, still difficult for Me, if they are not female (both), the one at front is female and the other look male (based on their carapace), shrimp at front have rounder and I begin to believe that shrimp must be female, about the other please check, is it have longer antenules ? if yes, then You can be happy

Country
    Australia
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cleeon View Post
    I;m checking Your photos with reading this one : http://www.shrimpnow.com/content.php...imp-and-Sexing

sorry, still difficult for Me, if they are not female (both), the one at front is female and the other look male (based on their carapace), shrimp at front have rounder and I begin to believe that shrimp must be female, about the other please check, is it have longer antenules ? if yes, then You can be happy
    I've seen one of the shrimp have longer antennas + antenules than the other. Could this be a sign that one's a female the other's a male?

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zolanski View Post
    I've seen one of the shrimp have longer antennas + antenules than the other. Could this be a sign that one's a female the other's a male?
    yes, that the sign, I suggest now You just need to wait when one of them swimming around (the male) then the other will have eggs (the female), when the female molting and release pheromone (sign that she ready to mate), the male as We know will actively swimming around, find the female, then mating process begin.

how about Your aquarium water parameter ?

I hope it already or will gradually changed to suits their needs

Country
    Australia
    Thanks

yes, that the sign, I suggest now You just need to wait when one of them swimming around (the male) then the other will have eggs (the female), when the female molting and release pheromone (sign that she ready to mate), the male as We know will actively swimming around, find the female, then mating process begin.

how about Your aquarium water parameter ?

I hope it already or will gradually changed to suits their needs
    Well actually yesterday I just established that I have indeed two male shrimp, rather then one of each. I put a bright light underneath the tank and looked from above. Both shrimp didn't have a saddle, so they're both male. I'm actually going tomorrow to buy one more female and hope that they start a family.

My water parameters are pretty good. My ph stays steadfast at 7.0 and a bit below, i've taken care of all ammonia and nitrates etc. So hopefully when I do get my female shrimp, the water should be fine for them to breed. Whilst i'm at it, should I also get a breeding box for them or should I just leave them to do their thing?

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks

Well actually yesterday I just established that I have indeed two male shrimp, rather then one of each. I put a bright light underneath the tank and looked from above. Both shrimp didn't have a saddle, so they're both male. I'm actually going tomorrow to buy one more female and hope that they start a family.

My water parameters are pretty good. My ph stays steadfast at 7.0 and a bit below, i've taken care of all ammonia and nitrates etc. So hopefully when I do get my female shrimp, the water should be fine for them to breed. Whilst i'm at it, should I also get a breeding box for them or should I just leave them to do their thing?
    ooh sorry to know that, but maybe that a good news, cause now You know exactly the fact and moving to next step (purchase a female)

do not worry, based on My experience, caridina shrimp do not like guppy fish or macrobachium sp. shrimp, they do not hunt their offspring , they are peace species, but they will not hesitate to eat dead shrimp (even if that shrimp is their family). So, no need of breeding box.

I hope when Your shrimp going to breeding stage, the female will have around 30 eggs or more and all become adult shrimp to continue grow up the colony.

Good luck.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks

ooh sorry to know that, but maybe that a good news, cause now You know exactly the fact and moving to next step (purchase a female)

do not worry, based on My experience, caridina shrimp do not like guppy fish or macrobachium sp. shrimp, they do not hunt their offspring , they are peace species, but they will not hesitate to eat dead shrimp (even if that shrimp is their family). So, no need of breeding box.

I hope when Your shrimp going to breeding stage, the female will have around 30 eggs or more and all become adult shrimp to continue grow up the colony.

Good luck.
    That's true. I'm just hoping that tomorrow i'll know the differences between male and female, and hopefully get a female this time.

Alright good, thanks for the heads up!

I'll hope so soon! It'll be exciting to see a colony of shrimp grow ground up. Thank you for your help once again!

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks

That's true. I'm just hoping that tomorrow i'll know the differences between male and female, and hopefully get a female this time.

Alright good, thanks for the heads up!

I'll hope so soon! It'll be exciting to see a colony of shrimp grow ground up. Thank you for your help once again!
    suggestion : ask directly to the Seller that if He/She can, You want the female

Country
    Australia
    Thanks

suggestion : ask directly to the Seller that if He/She can, You want the female
    Good idea, i'll probably just end up doing that. Would it be smarter to go for a berried female or not?

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks

Good idea, i'll probably just end up doing that. Would it be smarter to go for a berried female or not?
    yes smarter, but can be not smart

the case which it can be smarter = You bring the berried female, make sure the male do not disturb it, if they show the sign disturb it, separate them. Your water parameter is good enough for the mom shrimp and she will give You more shrimps

the case which it can be not smart = You bring it from local fish shop or shrimp shop , then she stressed on the road (berried have riskier health when shipped or packed) also she weaker than other when moved to new environment, but lots peoples includes Me ever try it and I'm lucky enough to have more than 20 shrimplet when it happened, but the risk is higher.

If You have money which can afford to buy 2 or more shrimp, buy the berried one first, then wait for around 20 days, if success the You happy, if failed, You can buy the new female which not berried one.

I know maybe other Member would be angry with My suggestion above, but All must accept that My suggestion is more effective

Country
    Australia
    Thanks

yes smarter, but can be not smart

the case which it can be smarter = You bring the berried female, make sure the male do not disturb it, if they show the sign disturb it, separate them. Your water parameter is good enough for the mom shrimp and she will give You more shrimps

the case which it can be not smart = You bring it from local fish shop or shrimp shop , then she stressed on the road (berried have riskier health when shipped or packed) also she weaker than other when moved to new environment, but lots peoples includes Me ever try it and I'm lucky enough to have more than 20 shrimplet when it happened, but the risk is higher.

If You have money which can afford to buy 2 or more shrimp, buy the berried one first, then wait for around 20 days, if success the You happy, if failed, You can buy the new female which not berried one.

I know maybe other Member would be angry with My suggestion above, but All must accept that My suggestion is more effective
    Well the good news is that I went out a bout an hour ago and actually bought the shrimp. A CRS and RCS. I can 100% say that the red cherry is a male, since he doesn't have a saddle, he has less colour and is much smaller. Also with the CRS, she's much bigger and has a fatter belly. It was hard trying to find a female in the store tank, since majority of the CRS were male actually.

The only bad news is that she isn't berried, but I guess we'll just have to give it time then.

Thread Information