Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinto Question

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Default Pinto Question

I recently acquired this pinto. It's the only one I have. I'm planning on keeping him with my tb's. I have about one hundred tb's in this tank. I'm not sure if I should let the pinto run wild in the tank or try to breed him with one of the tb's selectively. If so which tb would you breed with this pinto? Thanks!

whitepinto_zps7a3e834b.jpg

Country
    Russian Federation
    Thanks

I would suggest to crossbreed it with one of the Extreme Black King-Kong or Ruby Red in order to get more or less predictable pattern. But if you keep all the patterns and colors together in one tank it will help a little, becuse in this case you will get lots of other shrimp's grades even croossbreeding both selected ones with each other. Hope it helps a bit.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Button For This Useful Post:

mayphly (8th Dec 2014)

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Please excuse my inexperience at selective breeding. If I get f1 from TB x Pinto and cross f1 back with pinto, does this increase my chance of more pintos? Thanks

Country
    Russian Federation
    Thanks

Well, by and large yes, but may I ask isn't it easier to get one more Pinto rather than a long way down the road of picking up from Fx?

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Hi Mayphly,

Did you just buy one or a few? The picture looks like a young male shrimp. If it is just one male, you may not be able to breed out a colony of Pinto. This is because the male will usually look like the father and the female will look like the mother. If the sex gene cross over, you will get something neither here or there.

When you cross it with TB or Tiger, the F1 may most probably look quite weird; depending which gene was stable in that shrimp. In addition, gene tends to skip generation. If you get a weird looking F1, you may get a F2 looks similar to your F0.

The best shrimp to cross with will be Hinomaru/Mosura Panda and Flowerhead BB aka Flowerhead Mosura Shadow Panda. Hinomaru/Mosura Panda will give you better white coverage and Flowerhead BB will give you the signature spotted head that is missing from your pinto.

Lastly, is about the body shape. All quality Pinto from Germany have very good body shape, proportion and size. When they are cross-breed out from other shrimps (the Taiwanese always do this), they are very likely to lose this shape, size and proportion. As such, it will be easily able to spot out the gene dilution, at least for me.
    shrimpydaddy.com

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hyoushoku For This Useful Post:

Button (8th Dec 2014), mayphly (8th Dec 2014)

Country
    Russian Federation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hyoushoku View Post
    The picture looks like a young male shrimp.
    Disargee with this part, the shrimp most likely is female, despite it's not the sharp picture. The remaining part of your post shows up a really nice observer.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Hey Wilson,
    Thanks for chiming in. I got this shrimp coming from Blue Crown. He's having a sale in a few weeks. I will be purchasing more from him then. I rather wait and go forward improving the shrimp genes than going backwards. Thank you guys for your input. If shrimping has taught me anything it's patience. Lol!

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mayphly View Post
    Hey Wilson,
    Thanks for chiming in. I got this shrimp coming from Blue Crown. He's having a sale in a few weeks. I will be purchasing more from him then. I rather wait and go forward improving the shrimp genes than going backwards. Thank you guys for your input. If shrimping has taught me anything it's patience. Lol!
    You are welcome. When you are buying more from him next time, get those that have more spots on the head.
    shrimpydaddy.com

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

If I had to put my money on it, I would go for male.

Pinto are nice, but 95% has a not so nice pattern if you ask me. That's something to focus on and best done by acquiring at least one more nice pinto.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Ok! I got 4 coming and will house them all together. Hopefully there's at least one male and one female. I guessing the shrimp in the pic is a male due to the slender body profile. Either way I'm excited!

Thread Information