Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire shrimps dying daily (diease ?)

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Default Fire shrimps dying daily (diease ?)

Hi guys would like to seek some expertise. My fire red shrimps has been dying almost daily and their head's seems to be having some sort of black "patterns/patches" ? Is it some kind of disease ?

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

The black pattern does not look like anything that is bad.

Are you able to tell us more on your setup and water parameters?
    shrimpydaddy.com

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

if the shrimplets are ok, then its probably old age.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hyoushoku View Post
    The black pattern does not look like anything that is bad.

Are you able to tell us more on your setup and water parameters?
    setup using canister, sponge and seachem matrix. substrate lava sand gravels. water parameters all is good 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, abt 10-15ppm nitrates. the adults are dying daily a few here and there but the young fries are unaffected. i seem them grow up and all is very active and well.

heres what i did initially. when i thought there might be something wrong with the water, i tried to shift them into my other fire tank (there is a empty partition column). But they still die on a daily basis whereas the young fries of these dying adult fire in the original tank all are well and growing good and fast. so i started to suspect could it be some sort of disease since i noticed some black patterns on around their head and body and quite a number of them the coloration of their shells going off. it does not look as solid but fragmented as though becoming that of sakura shrimps and there are some forms of pattern on some their cheek as though like some sort of cuts ? im not sure how to explain that as well, but it looks like some slashes or injuries kind of ?

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonpoh View Post
    if the shrimplets are ok, then its probably old age.
    doubt so, if its old age couldnt be dying on a daily basis at quite an alarming rate 2-4pieces a day

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimp Boy View Post
    setup using canister, sponge and seachem matrix. substrate lava sand gravels. water parameters all is good 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, abt 10-15ppm nitrates. the adults are dying daily a few here and there but the young fries are unaffected. i seem them grow up and all is very active and well.

heres what i did initially. when i thought there might be something wrong with the water, i tried to shift them into my other fire tank (there is a empty partition column). But they still die on a daily basis whereas the young fries of these dying adult fire in the original tank all are well and growing good and fast. so i started to suspect could it be some sort of disease since i noticed some black patterns on around their head and body and quite a number of them the coloration of their shells going off. it does not look as solid but fragmented as though becoming that of sakura shrimps and there are some forms of pattern on some their cheek as though like some sort of cuts ? im not sure how to explain that as well, but it looks like some slashes or injuries kind of ?
    What is the pH? What kind of water are you using?

If you are using lava sand, your NO3 is way too high. NO3 is not the killer but what causes high NO3 is the killer. How many shrimps you have and how often are you feeding them and by how much? Also, how big is your tank?

"im not sure how to explain that as well, but it looks like some slashes or injuries kind of ?" <--- I know what you mean. This is usually caused by unable to moult or they injured after moult.

By the way, how long have you been in this hobby?
    shrimpydaddy.com

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

What is the pH? What kind of water are you using?

If you are using lava sand, your NO3 is way too high. NO3 is not the killer but what causes high NO3 is the killer. How many shrimps you have and how often are you feeding them and by how much? Also, how big is your tank?

"im not sure how to explain that as well, but it looks like some slashes or injuries kind of ?" <--- I know what you mean. This is usually caused by unable to moult or they injured after moult.

By the way, how long have you been in this hobby?
    its kind of wierd too the other tank with the same substrate all seems alright. ph 7.0. tap water, would prepare water dechlorinate it and let it age in another tank as my water reservoir with 24/7 air pump running in it. the water would be use only after 1 day or more later. originally about 100+pieces i feed them daily usually all gone within 6hours. tank is a custom 80x30x30cm. about a year i started

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

sorry not lava sand, its volcanic sand

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Lava sand usually will buffer to pH 7, plus minus 0.2.

What is the pH of your problematic tank?

"originally about 100+pieces i feed them daily " <--- 100+ pieces???!!! What are you feeding and how many shrimps you have? I only feed 2 pieces of shrimp wafers per day for a 500 to 1,000 shrimp tank.
    shrimpydaddy.com

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Lava sand usually will buffer to pH 7, plus minus 0.2.

What is the pH of your problematic tank?

"originally about 100+pieces i feed them daily " <--- 100+ pieces???!!! What are you feeding and how many shrimps you have? I only feed 2 pieces of shrimp wafers per day for a 500 to 1,000 shrimp tank.
    ph 7.0. tap water, would prepare water dechlorinate it and let it age in another tank as my water reservoir with 24/7 air pump running in it. the water would be use only after 1 day or more later.

Thread Information