Thread: protein in yellow shrimp diet

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Default protein in yellow shrimp diet

I've always fed my yellow shrimp green beans (their favorite), squash, cucumber and spirulina powder (for the babies). I was thinking of getting a Shrimp King product to vary their diet. They've always bred like bunnies but I wonder about getting no protein as I'm sure they must get some in the wild & I question that we've bred that out of them. So my question is about their need for protein...I'd be feeding this once weekly. Has anyone had any experience with this product...will this protein be good for them?

Composition: kelp, shrimp wholemeal, Gammarus, pumpkin, wheat protein, Daphnia, decapsulated Artemia cysts, birch leaves, green-lipped mussel, yeast, birch bark, rosemary

Analytical constituents: 42.2% crude protein, 5.2% crude fat, 5.9% raw fibre,19.8% crude ash, 8.1% moisture, 3.69% calcium, 1.37% sodium, 0.72% phosphorus, 0.38% magnesium

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

"Composition: kelp, shrimp wholemeal, Gammarus, pumpkin, wheat protein, Daphnia, decapsulated Artemia cysts, birch leaves, green-lipped mussel, yeast, birch bark, rosemary" <--- This sounds like will pollute your water badly.

Shrimp absorb protein from algae, bacteria, phytoplankton and zooplankton in the nature and even in the tank. Thus, generally they don't need much protein supplement. However, I do boost their protein intake once a week with something more healthy and not water polluting. For this, I used is homemade wafer that is consist of grain powder. If you really wanted to boost their protein intake, just throw in a piece of oat/wheat cereal that contains no additional substances like salt, sugar and preservatives.
    shrimpydaddy.com

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Thanks hyoushoku...very interesting...I had no idea that they got protein from their green stuff. I haven't had shrimp for about 3 years and as you know I've just cycled a tank to get some again. I never thought about protein in their diet ...I was lucky that they stayed healthy and I had the joy of watching the berried females and then the babies. I'm so excited to start a shrimp tank again & I just wanted them as healthy as possible...now I know I can toss in a couple pieces of oat cereal & give them a protein boost. Thanks.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

As a regulation, product contents are listed with the highest composition percentage first. Shrimp meals aka by-product from processing shrimps is the second in the list. As such, there are lots of protein.

Shrimp wafers are good to supplement their diet once or twice a week but you need to get those that has the least meat or seafood by products and does not melt in water.

When the population is small and if your shrimps are doing fine without shrimp wafer, you can exclude from their diet temporarily.
    shrimpydaddy.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hyoushoku For This Useful Post:

LittleMulligan (12th Sep 2014)

Thread Information