Thread: Tank is now supporting the shrimp

Country
    Thailand
    Thanks

Default Tank is now supporting the shrimp

Recently moved into shrimp in my tank 3 months ago, tank is approx 7 months mature. The first introduction saw about a 90% destruction and I began to raise the TDS. This helped.

I have a 100 litre tank with a 50 litre sump. The tank is heavily planted, high tech with 80 watts of LED's. I'm EI'ng the nutrients both macros and micros. magnesium is included with the Macros, not adding any calcium at this stage.
    Water source is RO.
    KH 2
    GH 4
    Nitrates 20 -25
    PO4: 1.6 - 2.0

Temp: 24 -30C. Surface Fan cooled

The plants are healthy and growing well. The cherry shrimp are healthy surviving moulting and producing shrimplets and the neon's are leaving the shrimplets alone (I think).

I would like to introduce some caradina and would like to know what I should do in preparation?

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Hi Gop,

Here are my suggestion:
    1. Modify the E.I. dosing a bit so that you are performing 5 to 10% water change weekly and 20% water change monthly or bi-monthly.
    2. Increase your GH to 5 to 6 dGH.
    3. Maintain your water temperature between 24 to 26 but fix it to be constant and not fluctuating more than 1 degree within day.
    4. Reduce your NO3 to 15ppm. 15ppm is already sufficient for most plants. With 20-25ppm NO3, I guess you should be constantly getting GSA on the bottom leaves of low growing plants.

How much CO2 are you pumping? Also, do you turn on air-pump at night or CO2 running 24x7?
    shrimpydaddy.com

Country
    Thailand
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hyoushoku View Post
    Hi Gop,

Here are my suggestion:
    1. Modify the E.I. dosing a bit so that you are performing 5 to 10% water change weekly and 20% water change monthly or bi-monthly.
    2. Increase your GH to 5 to 6 dGH.
    3. Maintain your water temperature between 24 to 26 but fix it to be constant and not fluctuating more than 1 degree within day.
    4. Reduce your NO3 to 15ppm. 15ppm is already sufficient for most plants. With 20-25ppm NO3, I guess you should be constantly getting GSA on the bottom leaves of low growing plants.

How much CO2 are you pumping? Also, do you turn on air-pump at night or CO2 running 24x7?
    Thank you for the direction

Not seeing GSA with the NO3. I can observe spyro if the PO4 drops too far.
    20% water change every 3 days and >50% change weekly.
    Temp may be an issue as ambient is greater than 30 most days and surface fan can pull temp own about 2 degrees when ambient over the 30. (? chiller )
    Running in a lot of CO2 12 hours a day since the sump removes dissolved CO2 as it spills over the weirs with a high flow rate through the sump. At night I run the CO2 for 30 minutes every three hours. I have 1 guppie in the tank as a monitor of CO2, like a canary in a coal mine . Currently not using an air pump once again thinking that gas exchange is high through the sump.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

I'm using sump too but I still use air pump.
    shrimpydaddy.com

Thread Information