Thread: Confused as to the identity of my shrimp

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks

Default Confused as to the identity of my shrimp

Hello all, I've been asking on a few Facebook groups as well as to the identity of some shrimp I have. This is one of the males ( I have 1 x female who is much darker and heavier marked, and 2 x males). They are at the moment in a general community tank with some fish (who don't bother them) and 6 x Cherry shrimp females.
    I would eventually like to start breeding some of the shrimp in a separate tank but need to know where I stand with these first. I'm not convinced they are the wild form of the cherries as the body is more angular (even on the female) and they have very distinctive dark stripes but I could well be wrong!

Thank you for any help you can give me

IMG_0340_2.jpg

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Hi RedLotus,

You are right, this is not a wild form of RCS or neocaridina. I'm not an expert on identifying wild shrimps. However, the shrimp in your picture has the exact body shape and proportion as my Sulawesi shrimps.

The big eyes (same as my Sulawesi shrimps) tell that it is originated from place with a lot of predators and usually has very clear water. Maybe you should find out it's origin towards this path.
    shrimpydaddy.com

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks

Hi hyoushoku, thank you for your reply. I had a look at pictures of Sulawesi shrimp and yes they do have a very similar shape and that longer slender 'nose'.

I'm very new to shrimp keeping, in fact I only got my first shrimp about 6 months ago so differentiating between the various species and 'types' is still a huge headache for me. When I purchased these 3 they were mixed in amongst some more tangerine coloured ones and labelled Fire Sakura Shrimp (Neocaridina something or other) but the more I've learned and the more I've observed the assorted shrimp I now have the more I've come to realise they aren't what they seemed at first.

If they are Sulawesi or related to then should I remove them from the tank they are in or leave them be? I did have them in a small separate tank but it got damaged and they had to be placed into the community tank along with the Cherries while I repaired the little tank they were in. To be honest they seem much happier now, they've grown and their colours are bolder that's why I left them rather than move them back.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

HI RedLotus,

You can just leave them in the same tank. They are different breeds and in theory, they should not cross-breed.

What is the parameter of your water? Is it slightly alkaline?
    shrimpydaddy.com

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks

I had a look at some information regarding Sulawesi shrimp and although yes the body shape is the closest I've seen so far the fact I've been keeping them in an unheated tank for several months prior to being moved into the heated tank with the fish (which sits at about 74f) throws that into doubt as I believe Sulawesi require very high temps.

As for my water, at the moment I use dechlorinated tap water that I leave sitting for 2-3 days before using and our tap water comes from reservoirs surrounded by heather, pine and peat so the water tends to be more on the soft/acid side maybe leaning toward neutral more now due to improved water treatment methods.

Thanks again hyoushoku, I appreciate the assistance and am sure we'll figure it out eventually!

Country
    France
    Thanks

Looks like Caridina Simoni Simoni (brachydactyla) too me or maybe Caridina Sp Short nose but short nose are usually less colorful than yours.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to maoundi For This Useful Post:

RedLotus (28th Aug 2014)

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks

Thank you maoundi, Caridina Simoni Simoni looks incredibly similar.... similar markings and shape. That's the closest I have seen so far to mine!!

Thread Information