Thread: ADA amazonia II problem with PH and ammonia

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Red face ADA amazonia II problem with PH and ammonia

i recently changed out my soil to new ADA amazonia by following the fast cycling instruction posted by silane below: however i am experiencing alot of problems with high PH and ammonia not dropping to O..

Day 0 - add in Adasoil and water
    Day 1 - change near 100% water
    Day 1.5 - change near 100% water
    Day 2 - change near 100% water
    Day 2.5 - change near 100% water
    Day 2.5 - add in water that was used to wash a matured filter wool and sponge
    Day 4 - start to see ammonia goes down and nitrate raising
    Day 6 - ammonia at 0.25ppm and nitrate 20ppm did a water near 100% water change, parameter just after WC: ammonia is very near 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate is less than 5ppm
    Day 7 - ammonia is very very close to 0, I introduce my CRS.
    Day 8 - ammonia is 0.
    Day 11- ammonia is 0, nitrate is 5ppm.

its been about 4 weeks and after following the instruction on top i have since changed out the water 4 times (90%). i use 100% RO water so the ammonia not dropping as well as PH being 7.8 as of today is a mystery ?

my set up do not use a HOB filter rather i am using two sponge filter with a 20 gallon capacity air pump.

today after i did another 90% water change, i added the bee shrimp mineral + to raise the GH to about 170.. hopefully tomorrow ill get a 0 ammonia and drop that PH.

can anyone give me some input ? as to why the PH is so high considering i am using RO water with ADA aqua soil ? it should be really LOW.. and why ammonia level is still not stabilized?

Thank you so much!

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

anyone?

thanks!

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

6 hour after update:

in just 6 hours after WC 90% with RO .. the ammonia is back up to .5 i have no live stock .. just a little bit of plants (barely any).

what should i do? its been a month with many RO water change and new soil.. cant get 0 out the ammonia.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ifeelsooblue View Post
    i recently changed out my soil to new ADA amazonia by following the fast cycling instruction posted by silane below: however i am experiencing alot of problems with high PH and ammonia not dropping to O..

Day 0 - add in Adasoil and water
    Day 1 - change near 100% water
    Day 1.5 - change near 100% water
    Day 2 - change near 100% water
    Day 2.5 - change near 100% water
    Day 2.5 - add in water that was used to wash a matured filter wool and sponge
    Day 4 - start to see ammonia goes down and nitrate raising
    Day 6 - ammonia at 0.25ppm and nitrate 20ppm did a water near 100% water change, parameter just after WC: ammonia is very near 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate is less than 5ppm
    Day 7 - ammonia is very very close to 0, I introduce my CRS.
    Day 8 - ammonia is 0.
    Day 11- ammonia is 0, nitrate is 5ppm.

its been about 4 weeks and after following the instruction on top i have since changed out the water 4 times (90%). i use 100% RO water so the ammonia not dropping as well as PH being 7.8 as of today is a mystery ?

my set up do not use a HOB filter rather i am using two sponge filter with a 20 gallon capacity air pump.

today after i did another 90% water change, i added the bee shrimp mineral + to raise the GH to about 170.. hopefully tomorrow ill get a 0 ammonia and drop that PH.

can anyone give me some input ? as to why the PH is so high considering i am using RO water with ADA aqua soil ? it should be really LOW.. and why ammonia level is still not stabilized?

Thank you so much!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

I can't see how 100% water changes are good for cycling a tank quickly.. I would think it slows down the cycling as you need ammonia to rise so that bacteria colonies grow to break it down.

I recommend adding red cherries after about a week after you start a new tank, they are the hardiest and they will help you perform a live cycle on the tank. A fishless cycle with 100% water changes will keep you at stage 0 for a longer period of time.

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks

I agree with Pickyourdestiny on this.
    I would do frequent small wc and add some powder bacteria after wc. Works fine for me so far

Thread Information