Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caridina Dennerli 130 liter breeding tank

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Hi masele,

Seems like the first batch of shrimps you got are captive raised shrimps. I know Europe is kind of lack of captive-breed Sulawesi shrimp supply. Maybe you should consider selling or distributing some of them (don't post in this forum as selling is forbidden here).

Cheers.
    shrimpydaddy.com

Country
    Spain
    Thanks

If you are talking of the very first shrimps i don't know where they come from, but they never stopped to breed since i bought them 2 years ago
    Since march i am selling my shrimps to a spanish retailer, i sold a few before but never knew that they are so hard to find.
    My big trouble is to find another species, i am searching for any since january with no luck i even started small tanks to be ready in case that i could find one, but the months passed and i ended up putting some dennerlis... at least i got some training with small tanks and better view of the behaviour of the shrimps.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Try to look for white orchid, it is another variant that is easier to breed and widely available; they are very pretty under UV lighting (those used for marine tank). However, I personally have not keep them before. I may give it a try too in future.

Another thing interesting about your shrimp is the shell very thin. I'm still studying what influence the thickness and colour of Sulawesi shrimps' shell. My shrimps used to have very thick shell, after I changes water parameters, lighting intensity and reduce the algae then their shell became thin like yours. May I ask what lighting are you using and the intensity?
    shrimpydaddy.com

Country
    Spain
    Thanks

I tried everything but nobody can import them at the moment.. i read that C.Caerulea seems to be the easier one, even more than the white orchid, i asked for them and some other species including woltereckae, spinata, striata, mini blue bee.... but it seems that spain is not the country to buy "rare" shrimps because nobody has passion for the aquariums and only want to make big money with hard species easy to keep and sell.

In my opinion the colour of the shrimp vary depending of some factors:

-Light matters, they like good light quality, i have about 40 lumen per liter of led lighting (6500k).
    -Diet is also important, i give them food with fats and vitamins for better coloration and prevent mounting death and it seems that works, i had no losses for moulting in months and good variaton of colorations.
    -Stress is another factor, they could become almost clear blue when they get catched by the net, if decoration is white the surface is not mature and covered in algae and obviusly wrong water parameters.

On those years i observed that they are a very organized shrimps, the females are the dominants and they fight for food or place to hide, males seems that flyes around picking food with no fixed place to live and normaly showing lighter tones than the females.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Thanks for sharing your lighting information.

If you already kept Cardinal, you may not find blue tail attractive.

Regarding the thickness of the shell, I'm not really sure thin or thick is healthy for Sulawesi shrimp. Looking at yours having thin shell and they are breeding happily. For mine, be it when they are thin or thick shell, they are happy too. However, what I wanted to achieve is to find ways to bring out their best color and spots (there is a guy in US have done it for Cardinal). They are some what similar to softwater shrimp but yet different. Maybe I will do a search on marine cleaner shrimp, which may be their closest cousin, and I may find my answer.

"the females are the dominants and they fight for food or place to hide, males seems that flyes around picking food with no fixed place to live and normaly showing lighter tones than the females" <--- This behaviour is exactly like softwater shrimp. I guess this is due to the size. Usually the biggest/eldest will dominate.
    shrimpydaddy.com

Country
    Spain
    Thanks

How did you know that the shell thin or thick?

Have you ever breeded your sulawesi shrimps? If not you cannot see how they really behave in the tank.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

The opacity of the color and the edge of each piece of the shell. The young is always thin but the adult male and female can tell easily.

Yes, I have a 10 months old experimental Sulawesi tank that consist of Cardinal and Harlequin. Actually today I just added white orchid. I just posted some pictures on my blog, you can find it here: http://www.shrimpydaddy.com/2014/08/...ps-starry.html

Actually, I am more of studying them and see how make raising them easier, especially the wild capture ones, plus find out how to increase their coloration and spot without selective breeding.
    shrimpydaddy.com

Country
    Spain
    Thanks

This is a very nice tank.

Ive got 8 little dennerli, and I like it.

Congratulations!!!!!!!

Thread Information