Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp Photography 101

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

I have one more suggestion for insufficient light problem. If you have table lamp, especially those are using LED, or floor lamp, move them to shine from the top of the tank. This will help to increase more light. Just make sure the with addition lighting source, the white balance is detected correctly. If it is not, you may have to adjust the white balance manually.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

I happened to stumble across an article posted on Nikon USA site that talks about taking aquarium photography. Thus, would like to share with everyone: http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Learn-And...-aquarium.html

Do take not on the lenses recommendation. The photographer is taking picture of fish, which is much bigger. Thus, 40mm lenses may not be enough to focus onto our tiny shrimp but definitely, it's half minimum focus distance (compared to 60mm) is a plus point for shrimps that are by the tank glass.

Hopefully, you can learn something from there.

By the way, has anyone tried to use a circular polarizer to take picture of your shrimp? Usually, I use polarizer when taking picture through glass or windows in order to remove reflection. I don't have polarizer for my micro lense, the filter mount is very tiny compared to my other lenses. If you tried it before or have polarizer for your micro lense and willing to try, please kindly let me know the result. If it is good, I may try to hunt down one tiny polarizer for my micro lense.

Cheers.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hyoushoku For This Useful Post:

Daddyshrimp (20th May 2014)

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

By the way, is there anyone own the new Zeiss Touit 2.8/50M macro lens (be it E-mount or X-mount)? If yes, can you share with me on how this lens performs when taking shrimp picture?

I only own X-system cameras and this is the only native mount lens that has 1:1 magnification. Thus, I am considering getting it.
    shrimpydaddy.com

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

I'm using a B+W UV filter, does that count too?

I never have any trouble with reflections.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Doesn't count. LOL!!! Anyway, I order a tiny Heliopan CP filter for my macro lens and should be able to test in a couple of weeks time.

By the way, I have a curious question. You use the UV filter for what purpose (other than taking shrimp picture)?
    shrimpydaddy.com

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

Haha. It's acts as a lens protection, nothing more.

Looking forward to your CP filter test. I think there should be very little difference, but time will tell.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

OK. My polarizer arrived today (plus a lot of other camera goodies; feels like boxing day opening up presents LOL!!!). I just completed some quick test with it and I posted the picture and conclusion on my blog: http://www.shrimpydaddy.com/2014/06/...polarizer.html

My external flash cable also arrived and I tested using the flash. I tested it on Fujiflim EF-20 TTL flash with a bounce diffuser. Using the flash does provide good result and the bounce diffuser totally removed any hotspot. However, there is one problem. When using flash, I will love to narrow the aperture to get bigger DOF. However when I increase the DOF, the camera live-view does not adjust the brightness accordingly and are unable to see any thing. End up, either I have to focus using lowest F-stop first then increase it before pressing the shutter or I just live with lower F-stop and leverage the flash to decrease the ISO. My conclusion for the flash is.... I will not use it again, unless I am helping other people to take shrimp picture and their tank lighting is so low that even my lens and camera can't handle without flash.
    shrimpydaddy.com

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

Nice article on the Polarizer. Interesting, but I can hardly see the difference.

You give up on the flash already? . I have to say that it cost me some days practice to find the optimal settings. But to shoot at ISO200 and at 1/250s with flash, I like this so much.
    When you have trouble using live view with lower Aperture (higher number) I use both a flash and a strong daylight lamp to give me some light to focus. Although I never get good shots above F11. Also I like the out of focus front and background in the picture.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Yes, the differences are not easily to be spotted. You only can see them via the RAW file. There are much more details especially on the upper half of the shrimps. However, I find it pretty useless, unless the tank has very strong lighting such as in planted tank. I still prefer nothing between the subject and the lens. I have a tons of filters and all of them hardly being used; only less than 1% of the pictures I took in my life are with filter.

Yes, I gave up on flash. LOL!!! I prefer to be able to take shots exactly what I see in OVF/EVF. Not use to Imagine how it looks like after the flash is activated. Hahah... Like I mentioned before, I'm too old school.

For my tanks, I have very powerful LED lighting, which I tuned it down (30% duty cycle) on normal operation. When I am taking picture, I will increase it to 50% and I can take shots at ISO640 f4 1/30, which I usually find it good in most situation. Maybe next time, I will try blasting my lighting to 70% or more duty cycle and maybe, I can take shots at ISO200. However, I am afraid it will burn my plants and scare the shrimps. LOL!!!

By the way, what camera and lens are you using?
    shrimpydaddy.com

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Hi all,

I have updated the Shrimp Photography 101 article to include a Depth-of-View guide. This will be useful for you to capture as much of your shrimp while maintaining the maximum aperture in order to prevent reducing shutter speed or increasing ISO sensitive.

The link is to the article is: http://www.shrimpydaddy.com/p/shrimp...raphy-101.html

Hope this helps. ^^
    shrimpydaddy.com

Thread Information