Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cardinals Sulawesi shrimp at pH 7.0?

Country
    Viet Nam
    Thanks

Hey guys , 1 month since I started this topic and the shrimps are doing well . They're quite active and started to reproduce , however the pregnancy rate is kinda low ( only 4/57 pregnanted ) , but guess I will wait a bit more , since the tank is only nearly 2 months old .

Special thanks to hyoushoku for all the useful advices . Just passing by your blog , really amazing

here's 1 pic of my shrimps in meal time , sorry for the low quality

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

You are welcome. Nice picture you have there.

Once you successfully breed Cardinal, you can consider Harlequin Shrimp. They are even more active than Cardinal; people find them more shy but mine are hyper.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Kloudie, 4 out of 57 is a very good number for a new tank. Hope you will some babies soon.

Country
    Spain
    Thanks

Hi, i'm new in this forum.

I keep and breed cardinals since 2 years with great success and my substrate is totally innert, no suplement mineral are added in diet apart the ones included in the food and soft algae is needed, but it's not a must. Mine eat fish flakes, spirulina waffers, any commercial shrimp food and almost anything, but only when the population reaches some number, until that they only eat spirulina waffers.
    My water parameters are: PH 8'5 Gh 7-8 Kh 5-6 ppm 180-250, i use Ro water with mineral salt.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Congrats! can you post some pictures of your tank?

Country
    Spain
    Thanks

Sure! This is the smallest of my aquariums, it has 10 liters and was started with 20 shrimps picked from another aquarium, 4 months later it's quite full of shrimps

SAM_0582.jpg SAM_0596.jpg SAM_0580.jpg

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Masele, very nice set up. Are you planning on adding any other sulawesi shrimps?

Country
    Spain
    Thanks

Yes, i planned to do that 5 months ago setting up 3 small aquariums but unfortunately until now no one can provide me other sulawesi shrimps, even the cardinal is hard to find breeded in my country. I tried everything including asking in germany but i will have to wait until the summer

Country
    Viet Nam
    Thanks

Hey guys , some updates after 6 months of Cardinals breeding . The population up from 57 to ~ 350-400 now . Here's one pic
    DSC01141.jpg

It looks good in the picture but actually the tank has some serious problem now .

For some reasons , the pregancy rate is quite low . I have ~ 100-150 adults and the berried shrimps never reach 12 . I mean never ! 1 month ago they started to die off 1-2 a day , all sizes and keep dying until now . Some shrimps have problem with molting I guess , since I saw some dead shrimps with body stuck partly in the shields . I added some trace minerals using Seachem Flourish Trace , but it didnt show effection yet . I noticed there's some hairy green algae in my anubias , is that the sign of too much Fe in the tank ? This morning I turned on the light and saw 2 dead bodies , it really hurts so much

The hairy green algae is sticky looks like this , not the soft-eatable-green one .
    filamentous BGA wwm id.jpeg

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

When the population over grown the tank capacity, the berrying rate will decrease and mortality rate will increase. This is caused by too much waste material (not enough water), too little live food and fighting over territory.

Does the algae feels slimy when you touch it? If yes, it is spirogyra. If it is spirogyra, it is the sign of ammonia spike, which is inline with tank is over populated.

I saw you feed a lot of the "snowflake". "Snowflake" is a highly polluting food; it is the husk of soy bean that has a lot of protein. I will suggest you stop or reduce the amount you are feeding.
    shrimpydaddy.com

Thread Information