Thread: Shrimping Noob / Day 1 Tank Setup

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Default Shrimping Noob / Day 1 Tank Setup

Greetings all!

I'm new to shrimp keeping and stumbled upon this forum. Looks like a lot of good info here, still combing through the posts to get educated.

Today, I purchased the equipment for my first tank setup and would appreciate any advice you may have. Here's what I got:

-10 gallon tank
    -Medium sized Bio Sponge filter
    -10-20 gallon air pump
    -Seachem Flourite Black Sand (10 lb bag)
    -10 lb bag river sand (from pet shop)
    -Water dechlorinator (i'm using Tap water)
    -3 Crypt Parva plants
    -1 Anubias nana
    -Ball of Java Moss
    -Fluorescent tank hood with Floramax Plant Growth bulb (made by Aqueon)
    -Driftwood (loose pieces from pet shop)
    -Couple of small lava rocks (loose pieces from pet shop also)

I started out by attempting to rinse the Flourite and river sand but I'm not sure i did a great job since the tank is super cloudy right now after adding the water (slowly). Next I arranged the plants in the tank and added the driftwood and rocks (after boiling the driftwood and leaching out the tannins). I then slowy filled the tank (with tap water), added the dechlorinator, and fired up the sponge filter. Its only been a few hours so the tank is still super cloudy (i'm assuming from the dust in the substrate that got stirred up). I'm hoping this will settle out in a few days.

Then, after watching a few videos on YouTube about "Fishless tank cycling", I added 2 small capfuls (maybe 10ml total) of household ammonia to the water, and also added a small amount of Biozyme (bacteria) to the water. After this I went out for Pizza and came home and did my first ammonia test, hoping the water would have time to "mix" properly and distribute the ammonia I added. I was gone probably 2 hours. The first test showed I was at least 8 ppm (possibly more since the color scale stopped there and it may have been darker). Now I'm worried I added too much ammonia. Should I give it a day or 2 and check again or should i just go ahead and do a water change? Also, how long does it typically take to cycle a small tank like my 10 gallon? I'd appreciate any info you have. I added a pic of my tank, obviously the water is still cloudy so I'll update in a few days with pic when water clears.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

10ml in 10 gallons is quite a bit. I'd do a 70% water change, let things mix for a while and test again. You should target about 4 ppm. If you get too high, it will inhibit bacterial growth. If you have a heater it helps if you get temps up in the 25-28C range. Those bacteria metabolize faster when nice and warm.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Take it nice and slow. Don't rush things and add stock too soon. I would agree that you need to do a partial water change for the amount of ammonia you've added. Are you testing for anything other than ammonia? A Good freshwater master kit (~$20), a GH and KH test kit (~$7), and a TDS meter (EBay/Amazon ~$15) are essential. Also consider a remineralizer such as BeeShrimp Mineral GH+ depending on the species you want to keep. Water parameters do vary. I would give your new set up at least a month to build biofilm and algae before adding shrimp. If you search the web for "Cherry Shrimp Breeding and Care" the forum on the site that comes up is a good source for how-to articles and lots of good information. Good luck.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

What did you decide to do? Is it any better now?

Thread Information