Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Bolts Losing Blue

Regular
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks

they look real nice in color your babys.
    i dont no if the bb loose their color when they get old,but it seems like you are on the right path whit your shrimps

Regular
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

From my past experience, BB will get more blue and deeper as it grows older. It could be due to your water or stress resulted in deteriorating the color.

Country
    Russian Federation
    Thanks

Lovely shrimps!
    How do you prepare water purification, may I ask? If it's RO do you add any special salts, TDS up? Might be there is somthing missing in a water.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

try lowering the temp to 23c. worked for me

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Hi babygabe,

Are you using tap or RO water?

Did you dose trace elements daily?

Based on your picture, your shrimps are lacking of calcium (the shell is rough and thin) and other trace elements. You may want to share with us your water change regime too.

Regards,
    Wilson

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

What type of food are you using and supplements?

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Hey guys,

Sorry, I've been busy and finally got some time to come online to check the forum! Appreciate all your replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Button View Post
    Lovely shrimps!
    How do you prepare water purification, may I ask? If it's RO do you add any special salts, TDS up? Might be there is somthing missing in a water.
    I am using the Tap Water filter when preparing my water. IMG_5718.jpg
    I add IMG_5717.jpg Shirakura's Shrimp Mineral together when making water changes (1/5 water change weekly). My TDS is at about 210. Seems a bit high, When I add the Shrimp Mineral it does increase the TDS up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by paper_boy View Post
    try lowering the temp to 23c. worked for me
    Let me try setting it lower to 23c. The current temp is set at 24c.

Quote Originally Posted by hyoushoku View Post
    Hi babygabe,

Are you using tap or RO water?

Did you dose trace elements daily?

Based on your picture, your shrimps are lacking of calcium (the shell is rough and thin) and other trace elements. You may want to share with us your water change regime too.

Regards,
    Wilson
    Wilson thanks for your reply! I am using tap and feeding it through the Tap Water Filter. (I am a newbie, may I ask what RO is? I see that term used a lot. I am not sure if what I am doing is considered RO or not)

At one point I had been adding Shirakura Shrimp Mineral Daily about 5 drops, but I had stopped doing that when I got my water test to a GH of 5. (Previously my GH was low about at 3 to 4 and I had some shrimps dying before during molting) Now I only add it during water changes.

Currently my water para:

PH: 6.1
    GH:4
    KH:0
    TDS: 210
    Temp: 24c

What do you recon I can do to try to improve on my water?

Quote Originally Posted by Taron View Post
    What type of food are you using and supplements?
    IMG_5717.jpg

These are the two types of food I am using! I also have Shrimp food. Although my shrimps seem not to be too interested in the Shrimp.

What do you guys think? I am been puzzled by the lost of Blue for many months now! My CRS, CBS, Snow Whites are all berried, so at least some positives. Still the problem is with the BB's losing Blue.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

RO = Reverse Osmosis filter.

If you are using tap, you should not use the liquid mineral Ca+, which is meant for RO water.

For your problem, your shrimp should be lack of trace mineral. You can dose this using trace fertilizer for planted tank. Trace should be dosed daily, unless yours is an aged tank (1 year plus).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hyoushoku For This Useful Post:

babygabe (3rd Feb 2014)

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hyoushoku View Post
    RO = Reverse Osmosis filter.

If you are using tap, you should not use the liquid mineral Ca+, which is meant for RO water.

For your problem, your shrimp should be lack of trace mineral. You can dose this using trace fertilizer for planted tank. Trace should be dosed daily, unless yours is an aged tank (1 year plus).
    Wilson,

Thanks for your reply again! I am using the Tap Water and putting it through the Tap Water Filter as shown above. So I am not using RO water then correct? I am assuming the filter I use doesn't do the RO process?
    I know that the TDS from the water I get is 0. (Not sure if that means anything) Sorry for such a newbie question.

So that means I should stop using liquid Mineral immediately? I used it before because my GH was low and I was told to add some Ca+ to the tank to slowly increase the GH again.

Trace Mineral! Ah ha! Should I go and get myself a bottle of the Seachem Flourish Trace? I currently have A bottle of Flourish Iron and Excel, I guess that is not going to do the job.
    Inside my tank there are some rocks that I bought from the local fish store that I was told has minerals or trace needed too? I am not sure what they are called in English, as I moved to Hong Kong actually and I only know of the chinese name, I think it may be something similar to Minerock. It is small rocks that are white colour and when I put them inside the tank some of the skin flakes off.

My Tank is definitely not 1 year yet. It only has an abundance of Java moss.

I forgot to add that I do add 5ml API's Quick Start during water changes too (this is okay correct?)

I also do not air my water to get rid of chlorine does it matter? I usually store the water about 4 - 5 days before I do my water changes.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

GH may not tell exactly how much calcium or magnesium. Thus, dosing the it may upset the mineral level. Thus, it is better to leave it or use RO water. You can dose the liquid mineral Ca to raise GH till 6 but be careful it will lower your pH too.

Flourish Trace will do the trick.

Those trace stone is a rip off. It is too small to do anything and dose not dissolve that fast. If you want slow releasing trace, go to horticulture shop and buy Azomite (but still need to mix with other mineral).

As for air the water. If your water filter has activated carbon, you don't need to remove the chlorine. To remove chlorine, you also can use anti-chlorine.

The trick to water change is to ensure the new water and tank water has as close parameter as possible.

Thread Information