Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Bolts Losing Blue

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hyoushoku View Post
    GH may not tell exactly how much calcium or magnesium. Thus, dosing the it may upset the mineral level. Thus, it is better to leave it or use RO water. You can dose the liquid mineral Ca to raise GH till 6 but be careful it will lower your pH too.

Flourish Trace will do the trick.

Those trace stone is a rip off. It is too small to do anything and dose not dissolve that fast. If you want slow releasing trace, go to horticulture shop and buy Azomite (but still need to mix with other mineral).

As for air the water. If your water filter has activated carbon, you don't need to remove the chlorine. To remove chlorine, you also can use anti-chlorine.

The trick to water change is to ensure the new water and tank water has as close parameter as possible.
    Thanks again Wilson.

Let me try to raise the GH up to 6 and then stop. My PH is sitting at the highs for taiwan bees eh 6.1, I should have some room to play with although I know sudden changes is no good. Thanks a lot for the heads up.

I shall go buy myself a bottle of Flourish Trace when the LFS opens up again after the Chinese New Year holiday. Now do you have a suggestion for how much I should add daily? Or should I just follow the instruction shown on the bottle?
    Well it seems like I got ripped off on buying the trace stone. Seems like a lot of combinations needed for aquascaping to make it right for the TBs.

Thank you so much for your input. I do have a bottle of SeaChem Prime, I suppose it is safe to use it also as a mean to get rid of Chlorine? I haven't used it in awhile though because I don't know if adding too much chemicals into the water is a good thing or not?

In your opinion using API's Tap Water Filter like myself to prepare water is alright?

Back then when I kept Neos I used to make sure the water I prepare has a similar GH and PH when added in. Nowadays, I just rely on the filter, the PH is I know for sure higher than my tank water, because my tap water PH is near about neutral. But I am not sure if I should be adding chemicals inside my water to lower the PH before putting them into the tank. Would you have any suggestions for me?

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

pH does not matter too much. As long as it is from 5.2 to 6.5, you are good.

I personally prefer natural water mineral over chemical. If you have good tap water, running it through normal water filter such as the API Tap Filter will be good enough. Actually, I'm curious about your water. Last time when I was staying in Vancouver, the water is very hard. Where do you stay in CA as your water is quite soft at 4dGH?

For dosing the trace, I will recommend start with dosing half the recommended dosage then you may increase to one time the recommended dosage. If you have heavily planted tank, you may need to dose 3 to 5 times recommended dosage.

Seachem Prime is safe for shrimp as I tested before and I'm currently using it for cleaning filter and starting new tank, which when I am using tap water instead RO water.

For preparing the new water, here is my suggestion:
    1. Store the filtered tap water in a container.
    2. Add the Liquid Mineral Ca+ to increase 2dGH, which I don't remember wrongly is about 1ml per 8L of water. I'm traveling this week, I can verify again for you when I have time.
    3. The liquid mineral Ca+ will drop your pH too, thus you don't need to add any pH adjustment stuffs.
    4. Run a power head or air pump in this container for a day to a week for all chemical to enter full equilibrium state before you change the water.

If you want a cheaper alternative to liquid mineral Ca+, you can check out here on how to DIY: http://www.shrimpydaddy.com/p/meso-mineral-mi.html?m=0

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

pH does not matter too much. As long as it is from 5.2 to 6.5, you are good.

I personally prefer natural water mineral over chemical. If you have good tap water, running it through normal water filter such as the API Tap Filter will be good enough. Actually, I'm curious about your water. Last time when I was staying in Vancouver, the water is very hard. Where do you stay in CA as your water is quite soft at 4dGH?

For dosing the trace, I will recommend start with dosing half the recommended dosage then you may increase to one time the recommended dosage. If you have heavily planted tank, you may need to dose 3 to 5 times recommended dosage.

Seachem Prime is safe for shrimp as I tested before and I'm currently using it for cleaning filter and starting new tank, which when I am using tap water instead RO water.

For preparing the new water, here is my suggestion:
    1. Store the filtered tap water in a container.
    2. Add the Liquid Mineral Ca+ to increase 2dGH, which I don't remember wrongly is about 1ml per 8L of water. I'm traveling this week, I can verify again for you when I have time.
    3. The liquid mineral Ca+ will drop your pH too, thus you don't need to add any pH adjustment stuffs.
    4. Run a power head or air pump in this container for a day to a week for all chemical to enter full equilibrium state before you change the water.

If you want a cheaper alternative to liquid mineral Ca+, you can check out here on how to DIY: http://www.shrimpydaddy.com/p/meso-mineral-mi.html?m=0
    Wilson,

Thanks for you input. Actually I have moved back to Hong Kong permanently and I was also staying in Vancouver before. I honestly have already forgotten about what my tap water parameters were in Vancouver. I do remember needing to use the SeaChem buffers to adjust my water so that it would be close to the tank water. My tank water currently for my setup in Hong Kong is at 4GH and I have hit 5GH before but since then I stopped with dosing the Liquid Mineral Ca+.

Great! I shall go and make the purchase for the SeaChem Trace tomorrow. I'll take your advice and take it slow first for the first couple of dosage.

Looks like I'll need buy an air pump and air stone.

It'd be great if you could check that for me for the Mineral Ca+. The instructions on the bottle is all japanese. I have only followed the perceived instruction on the bottle for the water changes but I am not sure how much increase it actually gives me, as I have never tested the water after the Ca+ has been added to my new water.

Thanks again for your help!

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Oh..... Don't use HK tap water with shrimp. They will kill them. The pipes in HK are old and the water is very contaminated. Plus the water source is bad. I was forced to use RO water due to these reasons. If you really want to use HK tap water, you will need those water filter that uses ceramic filter to take out all heavy metal. I used one of those Mitsubishi Cleansui filter and it does work but not as good as RO.

For the Liquid mineral Ca+ to increase 2dGH, you need 1ml for every 6L of water.

Since you are living in HK, you will not suggest you getting Seachem Trace as it is expensive compared to NA. Instead, you should consider Tropica Premium Fertiliser, the orange color one (not the green one). Tropica uses stronger chelAting agent and will last slightly longer.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Oh..... Don't use HK tap water with shrimp. They will kill them. The pipes in HK are old and the water is very contaminated. Plus the water source is bad. I was forced to use RO water due to these reasons. If you really want to use HK tap water, you will need those water filter that uses ceramic filter to take out all heavy metal. I used one of those Mitsubishi Cleansui filter and it does work but not as good as RO.

For the Liquid mineral Ca+ to increase 2dGH, you need 1ml for every 6L of water.

Since you are living in HK, you will not suggest you getting Seachem Trace as it is expensive compared to NA. Instead, you should consider Tropica Premium Fertiliser, the orange color one (not the green one). Tropica uses stronger chelAting agent and will last slightly longer.
    So does that mean even the API Tap Water Filter I am currently using won't work? I have used that and have tested the water to have 0TDS. I have actually also previously used the water filter for drinking too, but I am quite sure it is not as reliable and good for the shrimps.

Thank you so much for checking the dossage for me! It is much appreciated. I will try that tonight! I am going to make the purchase for the trace as well as the air pump and air stone today.

Tropica Premium Fertiliser, okay! I will look for that! Thanks a lot for your suggestion!

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

You get 0 TDS? Which model are you using? If 0 TDS should be a RO system. For 4dGH, it is impossible to have 0 TDS. Strange....

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

You get 0 TDS? Which model are you using? If 0 TDS should be a RO system. For 4dGH, it is impossible to have 0 TDS. Strange....
    Wilson, I am using API's Tap Water Filter in the picture from my previous post.
    IMG_5718.jpg

Wilson, sorry the previous water parameters was my tank's water.

The water that I stored and prepared is not 4dGH it is much less!
    If I recall the last time I checked it it was either 0 or 1 as it only took one drop of solution during the GH test.

I apologize for the confusion! Let me go home tonight to check the water coming straight out of the filter tonight!

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Oh.... It's a DI system. However, it only has AC and resin, which may not be perfect for HK water that is very contaminated.

The resin may introduce sodium or potassium into the water during the ion exchange. You may want to verify this. Potassium is OK for shrimp but not too much sodium as it will prevent flora and fauna from absorb other Group 1 elements.

As this is a resin only system, the water condition will change according to how much the resin has been exhausted. As such, you need to measure the water condition every time before you dose the liquid mineral Ca.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hyoushoku For This Useful Post:

kirehajba (4th Feb 2014)

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Oh.... It's a DI system. However, it only has AC and resin, which may not be perfect for HK water that is very contaminated.

The resin may introduce sodium or potassium into the water during the ion exchange. You may want to verify this. Potassium is OK for shrimp but not too much sodium as it will prevent flora and fauna from absorb other Group 1 elements.

As this is a resin only system, the water condition will change according to how much the resin has been exhausted. As such, you need to measure the water condition every time before you dose the liquid mineral Ca.
    Wilson,

What exactly should I check for? (for the new water stored after processed through from the filter)
    I purchased an air pump today already as well as a bottle of the Flourish Trace from Seachem. For some reason I couldn't find the Tropica Premium Fertiliser.

Anyways, I checked the instructions on the bottle of Seachem Flourish Trace, it has directed me to put in 1 capful for every 80L (20G) twice a week. You had previously suggested me to put in trace elements daily correct? How much should I put it daily?

I'll measure the water stored tonight and let you know the conditions and parameters.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Water straight out of the API Tap Water Filter:

PH: 7.4
    GH: 0
    KH: 0
    TDS: 0

Prior to any dosage and using air pump

Thread Information