Thread: Shrimp nano tank project

Country
    Romania
    Thanks

Default Shrimp nano tank project

Hi everyone,

I currently have a 100 Litres planted aquarium with 2 schools of tetra fish, some snails and I recently got a bunch of red cherry shrimp. I just fell in love with them and now I`m seriously considering making a nano aquarium dedicated to them. At first I will move some cherry shrimp to it, and maybe add a new species later on (some Caridina type maybe).

Because I never had a dedicated shrimp tank, and my only shrimp experience is from the last week, I`m in the dark regarding what I need for them.

1. Is this tank a viable option: Aquael Shrimp Set (google it up, you can also see a presentation movie on youtube, but I`m not yet allowed to post any links) ? My main concern is first about the filter: Is it enough for them? I am considering the larger one (the 30 Liters one).

2. I want to have in the tank a drift wood with some kind of moss (depending on what I can find at the petstore), and as plants some low maintenance ones that do not need too much fertilising, if any. I`m thinking about:
    Bacopa Caroliana, Anubias Nana (petite maybe), Bacopa Compact, Staurogyne repens. Maybe at the beginning put some fast growing ones, untill the tank is cycled, which I think will go faster than usual, being able to use some media from my larger aquarium.

3. I currently have about 2-3 litters of JBL Manado. Will this do as substrate? Or is ADA Amazonia better? Or do I really have to get some shrimp specific substrate like Shirakura Red bee? But will this substrate be good anough for the plants too?

Thank you.

Country
    Israel
    Thanks

A link to the aquael shrimp tank set http://www.aquael.pl?optio...id=313&lang=en
    1.I think is filter is OK. You do not need strong currents in yr shrimp tank.
    2.Shrimps love moss. I would advice u to stick to easy n undemandng plants like Java Fern, Anubias, diff.types of moss, etc.
    The plants u've mentoned Bacopa Caroliana, Bacopa Compact, Sturogyne repens, need a bit of ferts otherwise they turn yellow n unhealthy.
    The smaller the tank the lesser the volume of water try to avoid adding ferts coz it affects the shrimps adversely.
    3.I would avoid JBL Manado in a shrimp only tank. See this link from the past http://www.shrimpnow.com/forum/show...BL-Manado-soil
    I personally used New ADA Amazonia in my newest tank set up 3 months ago and very satisfied with the soil, it is good for plants too.
    I have no experience wit Shirakura red bee substrate so I cannot advice.

Country
    Romania
    Thanks

Thank you.

I heard that having ADA Amazonia in the tank, it is a bit tough to cycle. Is this true?

Country
    China
    Thanks
    Images

The filter comes with aquaEl seems provide far too strong current for the tank, in my experience. I replaced it with one 200l/h and with much bigger filter volumne.

Thread Information