Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: New tank setup for PRL

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Country
    Netherlands
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default New tank setup for PRL

    Hi all,

    Recently I've started to cycle a tank for PRL's and now I'm waiting for the tank to mature.
    But still I'm wondering what you think about the setup for PRL.

    To start with, it's a 45-P ADA tank, about 35 liters with a 7000k led light. I'm using an underground filter which is connected to a cannister filter (minikani 80).
    For substrate I chose ADA New Amazonia, what seems to be one of the best soil for PRL's. I did bought the normal and not the powder and I've used a sieve to seperate the bigger soil from the smaller ones. The bigger soils for the bottom and the smaller ones to cover it. Underneath the soil I've used Mosura old sea mud powder for minerals and to improve the longer use of the soil.
    To give the cycling proces a boost, I used BioDigest from Prodibio. Also I've added an Oxydator from Söchtung to improve the oxygen level in the water, which can improve the growth of bacteria (read it somewhere, can't remember where).
    After 2 weeks I've also added "Borneo Wild Bee Ball" to the cannister filter and also in the aquarium. This is a conditioner for shrimps, which should enhance water quality and also release some minerals. There are also two rasbora's in the aquarium.

    It has been cycling for 3 weeks now, but still it doesn't look like it is maturing. Only little spots on the glas and also a bit of white film on the plastic. I've decided to get the PRL's when the tank is matured
    Information:
    pH: 5.5-6
    NO2: 0 mg/l
    NO3: 10 mg/l
    kH: 1
    gH: 5-6

    IMG_20131108_202051.jpg
    IMG_20131125_135005.jpg
    IMG_20131125_135021.jpg
    (The stand was a DIY project)

    So share your opinion to improve my aquarium!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Country
    United_States
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    looks really simple and clean. off to a great start! glad you are taking your time!

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to bostoneric For This Useful Post:

    aycchung (26th Dec 2013)

  4. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Country
    Netherlands
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Update

    An update of my tank.
    After 7-8 weeks cycling I've bought some PRL! As you can see I also added a sponge filter which is connected to the UGF and the cannister filter.
    Although I'm wondering if the water contain enough air for the shrimps. Is the oxidator enough?

    IMG_20131224_165214.jpg

    There are 18 shrimps in the tank, some are A-S grade and some SS-SSS.
    All the pictures are taken with my phone... The shrimps are better looking in person.

    IMG_20131224_165237.jpg

    IMG_20131224_162942.jpg
    A really small one

    IMG_20131224_150351.jpg
    Hope you like it

  5. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Country
    Denmark
    Posts
    186
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts

    Default

    nice shrimp and setup it looks like to mee you have some moss there produce small air bubbles it looks like that in one off your pictures if iam right you should have enough air.
    do u want to take your filter out ?

  6. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Country
    Netherlands
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bostoneric View Post
    looks really simple and clean. off to a great start! glad you are taking your time!
    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by monjak2444 View Post
    nice shrimp and setup it looks like to mee you have some moss there produce small air bubbles it looks like that in one off your pictures if iam right you should have enough air.
    do u want to take your filter out ?
    Thank you. I'm not taking the filter out, keeping as it is.

    Currently I'm restarting my 20 liter nanotank with new UGF, sponge filter and a small cannister filter, I've ordered those filters yesterday.
    I will use the smaller tank for selecting the shrimps and keep them there till they are sold. Also going to try to use it as an automatic water refiller for the bigger tank.
    Trying to use a small tube and stick it to the walls of both tanks. When the water of the bigger tank vaporate gravity should refill it till it's leveled.
    Now it is empty as you can see.
    IMG_20140105_184721.jpg

  7. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Country
    United_States
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aycchung View Post
    Thanks!



    Thank you. I'm not taking the filter out, keeping as it is.

    Currently I'm restarting my 20 liter nanotank with new UGF, sponge filter and a small cannister filter, I've ordered those filters yesterday.
    I will use the smaller tank for selecting the shrimps and keep them there till they are sold. Also going to try to use it as an automatic water refiller for the bigger tank.
    Trying to use a small tube and stick it to the walls of both tanks. When the water of the bigger tank vaporate gravity should refill it till it's leveled.
    Now it is empty as you can see.
    IMG_20140105_184721.jpg
    Nice setup

  8. #7
    Member Squiggle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Country
    Australia
    Location
    Shrimp Nirvana
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Very nice dude, so simple & clean looking, well done!

  9. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Country
    Spain
    Location
    Tudela (Navarra) Tarazona (Zaragoza)
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Very nice and simple yet
    to enjoy prawns 100% hassle

  10. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Country
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Hi Aycchung, nice looking set up you have!
    I was wondering, did you get your PRL's in the Netherlands or from somewhere else? Around the end of this summer i will start keeping PRL's my self, and i am looking for a nice group of animals. So far i only have found one Dutch shrimpshop that is selling PRL's here..
    Kind regards, Matthijs

  11. #10
    New Member ronanggl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Country
    Singapore
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aycchung View Post
    An update of my tank.
    After 7-8 weeks cycling I've bought some PRL! As you can see I also added a sponge filter which is connected to the UGF and the cannister filter.
    Although I'm wondering if the water contain enough air for the shrimps. Is the oxidator enough?

    IMG_20131224_165214.jpg

    There are 18 shrimps in the tank, some are A-S grade and some SS-SSS.
    All the pictures are taken with my phone... The shrimps are better looking in person.

    IMG_20131224_165237.jpg

    IMG_20131224_162942.jpg
    A really small one

    IMG_20131224_150351.jpg
    Hope you like it
    Hi, sorry for digging up this old post, but I would really want to know how can I add sponge filter onto the ugh which is connected to canister.

    I love to get this setup on my next upcoming shrimp tank. Hope to get ur reply.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. [GEMu's PRL] Hi-Grade CRS PRL in BANGKOK 2
    By Breeder in forum My Crystal Red Shrimps and CRS Tank
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12th Jan 2014, 07:54 PM
  2. New to PRL
    By washywashy in forum My Crystal Red Shrimps and CRS Tank
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 27th Jul 2013, 12:05 AM
  3. My F7 PRL
    By ZAWA in forum Crystal Red Shrimp
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 31st Mar 2013, 02:05 AM
  4. Hi from Germany, Akaebinosato PRL, searching for PRL CRS
    By Mario PRL in forum My Crystal Red Shrimps and CRS Tank
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12th Mar 2012, 01:41 PM
  5. Hi-Grade PRL CRS in BANGKOK 2 [GEMu's PRL]
    By Breeder in forum My Shrimp Tank and Shrimps
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29th Jun 2011, 11:13 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •