Thread: Newbie with a Shrimplet

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks

Default Newbie with a Shrimplet

Hello everyone. First post.

I recently got myself a few 'blue phantom' shrimp:

SAM_3403.jpg

Four in total. Unfortunately, one didn't survive the acclimatisation process and died the following day.

A few days later, I spot a tiny little shrimplet sitting on the coconut. It's very clearly a shrimplet, not a little intruder. I'm so sure it wasn't there when I got the shrimp, but I keep checking and I can still see just one.

I don't know where it's come from. I can't see any others hiding. It's too small to capture on camera, but is a bright pink colour rather than blue. Is this normal?

Very confused! Thanks.

Regular
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks

welcome to shrimpnow its sound to that you got baby's did u notice any eggs around the belly on some of the shrimp.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monjak2444 View Post
    welcome to shrimpnow its sound to that you got baby's did u notice any eggs around the belly on some of the shrimp.
    Thanks for your reply.

I did think when I got them that one looked pregnant, but none of them do now. I wondered if maybe the one that died was the pregnant one? Could it have had one baby and then died, or is that a stupid suggestion?

The baby is such a bright pink colour as well, which is strange with the others being blue, but might be normal.

Regular
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks

sometimes females died after giving birth and in some cases some of the eggs dont hatch.the color on the shrimp is pretty normal.do u know what species it is it looks like a neocaridina blue fairy,another thing always get the latin name so u know wich species u bought.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks

Thank you.

They were sold as 'Blue Phantom' Neocaridina Heteropoda, so I believe are just blue variations of cherry shrimps.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

To be exact, they are Rili X Blue Tiger.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hyoushoku View Post
    To be exact, they are Rili X Blue Tiger.
    Thank you.

I am so confused. I must be doing something wrong but at the same time I have no idea what's going on.

I was out last night, and returned home to find a complete shrimp moult (my first one). This morning, I woke to find that a shrimp (presumably the one that moulted) had died.

However, I also have one more shrimplet. Smaller than the other one. I've just seen them side by side. The shrimplet I first posted about is a light pink. This one is completely white.

I started with four shrimp, two have died and two more have appeared. One new shrimplet after each death!

I'm starting to believe in reincarnation.

I feel terrible for the two that have died. The first one I thought was acclimatisation shock but this one just seems to have died after what seemed like a perfect moult...and where are these new shrimplet coming from one at a time?

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
    Thank you.

I am so confused. I must be doing something wrong but at the same time I have no idea what's going on.

I was out last night, and returned home to find a complete shrimp moult (my first one). This morning, I woke to find that a shrimp (presumably the one that moulted) had died.

However, I also have one more shrimplet. Smaller than the other one. I've just seen them side by side. The shrimplet I first posted about is a light pink. This one is completely white.

I started with four shrimp, two have died and two more have appeared. One new shrimplet after each death!

I'm starting to believe in reincarnation.

I feel terrible for the two that have died. The first one I thought was acclimatisation shock but this one just seems to have died after what seemed like a perfect moult...and where are these new shrimplet coming from one at a time?
    Hmm... New tank die after molt may signified they are lack of nutrients from diet and/or water.

Reincarnation eh? LOL!!! In future when all your shrimps are healthy, you will find the offspring resemblance their parent in terms of physical and behaviour. They are quite interesting and entertaining by watching the "Mini Me".

Hope your shrimplet will grow up fast and healthily.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

We migt be able to help more if you could tell us any of your water parameters. You're just starting out but anything could help, either kh, gh, tds, temperature, or ph.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

yeah, it's definitely NOT a rili x tiger. neocaradina =/= caradina

Thread Information