Thread: Interesting yellow parasites/fungus

Country
    Turkey
    Thanks

Default Interesting yellow parasites/fungus

What is this yellow thing in shrimps pleopods? Melting other shrimp legs.. What is your advice? What is that..

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Never seen anything like that.

Regular
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks

damn that looks crazy never seen that before.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

The first 3 pics appear to be fungal or some other colonizing organism. The bottom pic looks completely different. I want to say protozoan for the 4th pic. My replies are only speculation. Thank you for posting pics. The yellow funk gave me chills when I first looked at it! Good luck with your shrimps!

Country
    Russian Federation
    Thanks

Looks like Asian fungus and one of the common treatments I know is Fungol (JBL) - 20 drops for 50 liters of water (2 drop for 2,5 liters), dissolve it in a glass of aquarium water, mix and add to the tank. After 5 days 50% fresh water change is necessary. Could be repeated if due. Carbon filter or carbon sponge should be removed during the treatment.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks

I'd be very interested as to what this is and how to treat it, as I have a few shrimp with the same Fungus/Parasites.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks

I just wanted to add that one of my RCS had the same thing. I had no idea how to treat it at the time, but it eventually went away by itself.
    Since then I have read that quarantine and daily salt water baths (for about an hour) is the thing to do.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Hello! I just joined this thread because of my findings on this fungal infection and was looking for more insight.

This is ellobiopsidae.

Its a new fungal infection that has appeared in wild caught shrimp from the pacific ocean. Not much is known about this infection and there is not a for sure way to cure it. The shrimp seem to have a 50/50 chance of making it.

People have tried salt dips, meds, and blacking out the tank. This is what the place I bought my shrimp from sent to me:

Yes, that is Ellobiopsidae unfortunately. The best option you can do would be to isolate the shrimp in a qt tank and treat both with Paragaurd. A salt bath may help as well but it may not. There are lots of reports that say it can go wither way out there. This is a fungal infection that not a whole lot is known about yet. So as far as treatment goes there have been no sure fire ways to do it yet. We have been looking into this issue as well. We have seen paragaurd work sometimes but not all of the time. We have been tried to isolate infected shrimp and blacked out the qt tank and after 4 days or so it was mostly all gone! I can't guarantee that it will work but it is certainly a viable option as the fungus feeds on light too so it died off for us on a lot of the shrimp.

Here is a video of my shrimp with ellobiopsidae: youtu.be/kyxo7sz99TA
    Keep in mind that they're at very early stages and when it progresses it looks almost like lime green colored broccoli.

I separated the shrimp because I read that it may be contagious. He's in a 5.5g which is currently blacked out until the paraguard arrives.

Keep an eye out on your other shrimp for the next week or so.

Thread Information