Thread: Best beginner species??

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Talking Best beginner species??

Hi all, I'm quite new to aquarium shrimp on my own. When i was a kid i occassionally had ghost/glass shrimp in the community tank but you can imagine how that went (i was just a kid). But now that i'm older and i have an obsession w/ aquariums i'm looking into what i should get once i get moved into my new house in a week or 2.

I have several tanks to set up. A small betta tank (well filtered and heated), a larger bow front that is incredible, and am planning to get a 10gal to divide and possibly a 50gal too. but for the moment in focused on my 10 gal to divide.

On 1 side of the divider i'm looking to have some malabar dwarf puffers, snails(main food source), and maybe some Ghost shrimp. On the other i'm looking to have shrimp, snails, and maybe some ottos.

I have done lots of research on water conditions, etc. I do know they differ depending on species.

BUT...what I am wondering about is best species to start. I love the Neocaridina species. But the bee and panda Caridina sp are also eye catching. With fish, i have no luck w/ easy species. I do better with the species ppl usually have trouble with (angels, chichlids, etc). I Do NOt want to invest a whole lot of $ in the shrimp themselves and find out that they weren't as "easy" as said to be. So, i'm turning to you guys, who know your stuff.

I have read that ghosts and neos (red cherries in particular) are the best starters. But like mentioned above, i also like the bee and panda shrimp. I also like some of the other neo colors (yellows, some rilis, ets).

So what do you guys think I should start with? Which species are really easier, or recommended? What about ghosts (i know healthy 1s will be hard to come by as they're typically feeders). And what type of aquarium safe dividers/dividing material is best for shrimp?

Thank you all!!!!

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Cherries are easy to come by and live in a wide range of water parameters.
    While I was cycling my desk tank, a freind gave me 4 cherries that he pulled from his filter (2 adults, 2 juvies). I took them home and threw them in my kids little plastic tannk, and a month later I have 8 more shrimplets. very pretty red color too

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Start with inexpensive shrimp first or your lack of knowledge will cost you a small fortune.
    Trust me,

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Honestly best bet to start with would be shrimp from the Neo family. I would start with either Cherries, Pearl Blues, Yellow, or Rili's... But on the cost side of it Cherries are the most practical to start with because of the cost are lower. By the way, welcome to the forum!

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks

Welcome to the site Aurora, I've done a lot of research with regard to which shrimp to buy first and everyone says the same - red cherry shrimp. I'm a beginner as well, but what I would say is when you decide on which shrimp to buy and you've properly set up your tank, make sure the supplier is well recommended. I've seen a lot people getting burned because they receive poorly packaged shrimp through the post and the shrimp are either dead on arrival or they are so shocked they don't last very long even after lengthy acclimatising.

The first shrimp I bought died because my tank wasn't perfect for them, but when they arrived they were well packaged and insulated from the cold. The shrimp were not pale at all - which is often seen meaning the shrimp are stressed during transit.

Quote Originally Posted by mnnice View Post
    Honestly best bet to start with would be shrimp from the Neo family. I would start with either Cherries, Pearl Blues, Yellow, or Rili's... But on the cost side of it Cherries are the most practical to start with because of the cost are lower. By the way, welcome to the forum!
    Hey mnnice, sorry to hijack, but what do you mean by neo familiy? Cheers!

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Neo family as in neocaridina. The genus that all cherries are, be it blue red yellow rili etc. As opposed to caridina shrimp, such as crystal reds and taiwan bees.

Thanks

Cherries as a beginner shrimp...jumping into the more sensitive shrimp without the experience will almost certainly end with heartache and $$$ lost

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Will the two sides of the tank be sharing water? I have had dwarf puffers and they are quite messy since they eat live food. They create quite a bit of a waste and I always kept them in a tank with lots of extra filtration. That being said, I think it would be better to start with neos just because they can adapt to the conditions that the dwarf puffers will need. You can also obtain some very brightly colored neos that will readily breed. I know it always makes me happy to see little shrimplets in my tanks.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

I would start with Cherry shrimp... then CRS once you got the hang' of things
    (Painted Fire Red)

Thread Information