Thread: Portuguese Nursery 3000L

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks

Default Portuguese Nursery 3000L

Hello everyone.

My name is Fernando Freire, I'm a 26 year old (almost) Marine Biologist with specialization in Aquaculture.

I've worked for 5 years in the Aquarium business, working and managing one of the most famous Shops around my Country in wich I found my passion for water animals and specially Shrimps. I've worked with almost every specie available in the European market (except the 1-2 years new species like Tibee, Taiwan...).

In a conversation with my mother she suggested that I used my Bachelor in something new in the market, and a lightbulb came to my head instantly! Why not shrimps? more interesting, less expensive to breed and grow than fishes! Also the key for the business is the lack of true Aquacultures of these animals, shops only get them from outside of the country or they buy directly to breeders (not a legal activity).

I looked for my former Boss and buyed all the Aluminium structure, Aquariums and a lot ( I mean A LOT) of other materials that stayed in the Shop after it closed.

After a lot of planing I decided to start with half the structure that we had, 20 Aquariums, and modified the way it used to work: at the shop each aquarium had is own sump and each Aquarium had it's own water parameters. At my system I made them work horizontaly by gravity (sump is lowered by 20cm) and the sump is the support of the 4 aquariums in that "line". The system is 4 Aquariums high and 5 long (the 1st being the Sump).

I rented a cool place from a Couple of old family friends, that is divided in 2 parts:

(ATENTION: All photos in this post are from MAY/JUNE, new and more recent photos will be added as the topic goes on :-) )

The entry - Now it's just the place where I have the leftovers and in the future it is just to have the other 20 Aquariums... I didn't think too much on this zone, I'm just assemblying the system and after that I'll get to the outside :-P It measures are 5,7m x 3,5m

gallery_7494_3916_66333.jpg

It's very different right now, in 4+months there where a lot of modifications (specially in the entry, where 2x 1000+L have been added. In this photo I was preparing the aquariums for the Water Pressure Machine wash

The inside - Measuring 9,7m x 3,5m it's a great space to what I've got in mind for the beginning of this adventure! It has the system, in wich ALL aquariums are 1,2 x 0,4 x 0,35 (150L) with Sump on the back and I inverted the Aquariums that are working as Sumps.
    gallery_7494_3916_10065.jpg

It was important that the water arrived at the bigger side of the tank, which will be filled with floating plants and then It passes by 2x50mm holes to the front side of the system (back side of the aquarium ;-) ) the plumbing was simple, a 10cm slope between the 1st and last aquarium made in 32mm tubing. 1st it was in 20mm tubing but I had to change it.
    gallery_7494_3916_4724.jpg

gallery_7494_3916_39724.jpg

At the front side, 1st it has to pass a 5cm height sponge, notice that below the sponge there's a hole with a tap, this provides easy clean for more macroscopic garbage that sediments. Easy work = Bigger happiness hehehe. then it must fall down to a plastic net I made, stitching with Nylon (it's GREAT!) and filled with 6-8L of Eheim Substract Pro to provide good colony space. I has a 20cm air stone working underneath so it oxygenates better the bacteria colony, and finnaly it goes to the 4 aquarium system feeded by a Eheim 1260 (2400L/h). But brutal water flow allows me to have a good aeration and less sedimentation in the filter media... also I can always shake the basket, bacteria falls, goes to all aquariums by the water pump providing important food for all Shrimp species ;-)
    gallery_7494_3916_28452.jpg

Then it falls down to each of the 4 aquariums by a Spay bar I made also: it's a 2cm tube with 20x 2mm holes that provides oxigenation and surface movement. Also here is a photo of the derivation I made from the main water pipe (just a T, and a Tap to close whenever I what to do anything in the aquariums. Working normally with all tap opened to max there is no difference in the water flow in any aquarium of the system. May the Shrimp God bless this Eheim 1260! Also, I used half bag of ADA Malaya and other half bag of ADA Amazonia, 9L total in each aquarium. I pretend to get the minerals from the Malaya and the low pH and KH/GH from the Amazonia. I'll provide this last 2 with some "salty shrimp" salts!

gallery_7494_3916_4471.jpg

gallery_7494_3916_1475.jpg

I still have a bathroom (very little), a washbasin (in acrylic, because at the shop we had a lot of salt water and we all know what happens whit salt and metal, right? ;-) ) structure that supports a (+/-) 300L tank to put the RO water and prepare it before entering the system and also give me room to put some consumables for all this adventure . At this time the automatic reposition is ready for action but the pics I have don't have it! I also have a 1,8m stand for 3 Aquariums ( 2 x (0,6 x 0,6 x 0,35) + 1 x (0,5 x 0,5 x 0,6) meters) in which I will use to make some experiences. After that is a study table, to have all magazines, laptop, and stuff. Next is a cabinet for pieces and specific material that I got from the Shop. and finally is the Workbench, filled with tools necessary to put this baby running!

gallery_7494_3916_7657.jpg

gallery_7494_3916_38008.jpg

gallery_7494_3916_8459.jpg

And I think that's it for now, please feel free to ask any information / photos about any particular subject or system! Only your comments can help me improving all of the system!

I will repete myself: All photos are from MAY/JUNE, so there re some things that have changed once the sistem has been iniciated. New photos will arrive as the topic gos on!

The shrimps, if all comes to good, will arrive this or next week! More news about them when they arrive :-)

Best regards,
    Fernando
    Attached Images Attached Images

Country
    Brazil
    Thanks

Your tanks look great. Wish you all the luck in your enterprise.
    Regards,
    Papai

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

wow
    Cant wait to see more and track how you improve the system with time.
    curious to see once you settle in how things change and how much more you'll add!

good stuff!!

Country
    Australia
    Thanks

Would love to see more of this setup! Amazing!

Country
    Serbia
    Thanks

Your start is great, but whats happen now. Do you have fresh images and info?
    I was in Portugal from January to June and I'm sad because I didn't visit your shop.
    Best wishes.

Thread Information