Thread: Want To Learn About Shrimp!

Country
    Australia
    Thanks

Default Want To Learn About Shrimp!

Hello, I am new here. I found this site through a link from another forum. Can I keep shrimp in a nano tank~ 4 gal.? What parameters are necessary? Type of water..would reverse osmosis be desirable?Or Reverse Osmosis DeIonized? Would I need a heater, filter? I am planning a planted tank, but have'nt worked out all the particulars yet. Can they be kept with small fish, or is it best to devote the tank to them alone? Thank you for any information you can provide.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

You need to do a lot of reading on this forum and other websites. Sounds like this is gonna be your first venture into shrimp keeping. I started this year and found that reading as much as possible before I started buying equipment and shrimp saved me money and headaches.
    A lot of your question depends on what type of shrimp you plan on keeping.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

Indeed, don't get over excited. Take a month of maybe 2 to read all about it. Discuss thing, ask a lot of questions. And then buy some stuff and do it right the first time. It's possible. And like Mark say, it saves you a lot of trouble and money in the long run.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by may611 View Post
    Hello, I am new here. I found this site through a link from another forum. Can I keep shrimp in a nano tank~ 4 gal.? What parameters are necessary? Type of water..would reverse osmosis be desirable?Or Reverse Osmosis DeIonized? Would I need a heater, filter? I am planning a planted tank, but have'nt worked out all the particulars yet. Can they be kept with small fish, or is it best to devote the tank to them alone? Thank you for any information you can provide.
    Hi may611,

Welcome, mate!!!

Before we can advise on your questions, you need to let us know what kind of shrimp you are planning to keep.

Country
    Slovakia
    Thanks
    Images

I would recommend to keep the shrimp in a shrimp only tank and i would start off with low grade grade red cherry shrimp

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Hi may611!

I'm one of the new guys here. You've already heard from some of the folks on this forum who've made my first venture into shrimp keeping a success. If anything I say is contradicted by someone else on this site, then I'd suggest ignoring me... I'm a newbie. But I represent the viewpoint of someone who, I think, is where you want to be in a few months.

ShrimpmasterNL and MarkNJD15 are spot on... do a lot of reading first. I studied up on shrimp for well over a month before I started, and I still got myself in a sticky situation. The folks here were able to help me out, but it was a touchy situation nonetheless. Do all the reading you can first.

From the viewpoint of a newbie, I would recommend starting with a Neocaridina species. Through your studying you'll learn that shrimp are pretty fragile, especially in a small tank (mine is less than 2 gallons). Neos, however, are very tolerant compared to most species. Not so tolerant that you can take your water parameters for granted, but tolerant enough to give a good chance at success as a new shrimp keeper.

It may sound very limiting, but its really not... there are so many interesting shrimp in the neocaridina line. Red Cherry shrimp are very pretty and very inexpensive. There's a good chance you'll lose your first batch of shrimp (I did), so sticking with something inexpensive is a good idea. If red isn't your thing, though, there are yellow (what I have now), blue, clear, and orange. There are other colors too, though they get more expensive and harder to find. [Edit: All of these shrimp will interbreed, so only get one type... otherwise you'll soon have a bunch of brown shrimp.]

My best tip... learn from my mistakes! Do not rush your nitrogen cycle! From my limited experience, I would recommend getting some ammonia test strips, and some multi-test strips (the multi-test strips don't tend to cover ammonia). Once your tank is set up, you should see an ammonia spike. That should be followed by a Nitrite spike. Lastly you should see your nitrates go up. In general, some nitrates are ok-ish for neos, but this is your first go-around, so play it safe. But absolutely, don't buy shrimp until you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites. Otherwise, you'll be coming here searching for emergency advice like I was!

Another bit of advice: put some plants in your tank. A planted tank is so much healthier. They absorb nitrates (which are safe-ish, but can turn back into nitrites which are deadly). Ask your friends and family if they have any Creeping Jenny plants. A lot of people have them in planters. These plants can grow underwater, are virtually indestructible, and will give you a jump start on planting your tank. Plants can really reduce the stress your shrimp feel. Be wary of fertilizers, though. A lot of them have copper which is deadly for shrimp.

One last bit of advice from a fellow newbie: when the day comes to introduce your shrimp to the tank, consider them before your own desires. Adjust them very VERY slowly to the tank. Add a little tank water at a time to the water they arrived in. By this point you've waited months getting your tank ready, what's a couple hours? Take it very gradually, and do it in the lowest light you can. Once you have them adjusted and in the tank, cover the tank with a towel or something similar and let them finish adjusting in complete darkness. *Don't feed them!* Chances are high that they won't want to eat. Chances are even higher that you don't need to feed them (there have been no predators in the tank for months... lots of time for algae and small fauna to grow). With a small water volume, your more likely to cause an ammonia spike by feeding than doing anything beneficial. My shrimp get fed once a week, and I remove the food after 45 minutes. A small colony in a brand new tank don't need much food at all. You've given them a banquet already.

I hope this helps. Most of all read read read!

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Oh! I almost forgot! When you introduce you shrimp for the first time, they will molt! I mention this primarily because I don't want you to panic. This is normal, and all of my shrimp did this. What is important to note, though, is that they are very sensitive after molting. All the more reason to make sure your water parameters are correct before you buy shrimp.

Wow, there's so much more that I keeping thinking of... but really, just do your homework first. There is so much information out there by very informed and experienced shrimp keepers. Every bit of preparation you do first will repay itself 10 fold.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Thanks

Post ?????

a stone that will not be the baby right,????????????, Zhang Xiaodong Then there is to see there is a chest at between half a fist -sized stones, although large enough ugly. things are hard to say.
    said Lin Kou,????? ???, puzzled and asked, ???????? They shamelessly go by. ???????? guess you know. Tangen En hastily pulled out paper, ???????? it should be some etiquette is. patted the stomach, This is only applicable to just pull ! ???????? I did not agree with it ! Can probably think of ???????? sudden he just said that sentence.
    but also revealed in the quiet elegance ! it's boring day also flies long enough to play games anyway. how also tearfully looked at ???????? circle around ? attracting countless heads. seemingly Pan,????? ????, grins on Zhang Xiaoyu said: Zhang Xiaoyu heard so much about the students,???????, ????????? Husband 's relatives are all distant relatives, since he said he told Gu chairman, ???????? to punish. Hey... Tangen En growled well done but in the next moment come to see the face after thoroughly perplexing Tangen En incredible scream Cheng Cheng is also astonished looked Tangen En presumably just does not know is ????????
    Xiao also one who did not know the dead lying on the ground dead,????? ??????,Mozhuoxiaba Sky like himself ?????????? also fast 70 people,????? ???, must be dedicated nanny to take care of his life living in the future for his funeral. Difficult, you always fit with Xiao fishes ? Alas, but still obediently answer the question: Seniors, and she shall no longer remember this thing. or burned.
    impatient,????? ???, Xiabing quickly wipe a little tear,?????, Nonsense.
    ????????

?user=tr8tgr058gl&v=comments

.au/content/silver-bangle#comment-11418828

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Don't put any chemicals in your tank that aren't absolutely needed.
    If ou want easy plants to start off with, go for Java ferns and Java moss. Hornwort is cool too, floats on top of the water and grows like nuts.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Thumbs up 3 very important things'

IMHO, first things you want to start with to avoid many headaches'... RO filter for all your water needs, Salty Shrimp GH+ to remineralize the RO water for water changes, and a TDS meter
    (bare-bones 50GPD RO units can be bought for around $60)

Thread Information