Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Co2 for shrimp tank

Regular
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Default DIY Co2 for shrimp tank

Hi I'm thinking about making a DIY Co2 system for my 29 gal planted shrimp only tank. Reasons are mainly to lower pH slightly and to grow the plants quicker. I was thinking on using this exact DIY CO2 system design for my 29 gal, http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html. Just curious, if this design would be suitable for my 29 gal shrimp tank and if I should use 2 yeast CO2 generators like in the picture or only 1 which would be better?

Thanks
    Last edited by Robert; 25th Jul 2006 at 11:16 PM.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks
    Images

I would use a dual-generator setup. DIY CO2 is not sustainable the same way pressurized CO2 is; as the sugar is consumed by the yeast, the amount of CO2 naturally declines. With a single-generator setup, you will need to restart the DIY, which can take days to kick into gear. In a dual generator setup, you can swap out one generator when it is nearing the end of its cycle while the other generator continues producing CO2 and supplying your plants.

You may want to test the output of the DIY setup and adjust your CO2 output accordingly. You don't want your shrimp to suffer (although they shouldn't, since the output should be well within the limits for 29G).

Regular
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Thanks retardo, so i should go with 2 , 2L soda bottles for the yeast CO2 generators? And I was wondering if I could go with a glass diffuser or hagen ladder instead of the reactor mainly because I don't like like the looks of the tube and powerhead in my tank. If you have a DIY CO2 setup of your own that you use I'd be interested in seeing how you set it up. Thanks again
    Last edited by Robert; 25th Jul 2006 at 11:18 PM.

Regular
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Heres a pictures of what i have done so far http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/g...2_original.jpg
    2, 2L soda bottles, check valves for both, than a gas seperator(the small water bottle) then it will go to either a glass diffuser or hagen ladder - to my tank does everything seem right with my setup? kinda of a newbie at the DIY Co2 but decided to finally try it out so i made this in a few minutes

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Images

A permanent Co2-test is required.
    For the first tests it would be safer without any animals.
    The dosing is not so easy in the beginning.
    At all I was not so satisfied with DIY-CO2.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks
    Images

What you have is good for starters. I have some ideas on how to improve upon it, but I will have to expand on those ideas later on today (since I have some work stuff I need to get done).

I've been travelling a lot for my job lately, and simply do not have the time to maintain a tank with supplemental CO2 setup. It requires the additional effort to supply plants with the macro and micro nutrients they need in a CO2-rich environment. For this reason, I've been keeping my tanks extremely low tech.

Re: the diffuser, the hagen ladder has worked well for me in the past, so that is definitely an option. If you are going to get a glass/ceramic diffuser, you will want to make sure that there is enough CO2 pressure buildup to make it worthwhile. Without enough pressure, the glass diffuser will not be effective. Other alternatives may be a limewood air diffuser or sweetwater stones. Reportedly these work great also.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Not too sure if the DIY scheme can help to prevent 'mouldy stuff' (causes by yeast) to get into water.

Regular
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Thanks, ya im going to test it on my 10 gal first prob see how everything goes..if anyone has any pictures of there DIY co2 systems that they use on their shrimp tanks id love to see them!

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

in fact i do use DIY CO2 for my 2 feet plant tank. so far no problem on the mouldy things but sure have an abundant supply of soft algae which my shrimps are picking off happily.

Regular
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Could you take a pic of your DIY CO2 system? or describe how you made yours also how much sugar yeast or baking soda you use.

Thread Information