Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide on Setting Up Planted Shrimp Tank

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hyoushoku View Post
    You are welcome. Your forum nick sounds like my domain name. LOL!!!
    I am trying to be likes you. LOL.

I also have the background in macro photography. Still using my Nikkon D50 with Micro-Nikkor 40mm f/2.8 G F/2.8 G DX AF-S.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Old Nikon are better in terms of quality of build. The only problem is the ISO and resolution.
    Your lens focal length should be 45mm, not 40mm right?

Do you have lighting problem with your camera combo? On another thread, http://forum.shrimpnow.com/forum/sh...hotography-101, we are discussing on using slave flash.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

I used to have a hard time switching from Nikon F5 to the dslr D50. I owned couple of lens but don't own the 45mm f2.8 D. The one micro lens i have is 40mm.
    I also have a slave flash. Never used the camera flash, either. LOL
    I had been keeping koi for many years but shrimp keeping i just start. I am trying to learn from you on make trace +mineral to add to ro water for my shrimps. I am currently use Mosura Mineral Plus Ultra for RO water but it is getting very expensive. Trying to not adding too much more expense on top of my other hobby.
    Honestly, very hard to find a person likes you with passion to share your knowledge with others. You have my sincere RESPECT!

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Thanks for your appreciation.

Yeah, I'm old school too, not a big fan for flash. I think my one hand is enough to counter the number of times I used it.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Hi
    I have been reading your post mainly i want to concentrate on the make of trace n mineral additive for ro water? Never have any experiences with trace & mineral. The closest i get is to buy a bottle already made and following the direction on it. I am getting very good with it LOL.
    I have one request but don't know if you willing to help me with it. If you are unable to help for any reason is understandable but i want to give a shot.
    Would you guide me how to make the traces and minerals ? I have mostly moss and some plant. Currently have Crystal Red but later on i want some Taiwan bees and tigers.
    Thank you

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Good day mate!!

I don't mind guiding you making meso mineral; there is already an article in my blog: http://www.shrimpydaddy.com/p/meso-mineral-mi.html. However for trace, I will not suggest you making yourself, unless you can buy the chelated salts (not making your own chelated salts) easily and cheaply. Therefore, it is easier to buy of the shelf trace fertilizer. The cheapest trace minerals that is shrimp friendly is Plantex CSM or CSM+B. The only difference between them is the latter added Boric Acid. You can make solution out of it but required to add preservative and antioxidant to it. Potassium Sorbate, potassium ascorbate and ascorbic acid will be good choice.

For your case as first attempt, try to make your meso mineral first. For the trace mineral, you may need to spend money to buy a milligram weighting machine. (jewellery weighting machine).

Do you live in US? I saw your profile is in US but you are posting in weird timing. If you live in US, you are lucky as most ingredient is easy to get. However in a lot of other countries, chemicals are hard to buy and you may even need company registration to buy them locally. Alternatively, you will resort to order online.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Thank you for respond so fast. Yes, i am in US. I am a financial Advisor and trader sometimes staying up very late.
    Ok! I am going to get Plantex CSM or CSM+B and purchasing milligram weighting machine.
    Where do you suggest to buy the ingredients?
    Thank you so much
    Quote Originally Posted by hyoushoku View Post
    Good day mate!!

I don't mind guiding you making meso mineral; there is already an article in my blog: http://www.shrimpydaddy.com/p/meso-mineral-mi.html. However for trace, I will not suggest you making yourself, unless you can buy the chelated salts (not making your own chelated salts) easily and cheaply. Therefore, it is easier to buy of the shelf trace fertilizer. The cheapest trace minerals that is shrimp friendly is Plantex CSM or CSM+B. The only difference between them is the latter added Boric Acid. You can make solution out of it but required to add preservative and antioxidant to it. Potassium Sorbate, potassium ascorbate and ascorbic acid will be good choice.

For your case as first attempt, try to make your meso mineral first. For the trace mineral, you may need to spend money to buy a milligram weighting machine. (jewellery weighting machine).

Do you live in US? I saw your profile is in US but you are posting in weird timing. If you live in US, you are lucky as most ingredient is easy to get. However in a lot of other countries, chemicals are hard to buy and you may even need company registration to buy them locally. Alternatively, you will resort to order online.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Since you are in US, you can get meso mineral ingredients and Plantex CSM from local or online horticulture/hydroponic shop. For potassium sorbate, just buy from DIY brewery store. The only ingredient that is hard to buy is strontium salt. Since you only need very little strontium salt, you can consider getting strontium chloride from marine aquarium shop. The smallest bottle will cause you less than 10 bucks, which is enough for few thousand little of RO water.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Thank you again

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

You are welcome.

Thread Information