Thread: CRS and CO2

amidala

Default CRS and CO2

Dear all,

My 1.5ft CRS tank in the office has stabilised quite nicely over the past year. Tank temp is a good 22-24 degrees Celsius due to air-conditioning, and I perform a 10% water change each week, with daily top-ups. Photoperiod is 10 hrs, 2 x 18W PL lights on timer. No CO2, no fertiliser of any sort. I have about 20-30 CRS in the tank now, with about 2-3 females carrying eggs.

I've recently procured some mini pellia to grow in it - in the past Taiwan moss grew well and wild - the pellia did okay for a week or so, then it started to turn brown very slowly, though I've been told that mini pellia can do well without CO2. I'm concerned that with the injection of CO2, my CRS may be harmed. Does anyone have experience with CO2 injection in a 1.5 footer with CRS, and what type of CO2 do you use, and at how many bps? CRS look so good against the mini pellia that it would be a pity to let it go without a fight.

Thanks in advance!

Senior
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

CO2 with crs is okay. I'm pumping pressuried CO2 with my 1.5ft shrimp tank.

Start slowly to increase your CO2. If you don't have so much plants don't pump so much.

If you still afraid, get 1 or 2 small fish like boraras, then increase your CO2 gradually and monitor them. If too much CO2, you will see after few hours of pumping CO2, you will see them at the surface of water gulping for air then it's time to tune your CO2 down.

The purpose of using fish is it's much easier to observe compare to shrimps.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks
    Images

OT: Every time I read posts from you guys in Singapore, I always get a little confused... you tend to put the length of the tank (foot) instead of volume (gallons or liters). When I first read this post, I was thinking 1.5gallons/liters. Then I thought, no you definitely do not want to add CO2 to a tank that small, since the CO2 would be too much. But I figured it out...

Back on topic, if you do DIY CO2, you should be ok. Even at the highest CO2 output, the CO2 shouldn't displace that much oxygen, unless you have a super formula for DIY CO2.

Gabs

CO2 does not displace oxygen in a planted tank. Oxygen deficiency may occur during the night especcially in an overstocked tank. During the night Oxygen is not being used only by the fish and bacteria, but also by the plants.

In planted tanks dissolved Co2 levels should be about 20-25 ppm (these levels are safe for the fish).

At excessive CO2 levels (> 30 ppm), fish will have difficulty in using the oxygen available and the symptoms will be as if there is an oxygen deficiency, hence the gulping at the surface!

Try to monitor your Co2 levels by using KH/PH table.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gabs
    CO2 does not displace oxygen in a planted tank. Oxygen deficiency may occur during the night especcially in an overstocked tank. During the night Oxygen is not being used only by the fish and bacteria, but also by the plants.
    Correct. I misspoke in my earlier post. Thanks for the correction.

Country
    Czech_Republic
    Thanks
    Images

I'm happy that someone else is confused by x ft tank measures. what does that ft size mean? Length? internal diagonal?

Thread Information