Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New On Sulawesi Cardinal Shrimp Tank

Country
    Turkey
    Thanks

Default New On Sulawesi Cardinal Shrimp Tank

Hello Everyone,
    My name is Bugra and I live in Turkey.I planned to setup a Sulawesi tank 4 months ago and started to search some information on internet for so long.
    At the moment, my tank setup is as follows;
    Substrate of the tank is ( 0.1mm Coral Sand )
    Filtration is a basic Tetra ex 600 External Filter
    Lightining is Sera Brilliant DayLight T8-36W
    O2 is provided by air pump with an air stone in the tank.
    I have a driftwood of RedMoore planted anubias on it
    and some stones that had been collected by me from a freshwater river

In my sulawesi tank I have Sulawesi Snails at the moment, the species are ;
    Poso Orange
    Poso Yellow
    Yellow Anthena
    Sulawesi King Snail
    Poso Yellow Fleck Snails

My Water Parameters are as follows;
    Temp = 29 C
    Ph = btw 7.4 - 7.6
    Kh = 10
    Gh = 7
    TDS = I am not sure..
    I use tap water and I dont have a RO systems.
    I am planning to keep Cardinal Shrimp with my snails in this tank. As far as I learned from this website, I ordered SaltyShrimp sulawesi mineral 8,2 and i am going to recieve it in 2 days. I have some questions regarding my tank setup and I will be very happy to hear suggestions from you all.
    Thanks in advance,
    My questions;
    1. How can I use this sulawesi mineral and how can I add to tank, since I already have animals ( snails ) in my tank.
    2. Some of you suggested Lava Stones, is it a must for cardinal shrimp?Since I dont have lava rocks in my tank.
    3. Do we have to use Indian Almond Leaf? If so how can I use it, since it lowers the Ph and colors the water yellow.
    4Can you please comment about my water parameters?Is it okay to keep cardinals in my tank?

I attached some pictures of my tank,
    Thank you.
    1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bugrakorkmaz For This Useful Post:

Country
    Turkey
    Thanks

No reply at all.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

1. How can I use this sulawesi mineral and how can I add to tank, since I already have animals ( snails ) in my tank.
    I use Salty Shrimp 8.5 as well. I premix the salt in a 5 gallon bucket with R/O. I got over zealous the first time I mixed it that's why my water is hard. us don't need much and by the sounds of you tap water you will need less. you could use Aragonite sand to buffer your Ph up to 8+. just a suggestion.
    2. Some of you suggested Lava Stones, is it a must for cardinal shrimp?Since I dont have lava rocks in my tank.
    I don't have lava rock in my tank either. I have a white rock (can't remember the name) that is porous and has holes in it big enough for shrimp to hide. The rocks are now covered in algea and shrimp graze on it constantly.
    3. Do we have to use Indian Almond Leaf? If so how can I use it, since it lowers the Ph and colors the water yellow.
    I don't use them.
    4Can you please comment about my water parameters?Is it okay to keep cardinals in my tank?
    I think you'll been fine with the water parameters. From my experience stability is key to a successful tank. My parameters 82 F, Kh 8-9, Gh 19, Ph 8.2 and TDS around 625 PPM. I started with 21 shrimps and to my knowledge I didn't lose any. The water parameters have been the same in my tank for 5 months now and population is 80+ shrimp now.

Country
    Turkey
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigrig View Post
    I use Salty Shrimp 8.5 as well. I premix the salt in a 5 gallon bucket with R/O. I got over zealous the first time I mixed it that's why my water is hard. us don't need much and by the sounds of you tap water you will need less. you could use Aragonite sand to buffer your Ph up to 8+. just a suggestion.
    I don't have lava rock in my tank either. I have a white rock (can't remember the name) that is porous and has holes in it big enough for shrimp to hide. The rocks are now covered in algea and shrimp graze on it constantly.
    I don't use them.
    I think you'll been fine with the water parameters. From my experience stability is key to a successful tank. My parameters 82 F, Kh 8-9, Gh 19, Ph 8.2 and TDS around 625 PPM. I started with 21 shrimps and to my knowledge I didn't lose any. The water parameters have been the same in my tank for 5 months now and population is 80+ shrimp now.
    Hello,
    Thank you for your reply.Its really confusing that water parameters for these shrimps are changing person to person.They suggest KH about 0-4 Gh About 5-6 and minimum ph of 7.5 with 28Celcius temp.You have a TDS about 625ppm and gh about 19 woww.. thats amazing and you breed them..
    Congratz..
    Tomorrow I will add my shrimp in the tank and we will see what willhappen.
    Thanks

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

I held my breath for the first couple of weeks praying that they would survive. After 2 weeks I still had them all so I didn't change anything. I've keep the water parameters the same ever since. I have 4 mature females that are regularly producing 10-12 babies each time they berry. I also don't change any water unless my Nitrates go above 5 PPM. In the nearly 5 months that I have done 2 15% water changes. I top up regularly with r/o water due to evaporation.

Country
    Turkey
    Thanks

I held my breath for the first couple of weeks praying that they would survive. After 2 weeks I still had them all so I didn't change anything. I've keep the water parameters the same ever since. I have 4 mature females that are regularly producing 10-12 babies each time they berry. I also don't change any water unless my Nitrates go above 5 PPM. In the nearly 5 months that I have done 2 15% water changes. I top up regularly with r/o water due to evaporation.
    That sounds very good. You are succesfull on these animals. I guess these shrimps if they adapt their self with the water parameters you have then they survive and start breeding.
    I just had a check on my parameters again and my parameters are follows;
    Ph:8,01
    Kh:4
    Gh:7
    TDS:200ppm
    I guess they will like these parameters..
    Also I only add one moss ball inside the tank do you put anything in your tank?Since you use R/O water do you add Sulawesi Mineral?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

I have a moss ball as well. The shrimp babies seem to use it for a hiding place. I rarely see shrimp picking at it. I also have some peacock moss in the tank too. Same thing babies use it for cover and rarely pick at it. I have a lot of green algae on the rocks that the shrimp graze. I don't clean the tank walls except for the fromt panel and the shrimp pick at that as well. It is my experience that these shrimp don't bother with plants and don't need them.
    I use the saltyshrimp sulawesi mineral but mixed to much that's why my GH and KH are high. Your gh and kh maybe lower and the salts will help bring them up but it really doesn't take much salt to effect the water. If your shrimp are showing a blue colour they are stressed. I'd watch for this the first week or so. You will see the blue colouring when you first turn your lights on. This 100% normal. If you see the blue colouring after the lights have been on for a while then they are stessed. Good luck.

Country
    Turkey
    Thanks

I have a moss ball as well. The shrimp babies seem to use it for a hiding place. I rarely see shrimp picking at it. I also have some peacock moss in the tank too. Same thing babies use it for cover and rarely pick at it. I have a lot of green algae on the rocks that the shrimp graze. I don't clean the tank walls except for the fromt panel and the shrimp pick at that as well. It is my experience that these shrimp don't bother with plants and don't need them.
    I use the saltyshrimp sulawesi mineral but mixed to much that's why my GH and KH are high. Your gh and kh maybe lower and the salts will help bring them up but it really doesn't take much salt to effect the water. If your shrimp are showing a blue colour they are stressed. I'd watch for this the first week or so. You will see the blue colouring when you first turn your lights on. This 100% normal. If you see the blue colouring after the lights have been on for a while then they are stessed. Good luck.
    Ohh thank you for this important information. So you say that when the shrimps arrive, they will forsurely show blue color and probably will be stressed. What do you suggest for the first arrival? I am planning to drop the water for about 1-2 hours for them to adapt their new water parameters.Should I use anything or do anything to make them become red which means to throw out their streess?
    I dont have algea on the rocks at the moment but I am planning to keep lights open for 12 hours a day..
    I am open for all suggestions and earn good information from your experiences..
    Thanks alot

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

They may or may not be blue when they arrive but don't be surprised if they are. When they settle in they will turn back to the red colour.
    You have the right idea about acclimating them by using the drip method. I recommend to use some air line tube, tie a loose knot in it. Start the siphon and tighten the knot to control the flow of water down to a slow drip.
    Also with the high temperature and higher ph be sure to run an air stone in the tank to oxygenate the water. The shrimp will thank you for it.

Country
    Turkey
    Thanks

They may or may not be blue when they arrive but don't be surprised if they are. When they settle in they will turn back to the red colour.
    You have the right idea about acclimating them by using the drip method. I recommend to use some air line tube, tie a loose knot in it. Start the siphon and tighten the knot to control the flow of water down to a slow drip.
    Also with the high temperature and higher ph be sure to run an air stone in the tank to oxygenate the water. The shrimp will thank you for it.
    Thanks, is there a way we may talk synchronizly? May I have your email?
    Also, when the shrimps will arrive tomorrow morning Turkish time I mean.. Im sure the water of it will be cold.my tank water temp is about 82F already.Is it okay directly dripping the water of my tank to their cold water ?

Thread Information