Thread: HOB or Canister?

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Default HOB or Canister?

So I'm trying to decide between filters. My budget is under $100. I really like the Eheim line of canisters, the 66 gallon rated one is $85 on Amazon. Or I can get an aquaclear HOB filter rated for 110 gallons. I really like the aquaclear HOB filters too. It's only $66. This is for a 55 gallon shrimp tank. Anyone have any opinions on which to get?

Country
    Northern Ireland
    Thanks
    Images

Hi,

Follow the filter capacity. Canisters always win. Its not only about over advertised flow. More media = better.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zvirus For This Useful Post:

QC Discus (3rd Jul 2013)

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

I have no HOB filters and only 1 canister on my 90 Gal.
    I personally like sponge filters.
    But I agree with Zvirus that more filter medium is better. But with HOB cleaning is made dead simple
    while canisters can be a pain to clean . It is more of a personal opinion thing.
    If you want to be a strict "clean" freak then go with a HOB . A canister on the other hand
    tends to be a more stable way to go. Once it is set up and seeded well with bacteria very little maintenance is required .
    I have had some big ammonia spike when I improperly change the media in a HOB . I like the idea of leaving the bacteria alone to do there work.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks

Red face

Ducks

First rule forget about cost.

I have run both a HOB on a 45lt for shrimp tank and an Eheim Pro11 for the 75cm shrimp tank 100lt Exact water capacity.

The HOB worked OK at first then I pulled all the foam out and replaced it with filter wool and it worked a lot better.

Biggest problem at every weekly water change I had to pull it apart and clean it if not the filter became too dirty.

The Eheim Pro11 is totally different I could leave it for 3 months if necessary.

Cost the HOB is cheaper but I guarantee after a short period you will be wanting the Canister now you have had two cost in other words the Canister has cost you far more than it should have.

Forget about the GPH/LPH its how the filter works, its capacity and finally which is the better filter.

Cleaning a Canister once you have done it a few time its very quick and easy to do.

Keith

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Ducks

First rule forget about cost.

I have run both a HOB on a 45lt for shrimp tank and an Eheim Pro11 for the 75cm shrimp tank 100lt Exact water capacity.

The HOB worked OK at first then I pulled all the foam out and replaced it with filter wool and it worked a lot better.

Biggest problem at every weekly water change I had to pull it apart and clean it if not the filter became too dirty.

The Eheim Pro11 is totally different I could leave it for 3 months if necessary.

Cost the HOB is cheaper but I guarantee after a short period you will be wanting the Canister now you have had two cost in other words the Canister has cost you far more than it should have.

Forget about the GPH/LPH its how the filter works, its capacity and finally which is the better filter.

Cleaning a Canister once you have done it a few time its very quick and easy to do.

Keith
    ditto and what he said

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Sunsun canisters are sold on ebay for around $50 including shipping. They are rated good except for the basket handles being a bit weak. They are basically generic Aquatop's.

Country
    Norway
    Thanks

Canister wins for me because you can get the spraybar high ...more splashing = more oxygen...shrimp like alot of oxygen.

Thread Information