Thanks

Default My Taiwan Bee slowly dying

Hey guys,

My taiwan bee tank running for a month as parameter below:
    pH: 5.5
    gH: 5
    TDS: 130-135
    Temp: 23 Ceicus

I have CBS and Kingkong, Panda in my tank, their behavior looks active and always digging for foods, swimming around.
    But every 1-2 weeks I found 1 kk or pd death, I'm thinking it's might caused by molting problem as I can see a small gap between their head and body then I just wondered why my current gH and TDS is just not enough for them?

What should I do in a right way now? Please advice.
    I'm going to increase TDS to 180 to see what's happen. What you do think?

Thanks in advance!

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Any ammonia? Nitrates, Nitrite? Soil type?
    Now you said that is a month old tank... Check for nitrate, nitrite and ammonia, Howlong did you cycle your tank?

Country
    Viet Nam
    Thanks

Hi Alexopolus,

I used Borneowild Shrimp solid with a matured external filter. I introduced shrimp after two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexopolus View Post
    Any ammonia? Nitrates, Nitrite? Soil type?
    Now you said that is a month old tank... Check for nitrate, nitrite and ammonia, Howlong did you cycle your tank?

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

I wish I could have that soil available here. Your water parameters are good (I keep CRS and CBS with TDS 110 and they are doing fine), you should test your water for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. I have observed that usually shrimp tanks are not heavily planted, plants (most of them) will feed from that ammonia and nitrates, helping keep the all that controlled. Here in the united states we are just picking up with the shrimp hobby. You see a lot of people starting and giving up right away with CBS and CRS, because they started dying with no explanation. Most of the cases are just poor water cycling or not enought water changes (even you have to be carefull with the water changes, because they don't take change well ).
    Sooo, a well mature tank with a lot of biofilm and nitrifying bacteria is very important. I don't know how big is your filter or how planted your tank is, but it sounds like it need it to mature more.
    Believe me, I think of myself as a shrimp killer (), I have kill so many of them... Newbie mistakes, overdosing, overfeeding, impatience... You can name a mistake and Im pretty sure I have done.

Country
    Viet Nam
    Thanks

You should check the nitrates , as i remember nitrate has kill all of my shrimp just in one month

conchimxanh

First, Nitrosomonas & nitrobacter, both are very important for your tank in first time. But both of them can not solve about NO3. Nitrosomonas for Nh3, Nh4 -> NO2 & nitrobacter for NO2 -> NO3. Then, how about NO3 ? You should use denitrate filter system with <200 litres/hour. And filter media should be ehiem subtract pro (we're in Vietnam) or something else. The filter media should have surface is large enough for them.

Second, Are you sure Nitrosomonas & nitrobacter are enough in your tank ? In Vietnam, MaiViet is perfect for answer this question. Why ? Because how can you sure they are in Bt9 or Bacterball or something else ? I'm sure they're in MaiViet. Beside, in MaiViet, there're somethings good for shrimps.

Good luck.

Country
    Scotland
    Thanks

Not sure but I think your pH may be too low, I have been trying to cycle a tank for months with no luck because my pH was 5.5 and the bacteria don't do very well at such a low pH. You might also have moulting problems because shrimp shells are naturally alkaline and the acidic water might make the shell too thin to shed. Not sure if that is entirely correct, I read it on some shrimp websites, but I would get your pH up a bit to 6.2-6.6 ish. Good luck with your shrimps!

Country
    Armenia
    Thanks

CRS,PRL and Taiwan bee they're slow dying for some reason I don't know, what's going on with it OMG!!! why and why??? testing water for everyday!!!! but still pick up the dead body every 1 or 2 weeks...some time they happy running around looking for food but some time they didn't. I think the problem is they can't molt and they die.
    My water parameters:

PH 6.4-6.6
    KH 0
    GH 4
    Ammonia 0ppm
    TDS 135-140

-----------------------------------
    Now I will try adjust it to
    pH 5.6-6.2
    KH 0
    GH 5-6
    Ammonia 0
    TDS 180 max

Usher get very good parameters but they still dying and now I got no idea now
    pH: 5.5
    gH: 5
    TDS: 130-135
    Temp: 23 Ceicus

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

How long have you started up this tank and what substrate are you using?
    shrimpydaddy.com

Thread Information