PDA

View Full Version : planted shrimp tank

Elambert21
14th Jul 2012, 02:24 AM
my husband and I are new to any kind of aquariums. he is interested in fish tanks but I am leaning to a planted all shrimp aquarium. I have a 10 gallon tank set up with 1 male platy, 1 male guppy, 4 neons, 1 Otto, 2 ghost shrimp.

we are getting two more 10 gallon tanks and I am looking forward to making one a shrimp tank with all kinds of shrimp.

Here are my questions:

1) Is this a good idea?

2) Possible plants? (maybe anubias or java moss?)

3. How many shrimp could be safely added in this tank once I get it cycled?

4. How do I clean the tank without sucking up my shrimp in the gravel vac?

5. Do shrimp require heaters?( i'm thinking yes)

And anything else you think I should know...

Chetan
14th Jul 2012, 03:37 AM
Of course its a good idea.

All plants do well with shrimp. The main question is whether you are going for a co2 or non-co2 setup. Non-co2 will limit the plant variety.

You can start by putting in up to 20 shrimp after cycling. They'll multiply to over 100, provided there is ample plant and wood cover and friendly tank mates.

You won't need to clean the gravel often if you've got decent filtration and plants. Gravel cleaning is usually required for non planted tanks. Plants clean the gravel themselves (using the dirt as manure). Drop a few trumpet snails to turn the gravel, and add a few assassin snails to keep the trumpet population in check. I haven't cleaned the gravel of my shrimp tank this year yet.

Heater requirement depends entirely on the climate of your location. Research the temp requirement of the shrimp you want to keep and arrange accordingly.

You can refer to the entire setup process of my non-co2 planted shrimp tank from the following link. Should give you a good idea of going abt things ...
http://goo.gl/0SqVc

Also Google - planet inverts - for researching shrimp profiles and more tips.

Ghost shrimp are predatory. They will kill your neon tetra and otto once they grow bigger. They also will kill dwarf shrimp. So don't keep them for long.

Keep shrimp species that don't interbreed (like rcs and crs), otherwise it'll lead to unattractive offspring.

Have fun setting up, and do post pics!

Cheers!

--
Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk

Elambert21
14th Jul 2012, 04:10 AM
thank you, Chetan! that was very helpful. we are getting the other 10 gallon tanks today and I am so excited. I will definitely be reading up on your process because, since im a beginner, I would rather do a mom co2 tank for now :) thanks again

Keith
26th Jul 2012, 04:20 PM
Here are my questions:

1) Is this a good idea?

Having a shrimp only tank is always a good idea

2) Possible plants? (maybe anubias or java moss?)
I have Anubias nana, various Crypts but no moss.

3. How many shrimp could be safely added in this tank once I get it cycled?

20+ easily as they are not heavy like fish that can upset the bio-load

4. How do I clean the tank without sucking up my shrimp in the gravel vac?

I have a foam filter block over my syphon hose

5. Do shrimp require heaters?( i'm thinking yes)

They certainly do.

And anything else you think I should know...

Do a lot of research and ask plenty of questions first.

Keith:):)