PDA

View Full Version : Construction materials

popcorn
9th Jul 2012, 05:38 AM
Hi Folks

After my initiation into shrimp keeping with a 14l tank of red cherry shrimp (now with a load of hungry and growing babies yay! :D ) and a heap of reading here and elsewhere, I feel ready to move on. I've now got a brand new second hand 64l tank and a heap of ideas buzzing about my head.

A trip to my lfs and garden centre has not provided me with what i want; some kind of container that i could put plants in but that won't look completly out of place and unnatural. So, inspired by some online paludarium pics I've decided to make my own. I'm wondering if anyone could advise about what, besides silicone, is shrimp safe to use to stick together bits of rock/stones together, or build things from scratch out of?

I'm going to attach suitable plants to a bit of bogwood but would like to plant some into soil that isn't on the floor of the aquarium too.

Many thanks

popcorn
9th Jul 2012, 09:24 PM
Would plaster of paris affect pH? And those "resin" ornaments in the lfs, what kind of resin is it? Thanks

popcorn
10th Jul 2012, 06:16 AM
Sorry, been dopey, will use small amounts of mortar suitable for ponds. I'll just toddle off & do more reading...