PDA

View Full Version : Tips to care for shrimp tank when out on holidays

RONY11
26th Jun 2012, 03:56 PM
Summer vacations are nearing and many families got out for holidays from 3 days to a month.

I hope hobbyists share their tips and experiences about shrimp tank care and maintenece before they leave for holidays.

I make a water change of 20-30 percent a day before I leave.
I check the fans are working and reduce the light hours and move them to late evening.
I add an automatic water adder and a bucket of 10-12 litres of water for a week.
If its two weeks I fill a bucket of 20 litres.

Chiller is gr8 but many hobbyists do not have chiller use only fans during summer.

One can leave their air-conditioning on a timer so it cools the house during the hottest hours of the day.

I feed the shrimps well for a week before I travel so there are enough micro organizms in the tanks.
I do not feed during this period with a fish feeder to avoid extra food which will rot make a mess in the tank.
I add atleast 2 new catappa leaves to the tank a week before my trip date.

Please add your valuable tips.

Sprae
3rd Jul 2012, 09:48 AM
Great idea. I was planning to ask the same question too.

What frequency would you ask friends to check/feed/top up the tank if they can help out? Any tips on instructions and preparation?

RONY11
3rd Jul 2012, 02:59 PM
Great idea. I was planning to ask the same question too.

What frequency would you ask friends to check/feed/top up the tank if they can help out? Any tips on instructions and preparation?

If my friend is my neighbour too and I'm comfy with them I would ask them to have a peek at my tanks everyday. But if I'm requesting a family member or friend who has to travel to come and check my tanks I would ask once/twice a week. Anyways feed the shrimps everyday and add extra indian almond leaves a week before you leave for your holidays.

RONY11
12th Jul 2012, 04:51 AM
I returned today after 8 days vacation in Northern Italy...and the the damages were as follows
1.I attached an automatic water replenisher and filled 2 buckets with RO 10 litres each for 2 shrimp aquariums found them empty.
2.Attached 2 extra fans before I left I presume were working most of the time, coz when I arrrived home the aquarium temperature was 27.8 degrees.
3. Losses (deaths): 3 male CRS grade A-S, one snow white (heavily pregnant when I left), 2 female SSS grade one of them was heavily pregnant, 2 male CRS grade SSS. I have small bridgesi apple snails in the aquarium they act as cleaners so may be when the shrimps died the snails ate them.
4. Births and new prenancies : Saw 2-3 young babies seem to be a week old A-SS grades (may be there are more not sure).
Saw a CRS grade SSS and two CBS (grade A and S)females berried.

Rest of the shrimps (Rili, Fire and Sakura) seem to be fine but may be there were deaths there too but not sure coz its very difficult to count them.

Returned home made a 10% water change fed the babies, berried and rest of the shrimps.
The AC is running for 4hrs got the temp.down to around 25 degrees.
Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

Sprae
13th Jul 2012, 09:13 AM
Sorry to hear your losses. I'm surprise there were so many deaths.

What was the water parameters when you got back? Interested to see what killed them. Or if they starved to dead or heat shock?

RONY11
14th Jul 2012, 04:27 PM
There wasn't a drastic change in the water parameters which could have killed the shrimps coz all would've died including babies.
I had attached an automatic water compensator with 10 litres of RO.

I believe the deaths were due to high temperature. Mostly the adult and heavily berried towards birth hi-grade shrimps died.
Babies and juvenile shrimps survived.
I believe the pregnant snow white gave birth coz I can see hi grade babies.
May be she died due to stress from giving birth add to it high temperature of 27.8 degrees.

Anyways I still have hi-grade shrimps left so I'm not worried but it is saddening to return home to find a few dead.