PDA

View Full Version : Staghorn Algae in my Cherry Shrimp tank



YuccaPatrol
29th Mar 2006, 12:34 PM
I received my cherry shrimp 2 weeks ago and they have eaten every bit of brown and green algae in the tank. As soon as all of the very visible algae was gone, I began to notice staghorn algae growing. It does not seem that the shrimp are eating any of it at all.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of this type of algae without putting my shrimp in danger? I actually don't mind most kinds of algae, but I really don't like this stuff.

I am hoping that it is just a temporary situation and that my plants will soon begin to out-compete the staghorn algae.

Here is a photo showing the algae with my shrimp.

http://www.shrimpnow.com/mygallery/files/1/0/9/0/CherryYogasmall.jpg

gr81
29th Mar 2006, 02:30 PM
Mine also don't eat it. What helped me was lower light intensity.

Robert
29th Mar 2006, 06:42 PM
Hi,
if you find a safe and easy way to remove these algae, you will become a very rich man :D .

I had them for months in my tank and found no way to get rid of them. But when I changed my DIY CO2 to pressurized CO2 and the CO2 supply was more stable, the algae almost disappeared. The lower pH and higher CO2 amount seems to help a lot. The plants are stronger now and grow better and faster and so the algae have no chance anymore. On the gravel and on driftwood a few of these algae are left but I can remove them by hand and they seem to come back only very slowly.

BTW, try to avoid any sunlight. When my tank got some sunlight in autumn, the algae population exploded. It took me months to get rid of them again.

regards
Robert

turtles808
17th Aug 2007, 03:25 PM
I have this algae in my CRS tank with pressurized CO2 going about 1-2 bubbles a minute. Lights on 12 hours at about 3 watts per gallon.
I can't seem to get rid of this. At first it was easy to just pick and remove, but after I trimmed my moss, it went wild. Covering the edges of most of my leaves and grass.
My oto's and snails don't eat this either.

Anyone figure out how to get rid of this with out killing the inverts?

soulmanure
17th Aug 2007, 11:40 PM
I have that stuff too, though it's only in small amounts. Maybe reducing lighting down to 8 or 9 hours might help--if it goes away, then you can slowly increase the lighting until you reach a good balance.

turtles808
18th Aug 2007, 05:18 AM
So I'm guessing that there is nothing that will eat this stuff? I was hoping that the Amano would take care of it.

soulmanure
18th Aug 2007, 05:45 AM
If you are planning on breeding, Amano shrimp might be dangerous tank mates given that they get to be relatively large and are fairly active. I.e., they might snack on baby crs's.

turtles808
18th Aug 2007, 09:42 AM
Didn't know that, thanks. I thought the Amano were pure herbivores.

soulmanure
18th Aug 2007, 09:50 AM
They are definitely a great shrimp for eating algae, but mine always love it when they happen to get some frozen shrimp and blood worms.

maestro
18th Aug 2007, 03:42 PM
Can I offer a few suggestions that has worked for me? While there are many factors that encourage the growth of problematic undesireable algae, some of the more common ones occur from indulging in over-feeding, over-fertilizing on slower growing plants (or not enough plants to uptake the excess nutrients), the introduction of excess nutrients (silicates, phosphates,etc.) from the local municipal water system, and improper lighting Solution: Clean up your water...change 1/3 to 1/2 of your water, and refill/top off with R.O. or Purified water, utilize a PolyFilter (Poly Bio-Marine) to remove dissolved organics and other pollutants. Physically remove as much of the undesireable algaes, then introduce "faster" growing plants like anarchis, water sprite, etc., which can be replaced with more desireable plants once problem algaes have diminished. Resist the temptation to overfeed! Incorporate "Plant Friendly" CF lights in appropriate spectrums (5500k-6700k), and in recommended lumens, wattages for your tank size. Utilizing recomended dosages of Flourish "Excel" in (stocked) tanks, and up to double dosages in (unstocked) tanks has rid various problem algaes in my tanks. Good luck!

turtles808
27th Aug 2007, 08:03 AM
Thank you for the help. I did a 1/3 water change, added "excel" in x3 dose for getting rid of algae and after a couple of days, 95% of the algae is gone. Only casualty was one of my oto. Hopefully I can keep it away now.