PDA

View Full Version : Shrimps with OTOs? how about it?

Newcastle
31st Mar 2005, 08:02 AM
read discussion on shrimps with fish as not being advisable.

I had entertain the thought of putting Cherry Shrimp with either
1) OTOs (to suck up the algae on the wall)

2) Boraras Maculatas (to eat mosquito larva)

is it ok?

damnit
31st Mar 2005, 08:28 AM
Otos are perfect tank mates for shrimps :) :) As for boraras malculatus, they should do well too since they are very tiny and should not pose much danger to the shrimps. However, shrimps might not like fish peeping at them doing *ahem* the do :p :p

simcb
31st Mar 2005, 09:02 AM
Maybe can try boraras merah, I found one shop that sells them..... this species largest size is 2cm...smaller than boraras malculatus which is 2.5cm. However i am still wary about them, as fishes will eat anything that fits in their mouth therefore they might snack on the shrimplets.

One bad experience is:

My guppies fry which i used as bug/worms control........ previous attempted to nibble one of my 1-2 week old cherry shrimplet in my face and its only abt 1cm big almost the same size as the shrimplet.

Maybe if well fed they wont attack the shrimps.
Tell us if you are successful using the boraras species(100% shrimp friendly?).

Many thanks!!!

jojoecute
31st Mar 2005, 09:04 AM
I do keep otos with my shrimp, it rather active and found that my shrimps very stress....

So i change it to so call china sucker fish...
Slow movement sucker fish... My shrimps feel better with it..

simcb
31st Mar 2005, 09:07 AM
I do keep otos with my shrimp, it rather active and found that my shrimps very stress....

So i change it to so call china sucker fish...
Slow movement sucker fish... My shrimps feel better with it..

Hi jojocute,

Effective algae eater?? Keep us updated if it eats baby shrimplets.....as i know most sucker fishes eats anything..... what its max size?

jojoecute
31st Mar 2005, 09:33 AM
IMO...
It better then Otos, so far always suck on glass had never landed on the floor.. Otos will share algae food with shrimp which i don't like...

I don't think this china sucker eats shrimp...

Hi jojocute,

Effective algae eater?? Keep us updated if it eats baby shrimplets.....as i know most sucker fishes eats anything..... what its max size?

simcb
31st Mar 2005, 09:36 AM
IMO...
It better then Otos, so far always suck on glass had never landed on the floor.. Otos will share algae food with shrimp which i don't like...

I don't think this china sucker eats shrimp...

Hi jojocute,

I found some info on this fish, nicknamed chinese plecs which belongs to the

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/show_article.php?article_id=142

Robert
31st Mar 2005, 08:33 PM
Hi,
I kept Otos (Ototinclus and Hisontus species) in the past with shrimps and keep the Hisonotus at the moment also with shrimps without a problem. In my breeding tanks I keep only shrimps without Otos because the Otos would starve to death because of the lack of algae.

But in normal show tanks they are good tank mates. These catfishes prefer to looks for their food on smooth surfaces like glass or bigger leaves. They are much more effective in cleaning algaes than shrimps and in combination with shrimps they are a good help in prefenting your tank for algae. The shrimps look for food more in the mosses, riccia or other rough surfaces in my experience. So Otos and shrimps look for food in diffrent places and that should be no problem for neither species. You can feed the shrimps with tabletts for plecos or algae waffers if you think they need more food.

I don't know for sure if Otos or similar catfishes eat shrimplets. It could be possible but I never made this experience myself. Junvile and adult shrimps should be too big for them to eat.

regards

Robert

dkk08
31st Mar 2005, 11:09 PM
Yo Joe, that's a Hillstream Loach, there's 2 or 3 other similar sp. There's also a Saddleback Loach which looks like this but its body is longer instead of circular

http://www.loaches.com/species_images/homaloptera_orthogoniata_01_large.jpg

Walter
1st Apr 2005, 07:33 PM
Yo Joe, that's a Hillstream Loach, there's 2 or 3 other similar sp. There's also a Saddleback Loach which looks like this but its body is longer instead of circular

http://www.loaches.com/species_images/homaloptera_orthogoniata_01_large.jpg

I think this loach might attack shrimps when hungry...

dkk08
1st Apr 2005, 11:01 PM
I bought another type of hillstream loach longish type but not the one I posted, from PolyArt Labeled as new sucker fish for only $2 very nice, u guys go check it out :p

Walter
2nd Apr 2005, 11:47 AM
so do they attack shrimps? maybe should share your observations with us because i heard many say almost all plecos and loaches attack shrimps :neutral:

dkk08
2nd Apr 2005, 08:30 PM
so do they attack shrimps? maybe should share your observations with us because i heard many say almost all plecos and loaches attack shrimps :neutral:

oh no they do not attack shrimps as they're algae eaters, they're called Pipa by LFS, but real name is Hill Stream Loach

http://www.loaches.com/species_images/gastromyzon_punctulatus_10_large.jpg

Walter
2nd Apr 2005, 08:31 PM
oh no they do not attack shrimps as they're algae eaters, they're called Pipa by LFS, but real name is Hill Stream Loach

http://www.loaches.com/species_images/gastromyzon_punctulatus_10_large.jpg

hey this looks really nicer then normal hillstreams i see in lfs, where did you get it? :D

dkk08
2nd Apr 2005, 08:36 PM
hey this looks really nicer then normal hillstreams i see in lfs, where did you get it? :D

They're actually normal ones I got from n NA, but of coz comes in packs of 5 or 6pc so cannot choose, but there's actually the stripes n spotted ones, there's another faded whitish type (I din get coz I thot they were sick but turn out to be otherwise)

Walter
2nd Apr 2005, 08:47 PM
i see... i didnt notice there were dots type.. usually only see stripes type... :)

simcb
2nd Apr 2005, 09:17 PM
read discussion on shrimps with fish as not being advisable.

I had entertain the thought of putting Cherry Shrimp with either
1) OTOs (to suck up the algae on the wall)

2) Boraras Maculatas (to eat mosquito larva)

is it ok?

I tried 3 boraras brigitta(very nice colors) into my cherry shrimp tank which had lots of new born fries......they are 100% shrimp friendly ....they simply ignore the new born shrimplets and swim pass them....... however they will attack those white free swimming wiggly worms which appears ocassionally and anyway micro bugs swarming around.

A word of caution:
Just dont put too many fishes......a hungry fish might take a bite at anything. Feed it if neccesary...dont over feed.

dkk08
2nd Apr 2005, 09:29 PM
I tried 3 boraras brigitta(very nice colors) into my cherry shrimp tank which had lots of new born fries......they are 100% shrimp friendly ....they simply ignore the new born shrimplets and swim pass them....... however they will attack those white free swimming wiggly worms which appears ocassionally and anyway micro bugs swarming around.

A word of caution:
Just dont put too many fishes......a hungry fish might take a bite at anything. Feed it if neccesary...dont over feed.

Hi simcb, I agree 100% with ya... boraras family are totally shrimp frendly, I've Boraras briggitae, boraras merah & boraras uro in my shrimp tank, n yes they do eat the free swimming worms... u can try pygmy/dwarf corydoras too, my c.pygmaeus & c.habrosus also shrimp frendly, best thing is all the fishes shoals hehe cute :p

dkk08
2nd Apr 2005, 09:30 PM
i see... i didnt notice there were dots type.. usually only see stripes type... :)

izzit? I usually see the spotted types but not the stripe types... weird...

Walter
2nd Apr 2005, 09:43 PM
hmm also i always see those brown brown colour types, yours contrast like very nice..

anyway do dawrf cories eat micro bugs in the tank? thinking of adding one... cause cories are really friendly but will my shrimsp get stressed? cories move about alot...

dkk08
2nd Apr 2005, 11:19 PM
hmm also i always see those brown brown colour types, yours contrast like very nice..

anyway do dawrf cories eat micro bugs in the tank? thinking of adding one... cause cories are really friendly but will my shrimsp get stressed? cories move about alot...

mine? that pic is not mine, its from another website loachonline.com
Mine does looks like that thought
Dwarf cories or better known as Pygmy Cories are good with shrimps, they should eat micro bugs, but I think Boraras merah or uro or briggitae are good at eating those micro bugs and worms

Walter
2nd Apr 2005, 11:55 PM
mine? that pic is not mine, its from another website loachonline.com
Mine does looks like that thought
Dwarf cories or better known as Pygmy Cories are good with shrimps, they should eat micro bugs, but I think Boraras merah or uro or briggitae are good at eating those micro bugs and worms
any pictures of Boraras merah ?

dkk08
3rd Apr 2005, 03:31 AM
best I can do is this

http://www.fishbase.org/NomenClature/ScientificNameSearchList.cfm?Crit1_FieldName=SYNON YMS.SynGenus&Crit1_FieldType=CHAR&Crit1_Operator=EQUAL&Crit1_Value=boraras&Crit2_FieldName=SYNONYMS.SynSpecies&Crit2_FieldType=CHAR&Crit2_Operator=contains&Crit2_Value=&group=summary&backstep=-2

u can see all 5 diff types of boraras (except the micros, think too small n fast to take pic) ;)

simcb
3rd Apr 2005, 04:48 PM
The broraras keep their territory close to the water surface.... and their distance from shrimp that i like.

Walter
3rd Apr 2005, 05:56 PM
best I can do is this

http://www.fishbase.org/NomenClature/ScientificNameSearchList.cfm?Crit1_FieldName=SYNON YMS.SynGenus&Crit1_FieldType=CHAR&Crit1_Operator=EQUAL&Crit1_Value=boraras&Crit2_FieldName=SYNONYMS.SynSpecies&Crit2_FieldType=CHAR&Crit2_Operator=contains&Crit2_Value=&group=summary&backstep=-2

u can see all 5 diff types of boraras (except the micros, think too small n fast to take pic) ;)

i see... so its more of the tetra kind...? thanks for the link :)

dkk08
3rd Apr 2005, 11:15 PM
i see... so its more of the tetra kind...? thanks for the link :)

oh no they're not related to tetra at all, tetras tend to be more aggressive...

Walter
4th Apr 2005, 02:08 AM
oh no they're not related to tetra at all, tetras tend to be more aggressive...

oh i see.. hahha thanks for enlightening... they look really like tetra though :p

Newcastle
11th Apr 2005, 07:15 PM
ok...

i had intro 2 otos to my shrimp tank....
they are superb at clearing the algae on the tanks!!

totally wipe clean.

janazr
16th Apr 2005, 01:47 PM
I have Otos in my shrimp tank since I had start it, so far nice
room mates and hardworking janitors too.

fatboy
22nd Apr 2005, 09:54 PM
If you keep otos you should add extra food for them in case the natural algae isn't enough. A piece of cucumber or some zuchini (also called courgettes) are foods most otos enjoy. Lettuce is good too but much messier. It quickly falls apart and strands float away.

Otos will eat bloodworm and other meaty foods, including flake foods. They can be good scavangers for uneaten food. They eat a lot and they poo a lot. :)

I've kept otos with yamato shrimp and had no problems. The shrimp walk across the otos when they're both looking for food and the otos never seem to care.

scarlett
25th Apr 2005, 08:24 AM
Hi guys, anyone of you ever observed your oto whacking those irksome planaria in your tank? Well, saw my oto sucking in a couple of those crawlies when they are cleaning the glass surface!! :shocked: :shocked:

simcb
25th Apr 2005, 09:29 AM
Hi guys, anyone of you ever observed your oto whacking those irksome planaria in your tank? Well, saw my oto sucking in a couple of those crawlies when they are cleaning the glass surface!! :shocked: :shocked:

Nope so far mine don't. How did you train them to eat planaria? I thought they are vegetarians.

Class 66
25th Apr 2005, 10:48 AM
Sorry guys ! this might out of topic.....any of you guys have the pic or website on 'Oto'. I don't know how an oto look like.......... :embarasse

silane
25th Apr 2005, 10:57 AM
Sorry guys ! this might out of topic.....any of you guys have the pic or website on 'Oto'. I don't know how an oto look like.......... :embarasse

Do a search in Gallery by keywords oto, there are pictures in there. :)

scarlett
25th Apr 2005, 11:41 AM
Nope so far mine don't. How did you train them to eat planaria? I thought they are vegetarians.

Hi there, din really train him/her to whack the planaria.....btw, don't think oto are totally vegetarian cuz mine does whacked the shrimps pellet too!! :2thumbsup :2thumbsup

jojoecute
25th Apr 2005, 12:14 PM
Here is the picture of Oto.

Class 66
25th Apr 2005, 12:52 PM
Here is the picture of Oto.

Thanks for the pic, is oto a kind of sucker fish, those that what the local term as
'eat shit fish' ? Or what is the Lfs name (common name)........if I ask those uncle for oto fish, do they know?...... :)

fatboy
25th Apr 2005, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the pic, is oto a kind of sucker fish, those that what the local term as
'eat shit fish' ? Or what is the Lfs name (common name)........if I ask those uncle for oto fish, do they know?...... :)

Over here they are called Dwarf Suckermouth Catfish. The proper name is Otocinclus affinus. There's other types of otocynclus catfish, like the zebra oto, but the affinus is by far the most common.

Simcb - they should eat planaria by choice. They're omnivores and happily eat any meaty foods they find. They come from the family Loricariidae (armoured suckermouth catfish) and I think all members like meat.

They eat algae but should be given meat and especially vegetables. Feeding a pinch of flake food a few times a week is a good idea as it gives them both meat and vegetable matter. Frozen bloodworms will drive them mad with greed. They like vegetables like lettuce, open peas and spinach. Not all eat the same type and you might have to try a few types before you find the one they like.

janazr
25th Apr 2005, 09:41 PM
Another picture of Otocinclus aka "Otos" .
This one here is a Zebra Otos .

Class 66
26th Apr 2005, 08:24 AM
Hi fatboy & janazr,

thanks for the infomation!!

simcb
26th Apr 2005, 09:55 AM
Over here they are called Dwarf Suckermouth Catfish. The proper name is Otocinclus affinus. There's other types of otocynclus catfish, like the zebra oto, but the affinus is by far the most common.

Simcb - they should eat planaria by choice. They're omnivores and happily eat any meaty foods they find. They come from the family Loricariidae (armoured suckermouth catfish) and I think all members like meat.

They eat algae but should be given meat and especially vegetables. Feeding a pinch of flake food a few times a week is a good idea as it gives them both meat and vegetable matter. Frozen bloodworms will drive them mad with greed. They like vegetables like lettuce, open peas and spinach. Not all eat the same type and you might have to try a few types before you find the one they like.

Hi fatboy,

I apparently have a tank infest with planarias however i don't see my Oto going for them even though its right in front of it. Maybe my Oto is "vegi" trained :) . If they have a taste for meat....I am expect a decline in shrimp population soon :( . So far i have never heard of any fishes that can control planarias at the moment even my guppies are afraid of the planarias :shocked: .

PS: forgot to mention some of the planaria are almost 1cm big.

gigahertz
26th Apr 2005, 11:19 AM
Take the shrimps out and put in a couple of loaches. They will munch on the worms for you :)

simcb
26th Apr 2005, 11:24 AM
Take the shrimps out and put in a couple of loaches. They will munch on the worms for you :)

Thanks for the advise.
There are many baby shrimps in there so i might want to test something else.
I got many cherries and no hospital tank suitable to store them temporary. My new tanks are cycling for other shrimps so dont want to mix them. I will consider that thanks.

jemarcus
1st Mar 2006, 10:44 AM
hope this thread is not too old,

anyway some observations in my tank,

my oto ignored planaria, bumped shrimps on many occasion, or tried to attack.

hillstream loach ignored a planaria directly in front of it.

my oto is very active and very often swims in the tank like a normal fish. am going to remove it soon. if your oto is very active, i'll recommend u to remove it too.
all these sudden movements causes stress for your shrimps.

shihyong
1st Mar 2006, 11:24 PM
Otos or puffer will ignore planaria. I guess it is due to it is sticky. I saw before puffer trying planaria and the dead body of planaria stuck on their mouth.

Vermex could be a solution for planaria. I have tried in my cherry tank, so far no casualty.