PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp ID help...dark reddish/purple RCS?

kalnight
14th May 2012, 05:52 AM
I just got a batch of Taiwan Fire Painted shrimp in and I have two that are quite odd looking. One is HUGE, and kind of an amethyst purple color. I have another the same color but smaller. The males are a similar color but have see through areas on them. This biggest one has the body shape of a female to me (I'm not that knowledgeable though!) but the color is throwing me off. Also has green eyes.

Here are some photos with a regular Taiwan Fire painted male, female and then this purple guy/gal in the center. Is it just a variation? I'm pretty new to shrimp. I have regular red cherry shrimp and this batch, my regular reds look like ghost shrimp compared to these new ones! I love them! But the purplish hue is strange to me. So is it a variation and is it male or female?

Jacks0nxD
14th May 2012, 06:52 AM
Had those to in my last tank! A friend told me they where just cherry shrimps, only a bit unusual on color... kind of a mutant if you like :P

Fento
14th May 2012, 11:05 PM
I've some like them in my tanks .In my opinion depending on it's inner colour (bluish or yellowish) normal red cherry might look bright red or dark red. I guessw this way some orange and purpe strains showed up after selective breeding.

kalnight
15th May 2012, 05:02 AM
Had those to in my last tank! A friend told me they where just cherry shrimps, only a bit unusual on color... kind of a mutant if you like :P

They're ALL just cherry shrimps in my tank;) I just wasn't sure if this was a particular color variation (with a name, like the black cherry) or something strange or?

Thanks to the both of you for feedback. Still curious on the sex of the shrimp.

nosebleed
17th May 2012, 03:04 AM
Yea they are just regular red cherry because i used to have a couple of them before they started dying one by one but I think it was my fault initially. Like Jacks said they are like what you call mutants of some sort.

wayne6442
20th May 2012, 11:45 AM
I have some of this colour myself, I am using them as base stock to breed back to my fire reds to help deepen the colour strain. It looks like you have a male and female in the pics. i would seperate them and see if you can deepen their colour, you never know they might throw some "Blacks" always an interesting project
Regards

kalnight
21st May 2012, 02:14 AM
That's more along the lines of what I was wondering, thank you! I'm hoping to get a new tank in a few weeks and was curious if these would be worth separating out. Heck, worth a shot. This big dude also has a wide white (more like a pale gray) stripe down the center of his back. A couple of the red females have started getting this too. So far I have found two of the dark purple ones of undetermined sex. They are so, so solid, and they have the curve to the underbelly they really look female to my very uneducated eyes. That and the fact they are huge. I can see the appendages on the males of my crappy, clearer reds, but haven't been able to get a good look at these to see if they are male or female yet. Their shells come down so low, it's a bit difficult to see. Might try to see what I can come up with if I can get them separated. Might be a bit exciting anyway:)

wayne6442
21st May 2012, 12:09 PM
Hi Mate,
Yes keep going and seperate any unusual colour morphs you have. Yellow ,blue, black,brown and I hear orange are all colour variations of the humble red cherry shrimp and something to try for. Here in Australia we don't have the amount of cherry shrimp and the expertise in breeding them as you guys but we have been able to get yellow and blue from our stock leagally(it's illegal to bring these shrimp into Australia) Personally my holy grail is to breed a Black line, so far I have a couple of browns, some really nice deep fire reds with red legs and some other nice ones with a bluish tinge that I will be working on to try for blues. I know that all this work has been done in Asia and the States but as we are so isolated we have to try experimenting by ourselves. Any way mate keep going and stay in touch I would be interested to hear of your successes.
Regards
Wayne:rolleyes: