PDA

View Full Version : My first baby rcs shrimp!

patpat
12th May 2012, 01:30 PM
It may seem silly to the seasoned shrimp keepers, but I was very excited to see my first new baby shrimp in my new tank. It is remarkable how tiny they are. They are basic red cherry shrimp, but it is still very exciting to me to have learned about this great hobby and see the fruits of my labor.

Plecofool
12th May 2012, 02:16 PM
Seeing baby shrimps never gets old.

Just a great sence of achievment.

You'd be amazed at how fast they grow, then pretty soon your gunna have tons.

greentea
16th May 2012, 04:46 AM
Congrats! I had a girl drop her baby shrimp over the weekend :D

patpat
18th May 2012, 01:08 AM
Boy - you were right. I found another new batch of them this morning. The previous ones are growing well and have good color already. And I can see at least two more berried females in that red cherry tank, with two berried in my fire red tank.

Jacks0nxD
18th May 2012, 01:27 AM
Congratulations! Always nice to see those as a baby ^^

patpat
23rd May 2012, 11:42 AM
What is a normal survival rate for new baby RCS's like this? It seems like 10-15% of them are 'gone' after a week or so. The others are visible, active, and feeding. I am chasing an issue with slowly increasing PH in my tanks (my fish tanks as well as shrimp tanks) that might be an issue.

My treated tap after sitting for a day or so is 7.4, but after a week in all tanks, it starts creeping toward 8. They all have different substrate and hardscape items. I've tried pulling out hardscape items to a container and testing after a day to see if that item is raising the PH, but so far nothing jumps out. So I'm not sure what is causing the slow PH rise.

adjieda
23rd May 2012, 12:42 PM
Congratulations, you must be very proud..

Cheers