PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and a question about clear belt on Red Cherry Shrimp?

YuccaPatrol
19th Mar 2006, 07:11 AM
Hi, this is my first post. I received my first Cherry Shrimp this past week, and am very excited about my new shrimp tank. I have been reading everything I can about these shrimp and hope that I will have a nice breeding colony going soon. Right now, I have about 40 shrimp ranging from 2-3mm babies up to a pregnant female.

I wanted to show my shrimp tank and get some feedback on it.

It is a 15 gallon with an eclipse hood/filter/light. I have the filter intake covered with a fine sponge pre-filter.

Lighting: 32W Compact Fluorescent upgrade
Substrate: Fluorite

Other tank inhabitants: Malaysian Trumpet Snails and Red Ramshorn snails.

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/gallery/data/979/15galPlanted_003.jpg

I have a few older shrimp that have a clear "belt". Is this normal or desirable/undesirable?

Here is a photo of the "belt" seen on some of the shrimp.

http://www.shrimpnow.com/mygallery/files/1/0/9/0/cherryshrimp018small.jpg

YuccaPatrol
20th Mar 2006, 10:17 AM
I woke up this morning and several shrimp had molted overnight. None of the ones with "belts" still had them, so I am guessing that these belts show right before molting.

Sorry, I am completely new at this, so I don't know what to expect.

gr81
20th Mar 2006, 02:47 PM
I woke up this morning and several shrimp had molted overnight. None of the ones with "belts" still had them, so I am guessing that these belts show right before molting.

Sorry, I am completely new at this, so I don't know what to expect.
Yes, they should have "belt" before moulting. I watched it on mine several times. As the shell becomes small for shrimp, "light belts" can be seen.

YuccaPatrol
20th Mar 2006, 08:28 PM
Thank you, gr81

I am learning a lot about these great shrimp right now. I am trying to figure out what is best to feed them because there is so much conflicting information.

Some people say that they do not need high protein food like fish food and algae wafers. Other people feed them nothing but fish food. Some other people say they don't feed them much at all and just let them eat algae.

Yesterday I took an algae covered rock from another aquarium and placed it in my shrimp tank. Many shrimp came to eat the algae, and today the rock is completely clean. They seemed to like the algae more than the foods I have given them. I hope that my shrimp tank has enough algae for them to eat, but I will keep on giving them algae from my other aquariums because I think that is the most natural food I can give them.

YuccaPatrol
24th Mar 2006, 03:29 AM
I removed all of the Malaysian Trumpet snails and put them in another tank because I like the red ramshorn snails so much.

Here is a photo I took today that I think is pretty neat!
http://www.shrimpnow.com/mygallery/files/1/0/9/0/BestCherry2.jpg

gr81
24th Mar 2006, 04:57 AM
My CRS learned themself to kill/eat this snails. They are killing snails up to 0.5cm of shell size.

YuccaPatrol
24th Mar 2006, 05:30 AM
My CRS learned themself to kill/eat this snails. They are killing snails up to 0.5cm of shell size.

Wow! I had no idea they could kill snails!

Right now my shrimp are just happy to share an algae wafer with the snails :D

laury11
23rd Apr 2006, 12:30 AM
In hong kong, we feed them with english spinach, you just need to wash it properly, and put it in boiling water to cook it, then dry it and freeze it in small pieces
my cherry shrimps are all red and pretty ^^