PDA

View Full Version : Mix of shrimps

Claudio Cabral
15th Mar 2006, 03:10 AM
Hello! I have a tank with 80 liters, and I only have red cherry shrimp. I'm thinking put anothers species, like CRS, bumble bee, snow ball and green shrimp. have any problem this mix of shrimps, like cross breed or anothers? thanks for help

retardo
15th Mar 2006, 03:24 AM
Bee, bumblebee, CRS, Tiger are all same family. Do not mix. Will crossbreed.

Cherry and Snowball are same family. Also do not mix as they will crossbreed.

DADude
15th Mar 2006, 03:28 AM
Fire and ice would be cool lol Cherry shrimp with snowballs :cool:

Claudio Cabral
15th Mar 2006, 03:44 AM
maybe become a pink shrimp! lol anyone can tell me some species (who breed in captivity) to mix with cherrys?

DADude
15th Mar 2006, 03:53 AM
Caridina cf babaulti green neon shrimp, all the ones you mention above exept the snowballs, but dont put them all in the same tank offcourse :) you dont want tigers and bublebees and all the other crossbreeders mentioned above :)

Caridina cf baboultie green neon shrimp
all in the lower order form and soo on.........

Claudio Cabral
15th Mar 2006, 04:10 AM
when I said "who breed in captivity", I mean "High order form". I think I can't mix green shrimp because they need alkaline water and all other do best in acidic water! I think :embarasse

gr81
15th Mar 2006, 04:34 AM
Caridina cf baboultie green neon shrimp, all the ones you mention above exept the snowballs, but dont put them all in the same tank offcourse :) you dont want tigers and bublebees and all the other crossbreeders mentioned above :)

Caridina cf baboultie green neon shrimp
all in the lower order form and soo on.........
DADude all of mentioned shrimps are high order, no larval stage.
"baboultie" are babaulti ... a bit misspelling:D

Best Regards

DADude
15th Mar 2006, 04:44 AM
Fixed it, sorry.
I know, i just ment that low order shrimps wont mix with high orders :)

Claudio Cabral
15th Mar 2006, 05:13 AM
are sure the red cherry cross with snowball? i've just seen one table that won't say that! I canīt send the url in private msg, I don't have enough privileges! thanks

retardo
15th Mar 2006, 05:57 AM
Both Cherries and Snowballs are part of the Neocaridina family. There's a possibility of cross-breeds.

One of my friends kept both cherries and snowballs in the same tank. He saw what looked like a snowball with red spotting. It was too white to be a cherry and had one too many spots to be a snowball.

Also, please bear in mind that the shrimp hobby is still in its infancy. There will no tell-all charts or documents that will tell us whether one shrimp species will cross breed with another. Some species we know for sure (e.g., Amanos and cherries). Others will only be discovered through experience. It is all a learning process for us all.

Claudio Cabral
15th Mar 2006, 02:19 PM
Thanks for your comment Retardo! Do you know if neocaridina palmata cross with another shrimp? I don't want have a tank only with cherry and CRS... :(

Claudio Cabral
16th Mar 2006, 03:43 AM
blue shrimp will cross with red cherry or crs? thanks for help

DADude
16th Mar 2006, 12:38 PM
Blue shrimp can be many species and from different genuses if you mention specie it would help alot :)

gr81
16th Mar 2006, 02:20 PM
Thanks for your comment Retardo! Do you know if neocaridina palmata cross with another shrimp? I don't want have a tank only with cherry and CRS... :(
Palmatas could crossbreed with Cherries. Both neocaridina genus. But I didn't try, because don't want hybrids.

milalic
16th Mar 2006, 11:39 PM
I keep the following shrimp together and have not seen any evidence that suggest any crossbreeding:

1. Bumble bee
2. Tiger
3. Cherry
4. CRS/Diamond
5. Snowballs

Some of the crossbreed information is speculative. I have not seen anyone keep a female of one species with a male of another and see if they will interbreed and provide data, pictures and/or information of this.

Cheers,
Pedro

Robert
17th Mar 2006, 04:46 AM
Hi Pedro,
shrimps can cross-breed but it doesn't mean that they do it all the time. I kept about 15 species of shrimps yet and never got a single hybrid, although I kept sometimes only one gender of one species and the other gender of another species e.g. tiger and diamond shrimps. There was a chance of cross-breeding but it didn't happen. I don't know why they didn't breed.

A friend of mine kept tiger and wild diamond shrimps together and the first offspring he got were hybrids. Even months later he got much more hybrids than normal offspring of both species. I have no idea why he got so many hybrids.

These are just two examples of what could happen. You can have good luck like me and never see a hybrid in your tank or you can get nothing else. I would be careful and avoid situations which could lead to cross-breeding of different species.

regards
Robert