PDA

View Full Version : feeding

fishcrazee
14th Mar 2006, 12:38 PM
I was wondering how many times in a week people feed their shrimp. I feed them 2x a week, considering I have 7 red cherries.

gr81
14th Mar 2006, 03:56 PM
I was wondering how many times in a week people feed their shrimp. I feed them 2x a week, considering I have 7 red cherries.
I feed monday-friday, each day a bit. Feeding: artemia, Tetra TetraMin, Tetra WafelMix. I tried spinach, but afraid of pesticides, so stopped.
Have RCS,CRS here at work.
At home I have Caridina cf. babaulti and Neocaridina palmata. Not feeding them, they have hard life :)

GunmetalBlue
16th Mar 2006, 03:24 PM
Hi Fishcrazee, welcome to the forum. :)

I feed my shrimp every other day. Rotating between Hikari algae wafers, Hikari Crab Cuisine and regular flake food. I have some spinach in the freezer, but don't feed that very often. There's also PLENTY of algae in the tanks for their grazing pleasure ... :D

-GB

fishcrazee
17th Mar 2006, 01:51 PM
WOW it seems as if I maybe underfeeding them. I see you live in CA too. Just wondering, what kind of shrimp do you have? Where I live I can't find a single shrimp in stores besides ghost shrimp. I had a friend who sent me my CRS and I love them. I was hoping to get some red crystals one day but have trouble locating them. Even online I can't find them. Yea so I was just curious about the types of shrimp you have lol

naturalaquarium
18th Mar 2006, 05:29 AM
Hello,

I also feed mine on a daily basis. Whatever they don't fininish I pull it out. I feed them: spinach(organic Pesticide Free), algae wafers, flake food, and bloodworms(they always finish them ;) ). I change water every three days and they all seem happy. I found three bumble bee shrimps carrying eggs a week ago : ) , they must be happy ;).

Roberto

GunmetalBlue
23rd Mar 2006, 03:01 AM
WOW it seems as if I maybe underfeeding them. I see you live in CA too. Just wondering, what kind of shrimp do you have? Where I live I can't find a single shrimp in stores besides ghost shrimp. I had a friend who sent me my CRS and I love them. I was hoping to get some red crystals one day but have trouble locating them. Even online I can't find them. Yea so I was just curious about the types of shrimp you have lol

Just a friendly reminder:
CRS = Crystal Red shrimp
RCS = Red Cherry shrimp ;)

Two times a week isn't bad, especially if you have algae. It's one of those things that it really depends. For example, if you feed them often, especially in a smaller tank, you'll need to make sure you really keep up with those weekly water changes, as your water quality will falter (things like nitrate and phosphates will spike) and you'll inadvertently be feeding both the shrimp and all the creepy-crawlies that seem to love living in shrimp tanks :shifty: . But feeding more often does help them grow more quickly and reproduce more abundantly. You just have to find the right balance.

On the other hand, when I first got my Red Cherries, I only had 3 shrimp in a 10 gallon with plenty of algae - and they completely ignored all commercial food. But they successfully bred ... and now that I have a lot of RCS, they definitely look forward to my feeding them :happy2: .

As to types of shrimp, I haven't had very may kinds at all, just M. lanchesteri, Bamboo, RCS (Red Cherries) and Bumblebees. I'm mostly concentrating on the Bumblebees just now. Generally speaking, in So Cal, I've found that with a little digging you'll find Bamboo, Ghost Shrimp, Amano, RCS, Bumblebee, and Crystal Reds. The big chains usually only carry Bamboo and Ghost Shrimp. So contacting Mom & Pop type stores or other hobbyists should turn up some of the other shrimp. Online, you'll find many more that you can't find locally. If you aren't finding any shrimp, it might be that you just don't know where to look yet - but there are resources out there ;) . There's actually someone that lives very near you (I think in Rosemead) that sometimes sells Crystal Reds on Aquabid.

-GB