PDA

View Full Version : Tiger with eggs!! (pic)

TheTeh
14th Mar 2006, 06:47 AM
Just taken a pic of my tiger shrimp carrying eggs after at least 18 days since I have discovered the eggs:

http://www.theteh.com/aquarium/IMG_6345.jpg

I cannot tell if the eggs are developing or not. Would she carry eggs that are not ferterlised? What water conditions do babies need?

Any info would be greatly appreciated indeed!

GunmetalBlue
14th Mar 2006, 07:43 AM
Hi there and welcome to the forum TheTeh. :)

Yes, if she's been holding them that long, the eggs are definitely fertilized. I can even see the lighter and darker parts on the eggs, so they are developing.

As to water conditions the babies need, everything's the exact same thing as the adults, even the food. So you don't need to do anything extra. Tigers prefer soft acidic water and you should be careful not to let the temps get too high.

There are some members here with Tigers - hopefully they can chime in with more info. Don't forget to update us when those shrimplets hatch. :2thumbsup

-GB

retardo
14th Mar 2006, 10:15 AM
Awesome!!! If it's been 18 days, the eggs are definitely fertilized and you are getting very close to the birthing of these beauties. :cool: The babies will hatch without any markings and are approximately 2-3mm in size. It will be a few weeks before they start exhibiting their stripes.

TheTeh
14th Mar 2006, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the info indeed. The eggs look very dark and I cannot see any eyes yet! Would the shrimplets have the same dark brown colour?

retardo
15th Mar 2006, 12:55 AM
Brown is the color of the egg sack. The eggs don't look all that dark to me. They look light brown and that is an indication that they are ready to hatch as well. Hatched shrimp will be clear.

TheTeh
15th Mar 2006, 04:58 AM
Thanks for the info indeed! I can;t wait to see the shrimplets!

ILIKESHRIMPS
13th Jul 2006, 08:13 PM
How is it? Any shrimplets yet? That's a very nice picture you got there. :cool: