PDA

View Full Version : Blue pearl hybrids?

onefang
9th Mar 2012, 01:07 AM
A while back I got a batch of what was supposed to be Blue Pearls from an auction site. When I got them they were all quite small and hadn't really fully colored up. After a few molts I started noticing some interesting traits in many of them which leads me to thing that these have probably all been hybridized.

Firstly, here are two of several that appear almost a honey color. I am thinking that these are probably a result of a Pearl/Yellow cross - Neither really show any blue at all:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-XdcYipw9Ffg/T1jyMiECaPI/AAAAAAAAHb0/p5fLOi9qrdM/s800/DSC00223.JPG

I've also noticed that several of the Blue Pearls show red pigmentation around their tail areas.. perhaps some RCS traits?https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4tUkNsu4bUs/T1at2Ng68OI/AAAAAAAAHa4/jmqiCZmVPK4/s800/DSC00212.JPG

Thoughts?

imke_j
9th Mar 2012, 12:06 PM
I don't think that you have some hybrids here, as BP often show red markings on the top coloration layer. As White Pearl (Snowball) and Blue Pearl have been selectively bred from the same wild form, I guess this 'bright honey tint' is a variation of color only. One can only say that good BP should show more blue.

Drakarian
9th Mar 2012, 01:18 PM
Hello, I kept a single blue rili that came with babies. This batch started out with all red offspring that changed colour to blue, with some keeping a few red markings. The second batch was with a red cherry male, which gave offspring that had white portions on the body, like a normal rili. The third cross was with an orange male which resulted in a green-yellow-orange batch of offspring that seems a darker colour of what you showed in the first picture. Hope this helps.

Jon412
9th Mar 2012, 08:46 PM
Hello, I kept a single blue rili that came with babies. This batch started out with all red offspring that changed colour to blue, with some keeping a few red markings. The second batch was with a red cherry male, which gave offspring that had white portions on the body, like a normal rili. The third cross was with an orange male which resulted in a green-yellow-orange batch of offspring that seems a darker colour of what you showed in the first picture. Hope this helps.

hi.... Drakarian where did you buy ur blue rili? I been to many LFS but they onli have red

onefang
9th Mar 2012, 10:33 PM
I don't think that you have some hybrids here, as BP often show red markings on the top coloration layer. As White Pearl (Snowball) and Blue Pearl have been selectively bred from the same wild form, I guess this 'bright honey tint' is a variation of color only. One can only say that good BP should show more blue.

Interesting. Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen any snowball or other pearls close enough to see the red or other markings. I guess I assumed that the wild form was closer to their bred form, than say Neocaridina heteropoda.

Drakarian
10th Mar 2012, 01:17 AM
Anyway not that I'm running away from providing evidence, but my tank just crashed omg. Just saying.

Pm me when you can jon.