PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Shrimp (mistake): Cherries and Ghosts

esarkipato
6th Mar 2006, 07:42 PM
I've had cherries and ghost/glass shrimp together in a planted 10 gallon with sand bottom for about 3 months. They seemed to get along okay, and I got a pregnant cherry a few weeks ago so I really thought they would be fine together.

Unfortunately, yesterday as I was leaving the house I saw a ghost picking at my pregnant momma cherry, apparently ravaging the eggs! In disgust, I quickly removed all ghost shrimp.

Just a warning for those of you who are mixing these two species!

Regards,

acbaldwin
7th Mar 2006, 12:31 AM
:shocked:
...Now I feel guilty for telling you that they would be fine together! I wonder why they are exibiting that behavior? :huh:

esarkipato
7th Mar 2006, 01:43 AM
Yea, I dunno if they momma cherry died first and then the ghost saw a snacking opportunity, or if he played a part in her demise. I'm not willing to bet on either option . . .

acbaldwin
7th Mar 2006, 01:47 AM
Oh... I didn't know the momma was dead. I doubt a ghost could kill her, but I don't know. Hard to say for sure.

Beviking
7th Mar 2006, 03:08 AM
Shrimp will eat their own kind if it's already dead. That said, I personally woulnd't keep ghosts with cherrys. Oh, I already said that ;)

retardo
7th Mar 2006, 05:16 AM
More than likely the cherry was already dead before the ghostie decided the cherry was a snack. Ghosties are not all that aggressive, even though they are machrobrachium species. They are the least aggressive, evidenced by the small claws they possess.

esarkipato
7th Mar 2006, 08:58 PM
Any insights as to why my preggo cherry momma would have croaked? she was at least 2 weeks with eggs, I'm sure they were about to drop!

Beviking
7th Mar 2006, 09:23 PM
The only thing that comes to mind is cumulative metals? Or... :evilgrin: Ghost Shrimp :undecided :D

-Be

retardo
7th Mar 2006, 11:35 PM
old age? :huh:

esarkipato
8th Mar 2006, 12:27 AM
old age? :huh:
Nah, I've only had this batch for a month or two, they were very juvenille when I got them.

Interesting to point out the cumulative metals idea. It wouldn't be from the tapwater as I condition with Prime. It's not likely from fertlizers, I keep that to a minimum. BUT, I recently tied down a bunch of java fern and moss using this wire material. It's sheathed in rubber, but the inside is metal and it's exposed on the ends. There are probably about 8 ends exposed to the water.

Hopefully that's not leaching out any metals. I'll take a look when I get home to see if it's rusting or somehting.

Robert
8th Mar 2006, 01:27 AM
Hi,
these wires often consist of copper. If your wires are made of copper, they could cause your shrimp's death. Especially pregnant females are more sensitive than other specimen. In this case a few copper ions are definitely solved in the water, even if you use only a piece of wire.

Tie your java fern with nylon fishing line. Bright brown is often the best choice, you can hardly see it later on.

regards
Robert

retardo
8th Mar 2006, 01:45 AM
Is the metal inside the wire copper? Copper will definitely affect your shrimp.

esarkipato
8th Mar 2006, 08:10 PM
I am definitely suspicious of this wire, it could well be copper i guess. I was just hoping it wasn't. I usually use fishing line but that stuff is a PAIN!!!!!! It seriously takes me 5x longer to tie something on with fish line, and it never stays!

Guess I better rip out that wire and do a water change. Probably extra dosing of Prime, too.

Beviking
8th Mar 2006, 08:58 PM
A pair or two of needle nose plier or similar tools will help immensely when using fishing line! A quick search online for fishing knots may well show you some simple tricks to making it stay together too.

-Be

retardo
8th Mar 2006, 09:59 PM
Or go with cotton thread... Once attached, there's no need for fishing line or thread to hold it in place.