PDA

View Full Version : Help on ID of this Shrimp (Blue Pearl or Aura Blue)

recca
2nd Feb 2012, 10:24 AM
Hi,

Need some help to identify this shrimp. I was under the impression that Blue Pearls are really pale blue in colour but this one is very much darker blue. And it has the yellowish colour on the neck area that does not go away.5258

Navanod
2nd Feb 2012, 10:46 AM
I'm afraid we'll need a clearer image to be able to tell for sure.
From the profile of the body, my best guess is blue pearl.

imke_j
2nd Feb 2012, 11:51 AM
Agree with brother Navanod, but not 100% sure, as the image is blurred.

eviltrain
2nd Feb 2012, 01:02 PM
is this in your tank of blue pearls?

recca
2nd Feb 2012, 02:43 PM
when i bought it, it was not that blue. It was having a slightly stronger shade of blue. It got darker after keeping it. Even when i introduce a male Blue Pearl to it, as i was thinking it was probably female, they ignored each other. Thus, the above question arise. I have another Blue Pearl, and i think it is a female and its colour is really pale blue and quite big in size.

I will have to grab my camera for a better shot later. Took it real fast as this critter is quick to turn. perhaps both of them. will update this post with better pictures. :D

recca
2nd Feb 2012, 02:56 PM
is this in your tank of blue pearls?

I keep a few types of shrimps or rather variations. still trying to differentiate which are males & which are females.

Its an interesting challenge. Am still learning about it.:p

Navanod
2nd Feb 2012, 02:59 PM
Learning new things is what made hobbies fun. I too am still learning to tell male and female aura blues apart

silane
2nd Feb 2012, 04:58 PM
Base on egg saddler color, it is pearl blue

recca
2nd Feb 2012, 05:26 PM
Base on egg saddler color, it is pearl blue

Wow! Just by looking at the egg saddle, can tell the type of shrimps?
Cool!lol
If you say Egg Saddle, means its a female. How long do they keep their saddle, because this one kept it like for a very long time already. say 4months, but never got berried.

silane
2nd Feb 2012, 06:30 PM
Time does not matter, it is the shrimps need to mate. For shrimps to mate, the female has to molt first. And of course you need to have a male pearl blue (this one maybe just cherry blue, but named pearl blue in Singapore).

Deep6
4th Feb 2012, 04:00 PM
Paintless Blue Rili?
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g329/jiang604/IMG_0276.jpg
http://ebi-ken.blogspot.com/2011/11/blue-rili.html

recca
6th Feb 2012, 01:01 PM
Wow.. this a nice picture. thanks for sharing. :) Cool!

paco mora
7th Feb 2012, 02:21 AM
to me that the initial picture of a female, not to remove the yellow stain is that sometimes in winter tend to retain future eggs longer than normal, but also diffuse this picture, you see the pleodos very wide for a male very nice photo that sengunda jellis, have to be a teacher to take that photo, thanks for sharing

mjbn
13th Feb 2012, 06:19 PM
That's a pretty blue pearl:)

Igor
26th Feb 2012, 02:45 PM
Hi,

Please, help to identify this shrimps. Are they blue perls too?
I purchased these together as Neocaridina var Blue.

Navanod
26th Feb 2012, 07:08 PM
Oh? They appear to be ye olde generic "blue shrimp" sold at many places some years ago. They do not remain blue and do not breed true hence they are neither blue pearl nor aura blue.

Igor
26th Feb 2012, 07:42 PM
Many thanks!
And what will be their breed? Colourless? Are they crossed whith shrimps "neocaridina heteropoda"?

Navanod
27th Feb 2012, 07:50 AM
Many thanks!
And what will be their breed? Colourless? Are they crossed whith shrimps "neocaridina heteropoda"?

They can be green, blue, black or brown or mostly a combination mix. I'm still not sure what exactly their lineage is since I had not tried to breed them

Igor
28th Feb 2012, 12:34 AM
One of these shrimps (female) lives in a tank whith red cherries from January, 28th. And it has no caviar.
It is not blue now, but I has bought it with blue shrimps.

madness
28th Feb 2012, 03:38 AM
The 'blue' or 'blueberry neocaridina' is one or more type of shrimp that gets sold all over the place as a 'blue neo' but they do not breed blue or always stay blue.

They aren't even all the same species all of the time from what I gather so it is pretty unpredictable what they actually are.

Navanod
1st Mar 2012, 11:16 AM
Yes, the "wild cherries", "neon green cherries", "blue neo" and "malayan" shrimps sold in Singapore are such low value shrimps that no shops would be willing to waste time defining and separating them by actual species.
It's a mixed bag of surprises half the time.

Igor
3rd Mar 2012, 01:00 AM
Yes, my shrimps have been sent from Singapore with "wild cherries", "neon green cherries", and "malayan" shrimps.