PDA

View Full Version : shrimps keep dropping eggs

nlarry
27th Feb 2006, 07:07 PM
this is the second time i see shrimp eggs on Java Moss. I know this is not a good sign. The eggs suppose attach to mother shrimp until hatched. I am just wonderting what cause this happen? and what can I do to prevent this happen again? Pls help and Thanks!

BlueEL
27th Feb 2006, 07:51 PM
I could think of 2 reasons causing eggs to drop, stress due to bad quality water or there isnt a male. What kind of shrimp is it?

Santos_Esther_17
27th Feb 2006, 08:17 PM
Ya it is possible for the female shrimp to drop the eggs if there is no male

kensk
27th Feb 2006, 09:55 PM

Why must there be male around? Is it true?
I always isolate my pregnant CRS from the rest.

silane
27th Feb 2006, 11:53 PM

You mean unfertilised eggs?

nlarry
28th Feb 2006, 08:06 AM
I could think of 2 reasons causing eggs to drop, stress due to bad quality water or there isnt a male. What kind of shrimp is it?

Mine is red cherry shrimps

retardo
28th Feb 2006, 01:28 PM
Why must there be male around? Is it true?
I always isolate my pregnant CRS from the rest.

you need the male to fertilize the eggs. unfertilized eggs will *always* be dropped regardless of how little stress or how good your water conditions are.

cheesenips
28th Feb 2006, 04:42 PM
How long was she holding the eggs for? Unfertalized eggs drop pretty quick. If the eggs were fertalized stress may be to blame (water quaility, tankmates, ect)

kensk
28th Feb 2006, 06:51 PM
you need the male to fertilize the eggs. unfertilized eggs will *always* be dropped regardless of how little stress or how good your water conditions are.

Hm...i thought the female will mate with the male abt 2 days before they actually produce the eggs. So the eggs you see on the female are definitely fertilised.

I always moved the pregnant CRS to a separate compartment. So far so good...have one good brood of ard 40 babies.

nlarry
28th Feb 2006, 07:47 PM
Thank you for all the suggestion and i tested the water today:

ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: safe level

and the 15G only holds 10 red cherry shrimps and 5 Japonica shrimps. I think there are 4 males red cherry in the tank. Thanks for more input!!